“Maya's Westside Charters- The Best Whale Watching Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 30 Activities in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Maya's Westside Whale Watching Charters has been in business since 1997 and Captain Jim has been taking folks out to see Orcas on the waters of the San Juans since 1988. We are rated Number 1, and have the highest sighting percentage of any whale watching boat in the San Juan Islands. We are the only smaller boat with a naturalist. Our whale watching cruise tour operates out of beautiful Snug Harbor at the end of Mitchell Bay Road.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Nederland, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“Maya's Westside Charters- The Best Whale Watching Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I went on a whale watching tour (along with my sister and her husband) on Maya's Charters, out of Snug Harbor, on Oct. 8, 2012. It was awesome! Very comfortable boat, very knowledgeable captain and nice! and he had Jeanne with us ( a naturalist ) who explained to us all about the different Orca whale pods. I had the time of my life! Wonderful experience and I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have a fantastic time. We watched the whales for hours and then Captain Jim took us to see the harbor seals. Absolutely did not feel rushed at anytime. There were 5 of us, plus the Captain and Jeanne. Tons of space to move around. Learned so much about the whales. Go! You won't be sorry.

Bend, Oregon
“The Best Whale Watching in the San Juans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have gone whale watching a number of times in the San Juans and they were all great. But going out with Captain Jim and Jeanne Hyde was a trip we had looked forward to for years. Captain Jim knew I am a professional photographer and texted me at 10pm the night before to encourage us to be on the boat the next day. Meeting up with a Super Pod, we were not disappointed. Jeanne shared their names and their stories and told us about Granny, the 100+ year old Orca, who playing with her fellow Orcas, didn't look a day over 80. Unfortunately we didn't have much opportunity to explore the other wildlife, as the trip was filled with whale after whale, seemingly dancing in celebration of the salmon bounty from the nearby Fraser River. We continue to follow Jeanne's blog even though we are back home in Central Oregon.

Visited September 2012
Renton, Washington, United States
“THE BEST TIME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband planned a 1st anniversary getaway wknd in the San Juan Islands which included a whale watching tour!!! OMG...Captain Jim made our anniversary something we will never forget!! We watched about 70 whales and photographed them for about an hour!! It was an amazing experience!! He was full of tales with so much knowledge! I would recommend him to anyone wanting to go out whale watching! He made our trip fun with LOTS of conversation and when the tour was over....WE FELT LIKE WE KNEW HIM!! Thanks so much Captain Jim for making wonderful memories with us!!! Lynn and Brooks.....October 7, 2012

Running Springs, California
“Looking to go whale watching? Look no further!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I traveled to San Juan Island for our honeymoon, and our bed and breakfast host told us one day that Captain Jim had an opening to take us whale watching. We jumped on it because we thought whale watching season was over, and we are so glad we went.

Captain Jim's boat holds him, Jeanne (the naturalist), and no more than 6 passengers. Jim called us earlier on the day we were to leave and asked if we could leave a little sooner because he and Jeanne actually listen to the radio to hear exactly where the whales are. We went right out to them, and stayed for as long as we wanted to watching the whales come up! It was fantastic! The best part was that his boat only carried the 8 of us, so we could all just do exactly what we wanted to do. We could see about a half-dozen other tour boats that were just way too big to really make the experience as personal as it was. At the end of the trip, we went out to find some Dall's porpoises and my wife and I had an unforgettable time. The naturalist Jeanne is obviously gleefully obsessed with the wildlife of the region (she sleeps next to a hydrophone), and her insights while watching the whales and other wildlife enhanced the experience more than I could have imagined. She really wants you to learn about the wildlife you're seeing, and we appreciated her educated insights and benefited from her and Captain Jim's decades of experience.

I wish I could hang out at Friday Harbor just to tell people that are coming onto the island that they should go see Captain Jim and Jeanne for an experience they'll remember for their whole lives. Thank you, Captain Jim and Jeanne!

Friday Harbor, Washington
13 attraction reviews
“epic whale watching with education”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have been out with Captain Jim and Jeanne Hyde,the Naturalist on board,a few times over the last 3 years. It is always a spectacular journey and I learn so much about the geographic aspects of the area, the marine mammals and their magnificence, the birds with their interesting behaviors, and the manners exhibited by the boats sharing the Canadian and American borders.,

Visited September 2012