“Cheap motel service with b&b name and high price” 1 of 5 stars

Hillside House Bed and Breakfast
365 Carter Avenue, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA 98250   |
Ranked #9 of 18 Friday Harbor B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Cheap motel service with b&b name and high price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at many b&b for the friendly host and different kind of services than hotel or motel. This is THE WORST that I've ever had. It is basically home-ru motel service with the B&b price tag. They mislead you with things like complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon, but until I found out that you can only get ONE glass on the day you check in and has to be btw 4-6pm. I checked in at 6:03 and they said we are not getting it. The room was very average and old. The host didn't feel he needs to do anything. We were cold in the basement room at night but they turn the heater off for summer. And they don't answer to our calls at 10:30 when we are trying to get a heater. My friend got a cold on that night.
This is just the worst experience I had with b&b. I usually dont write reviews but thi one, the host Craig, really ruine my vacation.

• Stayed July 2011

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this very comfortable B&B. In particular we loved the sunny deck where we could sit, read and enjoy the weather as if in our own garden. There is also a living room which I could also imagine snuggling up into if the weather had not been as sunny as we experienced. Our room (The Parisian) was certainly comfortable enough to hang out in too but we are traveling for a long time and it is very nice to be able to stretch out properly occasionally outside of a bedroom.

Greg & Naoni have put a lot of thought in to the little things that make a visit easy. There is an instant hot water tap in the kitchen and at least 10 different types of herbal tea (plus coffee and cookies) available 24 hours. There is also a guest fridge where we stored our cheese and wine.

I understand why some people might consider Greg a little gruff but we felt that it was really important to him that we knew where everything was and how things worked so we could enjoy our stay. He ran through a number of local restaurants with us (they have several menus available to assist in choices) and we found his summaries bang on.

Breakfast was great - we had a delicious green chilli souffle with hash browns on Day 1 and on Day 2 a bacon & vegetable quiche. Both days there were also home made muffins or bread.

I also appreciated the notice re: water conservation that an early reviewer took such offense to. It would be easy to assume that an area of the world which gets so much rain might not have water issues and I was glad to be informed so I could make informed choices.

Finally the B&B is about 3/4 a mile from the harbor and my husband and I walked to and from town on several occasions and it took us only 10 minutes each time. I certainly would not let this "distance" put off a visit.

- although I have to doubt the opinion of someone who vehemently objects to a notice about water conservation. Really?! You think your "right" to soak in a bath outweighs a communities "right" to try and protect its valuable resources.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed in the Eagles Nest, which is the top most room of the house. Beautiful views with a comfortable bed and large jacuzzi. The breakfasts were amazing with carefully prepared meals that were delicious and filling. The hosts Greg and Naoni were gracious and full of suggestions for activities for the weekend. The menus of the best restaurants around town were a nice touch. The only downside to the Eagles Nest was that is got very bright in the mornings, so recommend early risers or sleep masks!

Room Tip: Eagles Nest highly reccomended
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bonney Lake, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Friday Harbor to celebrate our anniversary. Both Greg and Naoni were wonderful hosts and made us feel welcome. They gave great advice as far as things to do and see. Breakfasts were wonderful and were a great opportunity to talk with Naoni as well as the other guests as far as things to do for the day. We did a lot of hiking and really enjoyed our stay in large part due to their recommendations!
The only criticism we had was the bed. It was very worn and hard. Each side of the bed had a distinct sink hole into which we both fell. It made it difficult to sleep close.
We would return to the Hillside House if we were to ever return to Friday Harbor!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarasota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We had a bit of an unplanned stay at Hillside House. My husband had booked a different hotel that was so awful when we arrived that I refused to stay. Another hotel, that was booked, found us a room with Hillside House and Greg was gracious enough to let us check in after 9:00pm. Even at that time of night, Greg showed us the amenities that were offered to us. We were in the Captains Quarters and it had a very comfortable bed and pillows and I had a great nights sleep. I can understand other reviewers comments about Greg, but to me, he seems to be more of the person handling the business side of the B&B. Naoni seems to be the one who takes care of the comfort of the guests and socializes with them more. She is around at breakfast and takes and interest in the guests as well as makes suggestions on places to visit in the San Juans as well as the mainland.

For breakfast, we were offered an individual mild green chili souffle that was excellent, along with fruit, granola and toast. Perhaps other reviewers interpret "buffet" to mean all you can eat, however, I interpreted it to mean that you serve yourself and were not served individual plates. I certainly walked away with plenty to eat. In fact, my husband and I split the souffle.

I would say the house is not within walking distance of the ferry if you are carrying luggage with you. You do have a great view of Friday Harbor from the Hillside House Deck if you choose to enjoy their beautifully landscaped deck/ patio and front yard.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I read all the negative reviews here after I'd made the reservations, so arrived at the inn with trepidation. As we pulled into the neighbor I became even more concerned, since the adjoining lot (behind hedge) is a gas station. But once we turned up the drive we were greeted by a lovely garden at the front door. Inside we got a warm reception and tour from Greg, a glass of excellent local wine, and a chance to unwind on the deck with other guests.

We had booked the Eagle's Nest, not because we wanted a honeymoon experience, but because it was the only room available for the dates we wished to visit. The room was spacious with a door to a small balcony and a propane stove to chase away the chill. The jacuzzi tub is gorgeous, a real luxury. The price, while high, was worth the money.

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. We ate on the deck to take full advantage of the sunlight and the fresh morning air. Of special note are Greg's lavender pancakes and their truly outstanding coffee which is available throughout the day and evening. The banana chocolate chip cookies are excellent as well. Our last night there Naomi had put out fresh brownies, since the cookies were still in the oven. When we left for our whale watching excursion, Naomi handed us a bag of cookies to deliver to our naturalist and boat crew, which they much appreciated.

All and all, a lovely experience. We hope to make this a yearly event, and will definitely stay at Hillside House again!

The only t

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Had we read the previous review entitled "disappointing stay", we certainly would not have stayed here. Everything they wrote before was true and even worse. We arrived at 2 pm after a long walk in 90 degree weather. The description that this is a "few short blocks" from the harbor is misleading. It was actually a trek uphill through a deserted area. Naoni greeted us pleasantly (but not even the thought of offering a glass of water) and kindly allowed us to leave the luggage. We were then "greeted" by Greg yelling at Naoni angry about where other guests had left their bags.

When we returned to check in at 5 pm, we rang the bell and walked in as instructed by a sign on the door. This time nobody came to the door and so we sat down. Several minutes later Greg arrives and treats us as we were intruders even though we had just met. The first thing he wanted was our credit card and we had to pay in full in advance. The promised "welcoming cheese tray and wine" consisted of five quarter inch thick pieces of non-descript cheese and no crackers and we had to stand there for several minutes as if we were intruders again for our glass of wine while Greg continued to ignore us and talked to another guest.

The room was fine and the deck was pleasant. However, chatting with three other guests we discovered that they too had an "early" departure at 7:30 am. When we asked Greg for an early breakfast there was no compromising. All hat we were given was some cold tasteless granola with some stale orange juice that tasted literally like tin. Even though Greg was in the kitchen at that time, he did not offer any help with breakfast or a cup of coffee. We could not believe why it would have been so difficult for him to make us and the other 3 guests a cup of coffee and a few eggs for which we had paid. We understand the house rule of 8:30 am breakfast (although we think this is ridiculous for vacationers who want to get going) but to be so unyielding and unaccommodating of the guests wishes is unacceptable.

Finally, when we left, with no help with our luggage, we went by the kitchen and said good bye to Greg. He barely turned around and responded good bye halfheartedly with no handshake.

In summary, we were made to feel like intruders. Greg was very unfriendly and made us feel unwelcome. Greg really ruined what would otherwise have been a great vacation in San Juan Island.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hillside House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!