“Upscale rustic desert escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   198 State Road 592, Santa Fe, NM 87506 (Formerly Encantado, An Auberge Resort)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #6 of 59 hotels in Santa Fe
Dallas, Texas
“Upscale rustic desert escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at numerous four seasons. We loved our stay over MLK weekend and would highly recommend the hotel.

We had a gorgeous casita overlooking the desert. Breathtaking sunrise and sunset views-- asking/paying for a good view is worth it. We came with another couple and they put them one casita over so literally our doors were 10 feet apart-- very convenient for hanging out in the evenings together and picking each other up for breakfast. The beds are wonderful. The bathroom has heated floors, and the tub is so big and so deep my over 6 foot husband and I could bathe together without problem. The closets have motion sensor lights on them, which is super handy, but the doors are so big they are a little cumbersome. The kiva fireplaces are romantic and probably what we'll remember most. I didn't understand why so many reviewers kept writing about them until I was there and we had the fire lit. You can build the fire yourself with the perfectly stacked, perfectly looking firewood outside your door or you can flake out and just call the "fire concierge." Seriously, the cut wood stacked outside the room is so ridiculously clean and perfect we should have taken pictures of it. The fire made the stay so special. We found it odd that there were no L'occitaine products (something we've come to love and, somewhat pathetically, expect when staying at the 4S) , but perhaps this is because they are running out the vendor contract left over from the previous owners. The room stocked with fresh fruit (including an excellent pear), a Keurig coffee maker, and a ton of glasses of all sorts of sizes. There's a great counter area that works well for the housing bottles of wine we brought with us and mixing cocktails. Oh, and the room was CLEAN -- at one point I dropped an earring back and had to fetch it from the corner of the floor far under the bathroom sink counter -- let me tell you it was SPOTLESS down there. Not a speck of dust in sight. I'm talking they must scrub the baseboards something serious.

The food is excellent. We ate dinner at the restaurant every night except one, when we took the concierge's recommendation of a great place in town (La Choza). The menu was trendy, place-appropriate (green chile options, etc), and fun and there was something there for everyone -- including venison, filet, chicken, seafood, and gluten free options. The breakfasts were fantastic. I found the cocktails to be a little odd (not a ton of flavor or interest, kind of derivative), but I'm really picky about my drinks so I don't hold that against the bar.

The service was great, but not as quite great as it's been at other 4S. The vast majority of the staff is absolutely perfect, but there were a couple folks who, while nice and polite, lacked the pristine 4S polish.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear M A:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and very detailed review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado!
We are so pleased that you were able to join us for MLK weekend and that your visit was enjoyable. Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We value your patronage to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was a little worried (based somewhat on the reviews on here) that this hotel would be way out of the way and inconveient to all the things we wanted to do in Santa Fe... Not true at all! It takes at most 15 minutes to get anywhere you'd want to visit in town and the drive back and forth to the hotel is so pretty and relaxing.

The bed was very comfortable and we even checked the brand of the sheets because they were so soft and nice and wanted some for our house. They keep you stocked with fresh chilled water and firewood and a newspaper daily free of charge and will help you start a fire, although we didn't need that. They do try to sucker you into valeting for every trip, but we stopped after day 1 because it wasn't a far walk and we didn't want to wait on the hotel staff to fetch our car every time we were coming and going.

The cleaning ladies were very good and even organized our belongings for us (lined up tolietries, etc.) and the turn-down service at night, although not necessary at all, was a nice touch. The grounds are quiet and pretty and the view from the hotel bar is breathtaking. We visited the hotel bar twice and sat outside on the patio to watch the sunset as long as we could take the cold. All in all, I felt that it was worth it to stay at a nicer place with pretty views even if it wasn't in downtown. If you want to walk to shops, etc., then this place is not for you. However, we had no problem parking downtown and appreciated the seclusion and the fact that we didn't have a downtown window view of a dumpster, as some reviewers said about the nicer downtown hotels. I would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: I think the higher-level rooms have better views: We were on the first floor and had a privacy fence...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sara78412:
Thank you so much for submitting your review about your recent visit to the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado. I can't thank you enough for providing feedback about your stay with us. I was very pleased that you were satisfied with your recent stay with us. As you know our trademark at Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts is excellence in service, and we take this very much to heart. I will be happy to share your feedback with the team.
Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to Santa Fe in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When we booked our stay, this was the Encantado Resort. As we were driving into town, I called for their address because I could not get it on Google Maps. The reason? Just as of that day they had become a Four Seasons. As 4S groupies, we were delighted to hear that.

I try to rate things in the context of price and expectations. We have very very high expectations when we go to a 4S and pay their very very high prices. Mostly, they were met.

Pros: Spacious, comfortable rooms (I think they were Patio Casitas), very nicely decorated but with local flavor. Excellent food. Lovely spa. Very close to the Santa Fe opera house (3 min drive) Excellent service --- more on that later.

Cons: A lot of the views are mostly parking lots. I don't think that was just a function of our rooms, views were generally nice but not great IMHO. It is a pain to be a 10-15 minute drive from town, especially since it wasn't as though you got spectacular grounds in return? And especially because everyone goes to Santa Fe to walk around.

Service glitch - despite my emails, they did not set up a rollaway, and when we asked for one we were told it was too late and we'd have to wait until morning. That is not very Four-Seasons-y in my mind. I am used to them climbing every mountain, forging every stream, when a guest needs something.

Service kudos - We arrived the night our family was headed to the opera, with little time to spare. With no notice, the 4S used a hotel car to whisk us there, and then sent a car to pick us up at the end of the night. When we were wondering in the gift shop at the end of the night, our driver came and found us. He was so helpful and pleasant and turned what could have been stressful (getting to the opera on time) into a non issue.

THAT is very Four-Seasons-y and the reason we pay up for their brand. They cannot fix every problem that might mar your trip, but they can fix most and will try to fix all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear 6ContinentsNCounting:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding you recent visit to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado. I was very pleased that you were satisfied with your recent stay with us. As you know our trademark at Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts is excellence in service, and we take this very much to heart. I will be happy to share your feedback with the team. At the same time, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that we caused you for not providing a roll-away bed for you as per your request. Appropriate measures have been taken with our staff for this issue not to occur again in the future.
Once again, we truly appreciate you taking the time out to share your thoughts from your visit. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I love the Four Seasons. We've been to the Four Seasons Resorts in Whistler, Costa Rica, Hawaii (Hualalai), Austin, and now the Four Seasons Resort, Rancho Encantado, Santa Fe. Like the others, it is "Excellent." I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. I will say that the staff have been excellent. The valet smiled and greeted us as he opened the door. The young lady that seated us this morning knew where we were from and that we were with another couple. My wife has a gluten allergy. The menu has the gluten free options marked and the chef prepared a special dish for her on the night we arrived. By the way, Santa Fe is not Disney Land. Leave your kids at home for this trip.

Room Tip: Casitas 6 & 7 were at the south edge of the property and had an unspoiled view off the back pati...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear L0vedGreece:
Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. I am so glad that you and your wife were able to enjoy everything from our Terra Restaurant’s menu to our staff. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado Santa Fe or any future Four Seasons Worldwide Hotel.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel sights are exceptional to start with. Hidden in mountains and yet within 15 mn driving to Santa Fe's art galleries and center of town and highlights of city.

The design and space of room and public space are exceptional: very cosy, discreet, relaxing and elegant. The informal dining room and lounge next to the bar are discreet and exclusive and lead to achieving piece of mind while dining in a friendly yet elegant ambience.

Table service, housekeeping, front desk staff were impeccable. All customer service staff were very helpful and courteous and ready to help at any time. Bell man service is readily available to take you downtown Santa Fe. Excursions and hikes are organized as well. Our thanks goes to Hans for taking on trails around the place for an excellent and insightful hike

Best of all experienced during our stay was Chef Andrew Cooper and tasting menu offered. Chef Andrew's personality , know how and professionalism struck us all. His demeanor along with his cuisine were exceptional.

Congratulations Four Seasons!

Room Tip: Casita 42, 64 are said to have the best views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tammy T, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Jerome K:
Thank you so much for submitting your thoughtful review about your recent visit to the Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado. I can't thank you enough for providing such feedback about your stay with us.
I was very pleased that you were beyond satisfied with your recent stay with us. As you know our trademark at Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts is excellence in service, and we take this very much to heart. I will be happy to share your feedback with the team and Chef Andrew Cooper.
Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to Santa Fe in the near future!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We are loyal fans of Four Seasons and have always invested the extra money in their properties for vacation as we always know that the little bit of time that we do have to get away from the hectic nature of life, it will be a consistent level of service for both the adults and children. One thing that really sets Four Seasons apart from some of their competitors is the extra effort which they put forth to help kids feel welcome as well. I know that Santa Fe is typically more of an adult destination, with this property set out of the town and in the beautiful mountain setting with great hiking trails there is a lot more they could do to make this property more enjoyable for children. The previous post was spot on and could have been written by us in terms of the lack of welcome for children that is consistent at other FS properties. If you are traveling with children and expect this, you should either be aware that it won't happen or speak with management before you arrive.

The concierge desk also needs to further develop ideas for family activities. In many ways, I think that much of the former Auberge staff is still in place, which is good (as I like for people to keep their jobs,) but they haven't quite shifted their mindset into the Four Seasons service approach. They very much are focused only on Santa Fe specific locations (despite great attractions such as the Sandia Tramway only an hour away,) and really only give restaurant recommendations for what they consider to be "upscale." For me, and I'm sure many other families, sometimes we go to destinations such as Santa Fe (mountain setting, etc) to enjoy a little more laid back lifestyle. Upscale isn't the only answer - casual restaurants with great food and authentic New Mexico style can also be just as enjoyable. They also, as of our visit earlier this month, do not have any kids activities or any sort of game room like other properties do.

Now, with this all said, I think that people should definitely give this property a chance. It is beautiful, the guest rooms and suites are well designed and comfortable, and the food is good. For all the reviewers that mention views of parking lots, I simply don't see it. Yes, there are places to park your car near your room (which to me is a benefit,) but if you just look out at the beautiful mountains you will enjoy scenery like no other place.

To sum this up, I guess I would say that any guest must remember that this is still their first year as a Four Seasons property, and everything in life takes time to get just right.

I wish them a lot of success in the future and am confident it will become a gem of the brand with time.

Room Tip: If you can do it, try to get a suite.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear DCJD2012:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. Since, there was not a program from the previous management company Our Management Team is working diligently on a new Kids’ Program in order for our younger guests to have a Four Seasons kids’ experience that we are known for. Once again, we truly appreciate you taking the time out to share your thoughts from your visit. We thank you for your loyal patronage to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family recently spent a long weekend at the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado. There is so much potential here, however it is not quite living up to the Four Seasons brand that we have come to know and love. The words that come to mind to describe the resort are: simple, modern, rustic. The property is in a gorgeous location only 10-15 minute drive to downtown Santa Fe. The casitas are unique and a fun / different way to stay in a resort rather than being in a hotel-like building. The free standing casita we stayed in was rustic-luxe. The bathroom was beautiful and had a heated floor, but the rest of the room did not. The concrete floor, although cool and rustic, was freezing! I wish the entire room had radiant heat in the flooring. The fireplace in the room was a great touch and we enjoyed the fire each night. The beds were super comfortable, and the linens, towels, robes were all the high quality standards of the Four Seasons. The spa is gorgeous. I could have stayed in the "warming room" all day, and if the weather was warmer I would have spent even more time in the outdoor hot tub. My massage therapist was fantastic. The restaurant was very good - I loved the decor and the food was delicious, especially the french toast for breakfast, however the service was very inconsistent. Each meal (5 total over 3 days) we had a different server and each meal felt as if we were dining in a complete different restaurant because of it. Overall this is what is lacking here - consistency in the service culture. From the gentlemen opening the door / valeting cars, to the receptionists, to the restaurant hosts, to the servers - every day / each person had a very different vibe. No one was rude by any means, but no one seemed to go out of their way at all to ensure a high level of service. It all felt very flat and the employees (on the whole) seem almost unhappy. Very, very different from the service culture we have felt from every other experience with the Four Seasons hotels, where employees seem to radiate with pride and enjoyment. Our room was cleaned very poorly, in fact there was toothpaste left in the sink, trash on the floor, and soot all around the fireplace. Also disappointing was the lack of reception for our children (we traveled with our two young sons). We have become loyal fans of the Four Seasons hotels largely because of the sweet attention they typically receive - kid sized bath robes, kid-friendly amenities, welcome "treat" in the room, and here there was none of this. We called and asked if they have robes and amenities, and they did in fact bring them after we requested them, but we've become accustomed to our room being already set for our family. (BTW, Chicago and Seattle have EXCEPTIONAL kids programs!) Overall, we enjoyed our stay and our time in Santa Fe immensely - we love to travel and experience new places - and this was no exception, but bottom line, we did not walk away with a Four Seasons experience despite the $500/night price tag.

Room Tip: Opt for the free standing casita.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tammy T, Executive Assistant to Cindy Racco at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Mrs. CandaceT16:
Thank you for submitting your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado. Your observations and feedbacks are truly appreciated it and we take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests.
We certainly did not live up to the expectations that one would have anticipated coming to a Four Seasons Resort. Please know that the appropriate discussions have taken place as we work to overcome these service shortfalls. On the other hand, I would like to inform you that we are in the process of creating a kids’ program in order to enhance the kids experience here at our Resort.
Once again, we hope you will accept our apology and we look forward to your return to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado or any future Four Seasons Worldwide Hotel.

Been to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe? Share your experiences!