“Impeccable Service at Secluded Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

You added Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   198 State Road 592, Santa Fe, NM 87506 (Formerly Encantado, An Auberge Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Mexico
“Impeccable Service at Secluded Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Beautiful quiet secluded intimate resort. Impeccable service! Complimentary use of Mercedes during stay was such a treat. A very "mod" feel to the place. Wood burning fireplace in the room and on the patio very nice. Comfortable beds. Be aware the ground floor rooms have concrete floors - kind of cold in the bedroom but heated in the bathroom. Huge soaking tub.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

My stay began about 10 days after New Year's, evidently a very slow time at the resort (the first night, only two of the 65 rooms/suites were occupied. This increased slightly during the next three evenings). As I needed rest and relaxation, I was glad it was so tranquil.

I took advantage of an off-season promotion that enabled me to have what I was told is the best suite on the property (because of the panoramic, relatively unobstructed view to the west), Room 64, for less than 1/3 of the nightly rate during high season (summer), which is $1,200. The decor was casually elegant Southwestern and comfortable, over 1,100 square feet, with a huge bathroom with heated floor and a soaking tub (plus large shower). The refrigerator was stocked with bottled water, soda, beer, ale, wine, and (for some reason) Dewar's scotch. All nonalcoholic beverages are complimentary. There was also a drawer with snacks (for which there is a charge), and a Keurig coffeemaker that I didn't use. I requested and received a microwave.

There were two flat-screen TVs (and a library of DVDs at the front desk), a table that barely accommodated a laptop (I had no problem with the wireless connection), lots of coffee-table-sized art books, and a fireplace with wood already in place (which I had no trouble lighting) and more firewood outside on the patio, which has a second fireplace and several chaises longues that receive sunshine in the afternoon. There's a choice of free newspapers delivered to your door, including the New York Times.

I ate breakfast in the resort restaurant all four mornings, as well as two dinners. All the meals were satisfying, and the service was attentive. The bar is well stocked (including, for example, Tanqueray No. 10, not found in every tavern) and has comfortable seating.

The option to be chauffeured into Santa Fe and back in a Mercedes-Benz was a big plus, especially if you're unfamiliar with the town and/or would prefer not to drink/dine at one of the many fine restaurants there and then have to drive, yourself.

The staff members all remembered my name and were friendly.

I had no difficulty finding my way about the property. There is a hiking trail circling the resort, about a mile long, with a fork that offers a longer walk into the surrounding foothills.

I enjoyed an excellent Swedish massage in the full-service spa, and I recommend masseuse Janis Diamond.

My only less than pleasant memory is of the forced-air heating system in the suite. This wouldn't be a concern most of the year, but on a really cold evening (subzero, my first night), when the blower comes on and off repeatedly all night, it's noisy, and will wake up a light sleeper like me. Alternatively, on a chilly morning, if you've had the thermostat set at the minimum temp of 60 all night, when you get up the suite will be cold and will take about an hour to be comfortable. The frigid first night I experienced is an aberration for the Santa Fe area, though.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My wife and I and 2 teenage daughters opted for Encantado at the last moment after having our New York trip canceled due to the blizzard. I decided to find somewhere nice within driving distance of Colorado as a "consolation prize" for the female segment of the family - after all, the bags were already packed and they were itching to do something! Of course, Tripadvisor was the first place I looked and the reviews looked great - so a quick phone call later we were on our way.

We arrived at Encantado after a 6-hour drive (still quicker than traveling to NY). We got there just after dark and had to struggle a little to find the place (even with GPS support) as the resort is out of town and the GPS's don't have correct coordinates by about a mile. There is also inadequate signage (particularly after dark) - and this comment applies within the resort grounds as well. More by faith and good luck did we find the main building and get checked in - but I can't fault the friendliness or professionalism of the staff.

The bell captain offered to show us to our "casita", but I declined in the belief that it couldn't possibly be too hard to find - a wrong assumption. After driving to the nominated area and parking, I stumbled around in semi-darkness trying to differentiate between casita clusters (they're built in 4's) and even individual casitas, as most of the room numbers were either obscured or so poorly lit I had to wander right up to each door to see what was what. Eventually I found the correct casitas (we had 2 so the girls could have their own) and we moved in.

The accommodations are superb - the decor and quality are definitely first rate and all the usual facilities (plus some) were provided - even pre-laid open fireplaces in each room just waiting for a match, which they duly received. No complaints here at all, and the girls thought they were real princesses. After arranging a dinner reservation at the resort's restaurant (located right next to the lobby), we dressed and wandered back down the semi-lit paths rather than bother with the car. A very pleasant 3-minute stroll and we were ready to eat.

The restaurant was a major surprise. Service is excellent, very extensive wine list, well thought out menu - not always the case in "house restaurants" in my experience. But the biggest surprise was the quality of the food - we all had different dishes and everybody was stealing from the others' plates to sample them all. We even ordered 4 different desserts and shared the lot - having so much fun it should be illegal. Major kudos to the chef and kitchen. Definitely not cheap by any standards - but neither is the whole resort, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Next day we were able to see the place in its entirety in daylight, and it is located in a beautiful part of New Mexico with the expected adobe architecture and desert-like surrounds. It's also only a 10-minute drive to the "Square" in Santa Fe, so it manages to combine privacy and isolation with convenient access to town. They even provide free "shuttle" service ( a whole fleet of Mercedes) to and from town at arranged times - something the girls enjoyed greatly.

We spent 2 nights there and were greatly impressed. Apart from the slight false start finding our way around in the dark, we could not fault the place - and my wife and I could definitely see ourselves going back without the kids (Santa Fe is not a great teenage destination at the best of times).

Only two other minor criticisms, neither of which were significant. Firstly, free wireless internet access is provided throughout the resort, but the reliability and performance were shaky at best. However, each room has an ethernet jack by the desk, so a quick request for a cable solved that problem nicely. Secondly, this establishment apparently chooses to make credit card charges for various components of the stay in a strangely arbitrary way, rather than a single charge on checkout - which made for a very confusing reconciliation when I checked my CC statement. Some of the charges were even done 3 days after we left, which certainly confused the whole experience unnecessarily. In the end the total charges were correct, but manual reconciliation should not be necessary.

In summary, a fine place for some relaxing down-time and/or romantic getaway. Kids are certainly treated well and very respectfully, but probably aren't the prime target - this is a much better environment for adult relaxation with minimal hustle-bustle. We will happily return when those circumstances apply.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

New Mexico is just a beautiful place period, and this resort has been set up to take full advantage of that. Everything from the grounds, the spa, to the restaurant and the outdoor seating areas are set up to take advantage of the foothills, sunset and big beautiful New Mexican sky.

I'm a sucker for good room service and the Encantado does not disappoint. Too many times hotels offer watered down versions of local cuisine. Not here. Order the chilaquiles for breakfast, yum!

Many people have reported trouble lighting the indoor fireplace, as did we, however, we just called housekeeping and they sent someone up right away to light it for us. No big deal. Heated floors in the bathroom were a big plus, since we came during winter when it can get really cold.

We drove ourselves up to Taos and it was such a scenic, beautiful drive. Visit the Taos pueblo and learn about the local culture or shop in the Plaza to see some funky, fun little shops. We also drove the "Turquoise Trail" which was a lot of fun as well.

We can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Tulsa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Love Encantado!!!
Went to Santa Fe on recommendation of friends, and found a great deal on Encantado for the 4th of July, my anniversary. From the start we loved it. Great rooms with a terrific bathroom and patio.
The service is impeccable. Upon our arrival from Albequerque, while checking in my husband mentioned needing a latte. Upon receiving our room key, a server from the neighboring bar brought us out 2 lattes.
We chose to hike and go into town a few times through the long weekend, and were pleasantly surprised to be offered a late model Mercedes to drive around in while we were there. Again, service is impeccable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel: beautiful property, impeccable service, and great location away from center of town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We just got married at Encantado Resort. It was absolutely perfect. The staff at Encantado are incredible, especially their catering manager Felicia. She is the consummate professional and insured that absolutely everything went well. Most of our family and friends stayed at Encantado and everyone loved it. I can't say enough good things about it. This was our third stay there and we never would have chosen to get married there if our first experience wasn't fantastic. Beautiful setting, great food, wonderful casitas, and superb staff.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Had the pleasure of spending 4 nights at this lovely place. We arrived and were told that we had been upgraded to a Summit Suite which was very nice - with both an indoor and outdoor fireplace (with loads of wood provided), extra deep soaking tub, wet bar (ice provided every afternoon) and lots of extras.

The location is a bit out of town - but dont let that stop you since the bell men will drive you into town for dinner (or anytime) and then pick you up (a great service if you enjoy a few drinks with dinner). It was kind of nice leaving the tourist 'scene' in town behind. Also - make sure to borrow one of the Mercedes convertibles and cruise some mountain roads (yeah, we were living like rock stars). A great change from driving our junky rental car.
If time allows, make sure you eat at least one night in the restaurant - the executive chef is excellent and creative - we really enjoyed the 4 course menu and specialty cocktails.

We have stayed at some very fine hotels in our travels - and I must say the service was really extraordinary - without every being snooty. Every staff member we met was helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable - From the chamber maids to the bartender.

Don't miss this place - its pretty special

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe? Share your experiences!