“Simple comfort, minimalistic and spacious- not "in" Santa Fe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

You added Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   198 State Road 592, Santa Fe, NM 87506 (Formerly Encantado, An Auberge Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free
Ranked #8 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Miami Beach, Florida
“Simple comfort, minimalistic and spacious- not "in" Santa Fe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I am not a fan of "resorts" when I visit a city like Santa Fe because I would rather stay in the center of town so that I can catch up the "vibe" of the city, but we had heard so much about the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado that we decided to check it out during a recent visit.

The resort is located in beautiful setting about 10 miles from the center of town. They have a shuttle service that could take you into town, but the last pick up from the city is around 10:30 PM and I found that to be somewhat restrictive, especially if you want to lounge at one of the local bars after diner and break away from the resort. When we returned and got back to the hotel, the lounge was already closing which i found surprising -(we were expecting them to be open late especially because of the 10:30 PM curfew coming back). No apologies were made about it. " We are closing", is what we were told.

The rooms are huge with plenty of windows and light which we love, and i believe they all have a patio with lounge chairs. I found the staff helpful but not very attentive and somewhat distracted at times. I particularly found the service at the lounge and restaurant to be pretty average. I found myself constantly trying to catch the attention of servers, which were trying to get our orders at the bar while talking to other customers - this is a Four Seasons and you definitely expect professionalism and courtesy, if not to be "pampered" to say the least.

The restaurant is popular and many people come from town for dinner. The resort seems to be very popular with wealthy texans and you will notice. The best service we received was from the Valet and Bellman. They were great. The resort also has several convertible cars which they will make available to you for a whole day, but make sure you book the vehicle the day before.

Overall, I was expecting a lot more. The facilities are excellent, the service average to mediocre, the location is beautiful but too far from the city for my taste and the price.....definitely not worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Greetings From Santa Fe,

I am so glad to hear that you loved your room, especially the big windows and ample light, as well as the over all feel of the resort, though the resort was a little off the beaten path, I think it is one of the features that make it special. Being in the foothills it is a magical setting and lends itself to great opportunities for hiking and exploring the beauty of the high desert.

I was disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Especially the shuttle service and the service in Terra Bar. The problems you highlighted are not in keeping with the standards that we continually strive to maintain, and the appropriate conversations have been made.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns in more detail, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the number listed below. We take your feedback seriously and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to regain your trust and confidence. Again, thank you for your feedback.

(505) 946-5700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our daughter was married here over the July 4th weekend. I can't overstate how impressed we were--with everything! The property is beautiful and beautifully situated, and small enough to create a truly intimate feeling.
The food and rooms were just excellent. But what really stood out was the quality of the staff--without exception. Front desk, concierge, restaurant staff, event staff, housekeeping staff, bar staff, valet staff, spa staff--ALL just so highly professional, friendly and attentive. In all our years of traveling, our experience here was just the best--largely due to the staff! Everyone who attended the wedding agreed fully!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Web209,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are so pleased that your daughter’s wedding was enjoyable and that you were so impressed with everything! It is great that you were able to enjoy all of the enhancements of our Resort and that your event was a wonderful success. Our catering staff works diligently to make special events, such as yours, seamless and beautiful! I completely agree that our staff is terrific, and we all appreciate your kind words. I will gladly share your comments with all of our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. Once again, your time and comments are truly appreciated. We look forward to your next visit to our resort!

Kindest regards,

Cindy Racco,
Butler, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This place is off the beaten path, which depending on your preference, could be good or bad. First, this is the Four Seasons, right? My family of four (2 teens) stayed here recently, our first visit to New Mexico. First, this is not a traditional hotel. The resort is spread out and your "room" is actually small buildings around the property called casitas. When booking, keep in mind the location of your casita on the property and if it's a one floor or 2 floor building. Each casita has a couple rooms. We stayed in a one floor casita. The room was huge by hotel standards and spaciously fit all 4 of us, 2 queen beds plus a cot! The bathroom was luxurious and spa-like, with heated floors a soaking tub, huge shower, and a separate commode area.This was good and bad because you had to pass the shower to get to the commode and offers no privacy if someone was in the shower as the door is clear glass. There was a bar area with a Keurig, a stocked refrigerator, and snacks, keep in mind the cost though.There was a fireplace in our room with wood and firestarter (bring s'mores if you have kids) and a pergola covered patio right outside the full glass sliding doors with lounge chairs and a table. Unfortunately our view was of the front lodge but other casitas had wonderful views of beautiful vistas. Although our casita didn't have the best view, it was close to the main lodge and a short walk to the pool/gym/spa. We had some drawbacks but the staff was accommodating and came as soon as called! Everyone was pleasant and friendly. There is a small store on the property but it doesn't carry all the necessities, it is more like a boutique. For example, I needed tylenol but all they had was advil, which I can't take. I used the spa for a massage and it was great but keep in mind you will have to pay for "enhancements" which is just aromatherapy and cost $15 plus $150 for a 50 min massage. (back home I pay $80 and the "enhancement" is included!) Now for some negatives, which I really didn't anticipate from a Four Seasons. This is a RESORT! not really a "hotel". The wi-fi is free but only for 2 devices and you can buy "premium" wi-fi (which is supposedly faster) for an additional $15, make sure you bring your portable wi-fi. There were small ants in the room. Once we called housekeeping, they did take care of it but the ants did come back toward the end of our trip. There are dogs allowed. My neighbor at home has 6 dogs, another 11, I don't want to hear dogs barking when I'm relaxing on my vacation. Housekeeping, although quick when called, was sketchy on a daily basis. Some days they wouldn't replace shampoo, coffee, or creamers, dishes and they wouldn't take the dirty dishes so we would leave them outside as not to exacerbate the ant problem. There is a Keurig in the room but it didn't work properly. Toward the end of our stay, the flu in the chimney would make a squeaking noise. Although maintenance came to take a look it led to a couple sleepless nights. The pool gates slam, so if guests don't close the gate gently, it makes a loud bang and I was woken up at least 4 times from a nap. The ATM didn't work the whole time we were there, so make sure you have cash for tips before you arrive. Keep in mind, you are at least a 20 minute drive from downtown Santa Fe. Once at the hotel, forget about a nice stroll for a frozen yogurt, there is nothing around, hence the title of my post, it's remote! Also, keep in mind, most places in Santa Fe close at 5pm, so time yourself wisely. We did visit our local Albertsons to bring in some snacks and drinks as if you travel with teen boys you would understand the need. For this reason and to avoid the "hangries", we ate at the hotel quite a few times, especially breakfast, which is not inexpensive. I think $15 for 2 eggs, and an "enhancement" which is fruit, toast, or bacon/sausage, is a little excessive. We ate dinner there once. The food was good but living in a major metropolis, I didn't think it was worthy of the price. The "special" was $100 bucks for a wagyu steak, which I may be a steak snob as I've said, living in a major city, have dined at some of the best steakhouses. One more thing, I guess my OCD was acting up, but this is THE FOUR SEASONS, I don't expect to see trash in the landscaping. The same wrappers were there for at least 4 days of our stay.
The take away here is, it's beautiful (they even have a mile hike around the property guided or unguided) which is very scenic, they are friendly and accommodating. I think it is best suited for folks looking for a romantic get away or a retreat. I wouldn't visit again as a family to tour the area. I will miss the humming birds, smell of lavender, the turn down service, and the friendly smiles and service of the staff.

Room Tip: Choose a single floor room around the number 40, these have nicer views and aren't too far from...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear jerzygirl46335,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort following your stay with us. Your review regarding our restaurant will definitely be passed onto our Food and Beverage Director as well as your housekeeping, spa, concerns in regards to the landscaping. We only want our guests to experience the absolute best, and we are genuinely sorry this was not the case for you during your visit.

505 946-5700
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Great service and staff are very accommodating. The GM is very personable and made sure our stay was memorable. Food is as good as any Michelin starred restaurant. Highly recommend this property and all aspects exceeded expectations. I would definitely come back....the views alone are worth the trip.

Stayed July 2014
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Greetings from the City Different,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your feedback. First I would like to personally say, “Thank you” I try to meet all of our guests and here at Four Seasons Rancho Encantado we believe that all guests are friends and family! I love to speak with guests, hear feedback about the resort and always have the opportunity to improve and grow. We are so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your visit. Thank you for your very kind words about Terra Restaurant, Chef Cooper and staff are truly amazing! I will gladly share your comments with him and the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. Once again, your time and comments are truly appreciated. We look forward to your next visit to our resort!

Arkansaa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed four nights and the resort is beautiful. The service was outstanding and the staff were wonderful. Our suite was great with indoor and outdoor fireplaces and a beautiful view from our patio. The only downside was the restaurant which was fair. It was okay, but not worth the money. Otherwise our stay was perfect.

• Stayed June 2014
Greetings from the Land of Enchantment,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! It pleases me immensely that you were able to enjoy our beautiful resort. However, I hope you will accept my apologies for the challenges that you encountered during your stay, in regards to your meal at Terra Restaurant. Please know that the appropriate discussions have taken place in order for us to ensure that our guests are completely satisfied with their experience.
I am glad that you had an amazing experience with our staff. We are very proud of our employees who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I will share your comments with our Terra and Guest Services Team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!

Kindest regards,

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights June 30 - July 5, 2014. A superb resort in all regards. Excellent service and staff. Nothing but great Four Seasons service. Terra, the restaurant is great. The hotel is located 15 minutes from Santa Fe in the foothills. Shuttle service is provided all day/evening.
This hotel goes out of its way to impress. Understated, casual, but excellent all at once. The gym, pool, in-room dining, friendliness of staff, restaurant, were all tremendous.
Santa Fe is wonderful. Part mountains, part desert. Very scenic. Fresh air, big beautiful, blue skies. Great sightseeing. We hiked and biked. Others enjoy the art galleries or opera, which are world class. A great destination!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob K,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit - everything from the gym, pool, in-room dining, and friendliness of staff. Thank you for the extremely kind words! We agree that Terra Restaurant and Chef Cooper and terrific, your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated and I will certainly pass them on to our staff. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests. Here, just outside of Santa Fe, the combination of foot hills and high dessert are spectacular! I agree the hiking and biking are amazing choices and we hope you'll come back and see us for the Opera and galleries you spoke of, we think we are a well-rounded destination; a little something for everyone!

Warmest regards,
Ventura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Just finishing up a great stay here. This is our third time back and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Santa Fe.
Great views, great food and drinks, relaxing and still close to the plaza.
Oh, and the rooms aren't rooms! They are sweet, warm casitas with lovely private patios!

• Stayed July 2014
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Panda5420,

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! I am especially happy to hear that you loved your casita, we think they are pretty special as well. Some of our favorite features are the heated bathroom floors and the 100 gallon soaking tubs. Thank you so much for the great compliment, "We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Santa Fe!” That means a lot to us, as our entire staff takes much pride in a job well done! We are particularly thrilled you have joined us on multiple occasions and glad we can be a part of your travel family. I hope you will have the chance to come back to the Land of Enchantment and I will have the opportunity to personally greet you. Again thank you so much for your kind words.

Kindest Regards,