We had a very pleasant, comfortable stay at the Four Seasons over Labor Day weekend. The staff was nothing but friendly, and the room was comfortable and spacious. I especially liked the bathroom with radiant heat concrete floors. The setting here is great, and the trails and roads leading from the hotel are great for a morning hike or run. There is a very nice looking spa, and a great fitness room for those who are looking to stay active while on vacation. We really liked staying outside of town in a rural area, and the chauffeured Mercedes shuttle service to/from town makes the 10 minute drive all the more pleasant. The town of Santa Fe is nice, but there's only so much adobe and turquoise you can see; so it is great to stay in a beautiful setting with numerous additional activities.
The negatives come from the fact that this place didn't seem to quite match the look and feel of a typical Four Seasons property where service and amenities are polished from the second you enter the property. The property seemed a bit understaffed, and some of our arrival and bell hop experience seemed unrehearsed and awkward . We arrived at night and it's a very dark property. The process for getting to our room and our bags to our room in pitch black even with the bell hop's assistance was confusing and definitely not seamless.
The main problem with this hotel though is its design. The buildings and décor are simple and attractive enough (especially after you've grown tired of adobe for days, the simplicity of the design here is nice) but the layout of the resort is terrible. There is no clear pathway to any of the guestrooms from the main building, pool and spa area. TO get from about half of the rooms, to the main building, you have to cross parking lots and pass by the back of the spa building which is not particularly attractive, and not masked with much landscaping. At night way finding signage and footpath lighting is poor at best and makes for a potentially dangerous trek to some of the guest rooms. Some of these flaws cannot be changed, but many can be remedied simply.
The resort should invest in MUCH better wayfinding signage (both when driving into the resort, and for walking around the resort), and perhaps create more pleasant attractive pathways with subtle lighting to and from the main area. It would not take a lot as the natural setting here is really beautiful, and the rustic native landscaping is very nice. The pool area could use a little help too. The lounge chairs and pool are fine, but have large overhead lights that look like parking lot lighting. Furthermore, additional patio seating besides chaise lounges seems an afterthought . There are two tables and chairs (Martha Stewart living brand... at least remove the stickers guys), and a large open patio area that could be made so much more luxurious with different outdoor seating areas created.
I still recommend this hotel, as it has great rooms, a great setting, and very friendly, if at times awkward service, but know before going that the experience here will not be quite as 5-star and seamless luxury as what you may expect from the Four Seasons brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under grand skies and infinite stars, rediscover your inner artist in our intimate escape from the ordinary – nestled in a high-mountain desert landscape, minutes from the magic of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Set in 57 unspoiled acres tucked gently into the Sangre de Cristo foothills, Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe is just 10 minutes from Santa Fe’s galleries, shops and distinctive architecture. The Resort offers 65 casita guest rooms and suites, each with its own fireplace and private terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Encantado, An Auberge Hotel Santa Fe
- Encantado Hotel Santa Fe
- Encantado Resort Santa Fe