“Good but not excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

You added Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   198 State Road 592, Santa Fe, NM 87506 (Formerly Encantado, An Auberge Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Los Angeles
“Good but not excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

TripAdvisor has always been a valuable resource in helping me plan my trips. I want to provide my feedback here so that it will help you make your decision. Comments provided below are not meant as criticism but feedback for management to make improvements.

We were specifically looking for a quiet getaway destination resort outside of Santa Fe and decided to stay at Encantado (in a Vista Casita) for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend in May 2010.

In a nutshell:
- Great location, expansive view
- Spacious, comfortable, private, quiet, well appointed room and bath
- Excellent (Terra) restaurant
- Friendly staff
- Service was good but not excellent (should be a lot better to be considered 5 star)
- Nicely designed Spa facility with good treatment
- Well equipped gym facility for a serious workout and cardio
- In-room iPod dock
- Wi-Fi Internet connection
- Nightly turn down “treats” are different and delicious!

Conclusion:
There were many rave reviews about the service here so I was a little disappointed that it was not spectacular. It wasn’t even great. Just good at best. (I get better service at a W Hotel or at a Ritz Carlton.) Within the Santa Fe area, I don’t believe there are many options for upscale resorts so I would still stay here again if I wanted to be in the Santa Fe area and/or if I can find a great deal! Otherwise, there are other upscale destination resort options elsewhere (eg: Amangani in Jackson Hole, WY)

Full review:
Overall, we wanted the experience to be excellent based on the top dollar rates they commended but felt that the value was not all there. In fairness, the staff really tried to go out of their way to provide top service but I felt it was not consistent throughout and awkward in some instances. Seems like the staff are relatively new and not “seasoned” or experienced (not as confident) compared to other upscale resorts (Four Seasons, Aman Resorts, etc) in this price range.

This is not a big deal but serves as an example: On the first evening, we requested ice for the room. On the second evening, they had turned down the room but no ice provided. On our way to the dining room for dinner, we stopped at the front desk to request ice for the room and after an enthusiastic “yes, we’ll take care of it!” Arrived back at the room later with no ice! Had to call again for ice. The expectation for a high end resort is to “know” our needs after our first request that we would like ice in the room! It should have been provided at turn down every evening. AND certainly when a request was made in person, it should have been delivered as promised! So a missed opportunity to "Wow" us!

Another morning, when the host sat us down for breakfast. She asked abruptly, “What is your name?” I thought her directness was rather rude?! Especially since she never explained WHY she needed to know my name?! In a smaller upscale property with less than 100 rooms … The expectation is that the staff would greet you by name or at least recognize you and make the connection that we had spoken before.

There’s several mention in the reviews here about the overall design of the property and I have to agree that it was not as well thought out as it could have been. This is not something they can be resolved at this point but it’s unfortunate but the views are definitely not maximized or “framed” for impact from the guest rooms and public spaces. The convenience of driving up to your casita is similar to the design of a motel (albeit a very expensive motel) and looking over the parking area with the occasional noise, (not to mention the numerous white service carts), are minor nits but just not consistent with a place of enchantment?

We had a rental car so we did not use the (Mercedes-Benz) car service but thought the shuttle service into downtown Santa Fe was a great idea.

Since we had our own rental car, the check-in process was a bit awkward. After conducting the paperwork at the front desk (which was painless and efficient), we had to follow the bellman (driving his Benz) to our Casita. As we unloaded our bags, he tried to wrestle them away from us (in the name of service). It was odd, so in the end, we just asked for the room key and parted ways in the parking area.

Our room (a Vista Casita) was on the second level and was well appointed! (As you would expect at these rates.) This was probably the best part of the whole experience. Our room looks exactly like those photos featured on their website. It’s spacious with a large bathroom, large bath towels, large soaking tub, large separate shower stall with a single shower head (a dual shower head and/or a shower wand would have been nice!), in-room Kiva fireplace, large closet, and a large spacious and private patio deck. (Yes, the rooms have an iPod dock!)

Again, the orientation of the Casita could have been better situated to take FULL advantage of the spectacular view. All they needed to do was rotate it by 20 degrees to face the view. Instead you are facing the sides of the Spa building?

The Spa is designed as a private enclosure with an inner courtyard. Since it didn’t take advantage of the view, it could have been situated elsewhere on the property. Instead, it’s right in the middle blocking some of the view corridors from the casitas.

We had spa treatments and they met our expectation and were comparable to other resorts. Unfortunately, the men’s steam room was out of order while we were there. There is a private jacuzzi/outdoor patio area for sunbathing within the men’s locker room area. I was relaxing and enjoying the moment until a FEMALE spa attendant walked in to service the area!!?! I don’t know who was more embarrassed?! She was apologetic but after that, it just ruined the mood and I decided to leave.

The pool area was most disappointing for a destination resort. I’m assuming the metal railing around the pool is part of a required safety code? It felt like an afterthought and wasn’t well integrated into the overall design. Again, it reminded me of a motel pool! The Jacuzzi here was small and not at all inviting. The water was cold and it looked dirty?

Unfortunately, while I was trying to enjoy the sunshine by the poolside one morning, there was a young child playing loudly in the pool. He was shouting/whining back and forth to his mother (or grandmother?) and she made no attempt to control him. In fact, she was just as annoying! It wasn’t relaxing. After 10 minutes I had to leave the pool area!!! (PARENTS: Please… when you’re in public with your children, please supervise them appropriately!!!! This is not a child oriented resort.) Obviously this is of no fault of Encantado. However, management could place discreet signs to encourage a peaceful, quiet environment. Nameste!!!

The resort has a well equipped gym with free weights, fitness machines, treadmills, bikes and other cardio machines. There’s also a Yoga pavilion.

Terra restaurant at the Resort was superb. I thought it was actually better than Geronimo’s (rated one of the best in Santa Fe) which we also dined at on this visit. The bar menu is also great if you want a more casual dining experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is a luxury resort in a gorgeous secluded setting a short distance from Sante Fe. At first I was put off by the number of staff that ran out to great us when we arrived, but then I kind of sunk into the luxury of the place and the excellent service. Our room overlooked the mountains, was so beautifully decorated in calm colors with the most comfortable bed. Beyond this, extra touches like homemade chocolates on our bed at turn down serivce, the spa which can be used by guests includes a hot tub strewn with flowers, a steam room and rain showers, and the free non-alcoholic drinks from the in room fridge. The night sky is filled with stars, we sat at the bar having dinner (each night we ate there, there is a fancy restaurant with a reasonible tasting menu at $44 with large portions, the second night was bar fare). There is a large fireplace at the bar, and also in each room. You really have to allow yourself to sink into the beauty and solitude combined with modern design and impeccable service. One thing I would add would be a clock radio or a way to play music beyond what is on the satellite tv. The conceirage was fabulous, a local person it seemed who had the best tips for where to stop on the high road to Taos where we drove one of the days we were there. We could have borrowed the Mercedes convertabile (!!!) available for guests on a first come first serve basis, but we drove our car. I can't wait to return to this relaxing, heavenly oasis near the fun and cultural excitement of Sante Fe. There are also many Pueblos around the hotel which you could explore.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

spent the memorial day weekend plus one at Encantado, the choice was weighed heavily as after reading reviews both here and elsewhere, google search,etc,etc,and never been to Santa Fe, we made this choice ,and only after found out it's five star rated AAA,whatever that status affords, I belong to AAA but did not use them to decide,enough intro, this place is fabulous with perks and amenities beyond expectation, the restaurant was everything stated for food and dining, even breakfast for that matter, the fitness center is well furnished and everything is new,they even provide clean headphones for use along with water and equipment to get the holiday maintenance work out in,Pool,hot tub even a yoga room, we were in a suite that provided everything and then some, even the other room type were ambitious as we looked at them all, some though do have the parking lot view, but you've got to park somewhere and I bet in the winter that's a different point, this by no means demeans the units but we are all picky so some of us from the big city may want a different perspective, and this is available, they provide complimentary mercedes convertible use first come first serve and it's complimentary.
Best vote for romance and solitude solo, and they even take animals, responsibility for obviously a prerequisite. five star all the way from ground staff to the excellent concierge service..We will be back for certain.... as with everything in life, negotiate negotiate negotiate Auberge is first class all the way

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Stayed 5/19-5/22 in a vista suite (thanks to a LHW upgrade). This is a wonderful place only 10 minutes from downtown Santa Fe. The rooms are luxurious but you do not need to spend the extra bucks for a room with a view (vista room). The view is nice but can be seen just as well from the main building. They have a free car service to take you into town. The spa is wonderful-I had the best massage I've ever had in my life.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I'm going to echo most of the recent reviews here. I've been fortunate enough to stay at some of the best hotels and resorts in the world, and came to Encantado with high expectations. We were absolutely blown away. The service was flawless from the moment we pulled up until the day we left. Warm, friendly, efficient, knowledgeable, and professional. I was careless enough to leave my driver's license behind and a bellman rushed it to the Santa Fe airport in time for my flight. I was a Four Seasons assistant hotel manager many years ago and would be proud to call this staff my own.

Other than service, I can only rave about the gorgeous and well-equipped rooms, incredible spa, and fabulous bar and restaurant. Little things really make a difference here --- they don't charge for non-alcoholic minibar drinks and were flexible with what we ordered for breakfast despite being booked under a package that included a 'continental breakfast.' I've been to so many hotels where I feel nickeled-and-dimed, even in the $400-500/night range, and the Encantado's approach was very refreshing. I'd give very little attention to the negative comments about the parking lot. Just a slight movement of your eyes will switch your focus to the spectacular sunsets and the person you're spending time at Encantado with rather than the parking lot. Big picture, people.

I look forward to a return visit and will spread the word about this resort to a large number of Dallasites I know who escape to this beautiful town several times a year. It is worth every dime and then some.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We had a fabulous weekend stay at Encantado. I have been to many high end resorts and service is what seems to separate the five star resorts from the above average resorts. Encantado is definitely a five star resort and does not disappoint in service. They provide you with unlimited transfers throughout the santa fe area in one of their mercedes . This includes the airport and the plaza in santa fe. They satisfied every possible request that we had. The rooms are remarkable and include private patios, woodburning fireplaces, and complimentary nonalcohoic beverages. The Spa is one of the best that we have seen. I have nothing negative to say. This hotel ranks favorable with any hotel that I have stayed in. I have stayed in the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel, the Grand Del Mar, Four Seasons Austin, and the MGM Skylofts in the last year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

My wife and I recently spent 6 days at the Encantado Resort (An Auberge Chain Hotel) located about 10 min north of Santa Fe. In looking at hotels, we originally planned to stay in the heart of downtown Santa Fe, but this resort, north of town, caught my attention. From the first contact (via telephone with the on site reservations person) it was clear this was an exceptional property. Courtesy of staff began with that reservations person and never fell below that high level.

We visited in the very "off" season, late Feb, and at that time of year, we felt we had the resort to ourselves. The first weekdays, I think there were no more than 4 other guests besides ourselves there. The temp during the day was in the low 30s, but we had mostly sun all but 2 days, and those days had light snow which was very nice. Bring a warm jacket, and if you really get cold, maybe gloves and a hat.

They basically have 3 room types, the pinion, vista and suite rooms (all of the above known as casitas. The pinion rooms have a limited view, being obstructed by either other buildings or bushes. The vista casitas, while including a view, do not all have the same type of view, as we discovered. Some of the buildings are oriented away from the "300 mile view" described by our reservations person. And depending on which room, your view can be partially clipped by the solid wall between units (usually there are four units per building, two upper units and two lower units). Your view is excellent if you go to the balcony and look out, but unless you are near the balcony doors you will not see the distant peaks above Los Alamos. So upon arrival, we were given one of the rooms that faced more north and did not have that amazing view we expected, and because the sun is low in the sky in winter, the room was not as bright as we hoped.

The bellman was very nice and offered to let us see some other rooms, but as we never really found one that was available with the view we wanted, he suggested the suites. Normally in winter, suites go for $700 a night, but we were offered a very reasonable rate and as this was a one time getaway for us, we accepted and were not disappointed.

The suite rooms are huge (maybe 1100 sq feet), with separate bedroom and living room, very large bathroom, large closet, safe, and a gigantic tub that fits two easily with complete submersion (and fills fast). The living room has a couch, chairs and fireplace. A fully stocked refrigerator has a great assortment of complimentary drinks such as soda, fruit juices, ginger ale, etc (restocked every day) and you can purchase the alcoholic beverages if you prefer. The bathroom floors are heated and the decor is first rate. Both the living room and the bedroom open via doors onto your own private balcony with chairs and an outdoor fireplace. Its a very romantic room if you can afford it! The look is very "Santa Fe" with 9 foot double pine doors to the bedroom. There are two bathrooms (a small guest type bathroom off the living room is a great feature. There are two large flat screen tvs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room,each with a DVD player, but the channel selection was very limited. I think there were 40 channels, of which 2 were music only. --however, we did not come to watch tv!

We had flown in to Albuquerque (via Southwest) and rented a car for the approximately 1 hour drive, but the hotel offers free daily shuttles to town every hour if you dont want to drive and park in Santa Fe. During winter, traffic is very light, but this would be a big benefit in peak season, as parking costs in the garages. I understand some airlines fly directly to the Santa Fe airport.

The room is so nice we spent several days without going off property. Speaking of the property, there is a spa and restaurant, pool (Closed in winter) jacuzzi, and exercise room. My wife had a massage, and she said it was very good. We also used the exercise room which had all Precor machines and plenty to keep 20 people busy (we were alone in there). The resort backs up to some type of natural reserve area, and we heard coyotes very nearby the first night (didnt hear them again). There was free high speed internet which worked every time.

The on site restaurant and bar is very nice. I highly recommend the lamb quesadillas and their chips and salsa in the bar. At the two nights we ate at the hotel restaurant, the food was fantastic and the service exceptional. In some restaurants, when things are slow, they tend to hover over you, but not so here. The wait staff was professionally trained and knew when to inquire and when to leave you alone. The chef came out to meet guests, which was a very nice touch.

I guess you can see a pattern to my review. The staff makes the hotel, and every single person we dealt with (from the bellman to the driver of the shuttle) were professional, courteous, and friendly.

Ok, you ask, no one is perfect, so what would I change? Well, the rooms use pine firewood and it was difficult to get a fire started (they give you newspaper and some log lighter "tabs", but still was hard at times). My wife does not like the smell of a fireplace, so if you dont like the slight smokey smell, you might want to not use the fireplace. The staff cleans it each day and it does not bother me, but I have suggested to the hotel to change to gas logs (the real looking kind of logs with the "ember" look as it will be easier on the guests and much easier on the cleaning staff. speaking of cleaning staff, they completely stock you with everything each day, including 4 sets of towels. They are really big towels too!

We had room service 3 times and the food was delivered hot and within 30 minutes and was excellent. But the only table to eat on in the room is a small round table with a built in bench seat behind it, and the chairs in the room are too low to eat comfortably, so I put a pillow on the seat to boost me up (I'm 5'10" tall). If you are going to be doing work in the room, you might want to have them bring you a regular height table chair.

If you like to get away from it all, this place is REALLY quiet. It was perfect for us. What struck us from the first was how quiet it was in this little canyon they call home. However, Santa Fe offers all that people come here for, including many fine restaurants, shopping, and historical sites like the Loretto Chapel and the mission that dates from the 1600s. A great italian restaurant in Santa Fe is Il Piatto. We were both very disappointed with the Georgia O'Keefe gallery and do not recommend paying $10 per person to go in. The gallery has very little of her work and was half taken up by another female artist whose work was not very good.

One of the days we went to the Santa Fe Ski Resort about 30 min from Santa Fe. I highly recommend this to both beginners and advanced skiiers as the mountain has lots of easy slopes, intermediate, and advanced stuff. At the time of year we went, we basically walked on all lifts and had outstanding weather. An afternoon pass was only $45 and rentals were $22.

Another day we visited the "Mecca" for all persons who have any interest in the WWII atomic weapons program or are history buffs: Los Alamos. Only 45 min away, the Bradbury Museum is a fascinating place to spend an afternoon while they make secret things on the mesa just opposite the town. Walk the streets were Oppenheimer and others walked after they designed the first atomic bombs. We recommend the Hill Cafe nearby.

We had a great time and plan to come back again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple