“Great, Except for Manners” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clafoutis French Bakery & Restaurant

Clafoutis French Bakery & Restaurant
402 N Guadalupe, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Historic District)
(505) 988-1809
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 464 restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Bakery, French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Dessert
Neighborhood: Historic District
Tucson
“Great, Except for Manners”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great, Except for Manners

If you want to enjoy a nice finish to a late lunch, DO NOT ARRIVE AFTER 2:30 PM!

My daughter and I were in Santa Fe for our annual late October trip from Tucson to experience the Autumn season with delightfully cool temperatures and beautiful color - escaping the unrelenting Tucson heat. We had read many positive reviews for Clafoutis while in the trip planning stage and decided this was going to be the place for our Friday, and final, lunch (October 26) in town. We arrived at 3:05 PM and were aware of the 4:00 PM closing time. We ordered the Salade Charlotte and The Country, neither of which required cooking time. The restaurant had only one other table that was occupied. The polite but somewhat harried server did not speak French, as some other reviewers had mentioned. Our generous and lovely meals arrived within ten minutes. We were both delighted with the quality of our selections, were fully enjoying ourselves, recounting our wonderful last few days in Northern New Mexico and saying how we would certainly write very positive reviews for this restaurant. We were nearly finsihed and ready to ask for take home boxes when the server came to the table about 3:35 PM and asked that I select a dessert that was a part of my order. At 3:40 PM this server began to loudly stack the dining chairs upon the tables. He came to our table asking us to take care of the bill and delivered the to go boxes at 3:45 PM. We said nothing about the "rush", transferred the remaining food into the boxes and promptly paid the bill, leaving several minutes before the 4:00 PM closing time. Upon exciting the dining area moving toward the front door, we had to walk through the floor sweepings - not a particularly pleasant sight nor last memory of the lunch.

I want to emphasize that both my daughter and I have worked in public businesses with stated closing times and would NEVER rush customers. We were obviously near completing our transaction. At closing time, we might offer a polite and gentle reminder of the hour. Note, that we had already indicated the need for boxes to go. We are very respectful of other's time. This behavior led us to make the opening review comment.

In summation: Manners poor; Food very good; Go early!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I usually go to clafoutis once a month. The atmosphere is a bit loud... it is always crowded & chaotic whenever I go...but the food is always yummy! The staff is always cheerful & efficient. I recommend clafoutis!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Augusta, Georgia
“Can you be in love with a bakery? Because I think I am a little bit...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

If I would have known how wonderful this little bakery was I would have been every day that I stayed in Santa Fe for breakfast and lunch. (except Sunday, because they are closed).
Parking is hellish. Just be forewarned. If you park in the back lot you may have slight problems getting back out if people line the sides of the restaurant.
I had the Croquet Madame. You have to have the Croquet Madame. A lovely little sandwich on sourdough with bechemel, ham, cheese, maybe some other stuff and a fried egg on top. Fantastic! I also was eyeing the coconut french toast...maybe next time. I got some madeleines and turnovers to go. An absolute must!

Houston
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Three of us went for breakfast and enjoyed every bite. Loved this little restaurant which really reminded me of some of the boulangeries in Paris. Two of us had the breakfast sandwich which was so good, but not quite as good as the omelette provencal my husband carried on about. The orange juice was freshly squeezed and oh so yummy. My only regret? That we didn't go back the next morning!

New York City, New York
“Wonderful french food, Warm atmosphere, Amazingly reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have to admit that I felt a bit guilty going to a french restaurant during my first visit to Santa Fe. Not any more. It's no surprise that this family run business is so popular. I ordered the warm goat cheese salad, which is incredibly fresh, with the creamiest, most delicious goat cheese. My husband ordered cheese & pâté with salad and 2 rolls, plus a raspberry tart. Of course, I had to taste his rolls and dessert. Wonderful. My only disappointment was the madeleines. Our friend Mary Ellen makes terrific madeleines, and we always compare hers to french bakeries and restaurants. Mary Ellen still has no equal.