“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Just 90 miles north of Seattle, Whale Watching and Wildlife Tours from Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington. Owner Operated, Experienced Local Naturalist Guides, Small Groups, Two Great Boats. Choose from the fast and comfortable 46' Western Prince II (limited to 32 passengers or less, with seating for 41) or, for the more adventurous, the Expedition Style 27' Western Explorer (limited to 15 passengers or less).
England
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

JB and the crew were full of knowledge and v friendly. Boat was clean and comfy with shade if you want it. We saw hump back whales and sea lions. Amazing day thank you!
Sarah

Visited October 2012

Eugene, Oregon
“A Whale of a Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was a wonderful trip. We went out to see some 'HUMPBACKS' and that is what we saw. The host was very knowledgeable of the Island, it surroundings and the marine life. He has spent a lot of time on the water and knows the Killer Whale pods and how to identify the families. Animal lovers and marine enthusiasts won't be let down. The weather could not have been better. We loved the trip. Facilities are rough but to be expected, it's not a luxury cruise, it's an educational, scenic time on the water. We'd do it again. Cyndi D.

Visited October 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Really nice trip. The guides were very knowledgeable and did an excellent job keeping the experience interesting with facts and concepts regarding the ecology and natural environment.

Visited September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I spent 4 amazing days in Friday Harbour in late August and went on both the Western Prince II & The Western Explorer while I was there and both trips were fantastic. I took the Western Prince II tour on my first day and we saw some orcas in the distance, we followed them for a little while but then went off to view some sea lions, seals and bald eagles as well. The naturalists on board were extremely knowledgable about the area and the wildlife.

I ended up with a free morning on my last day and decided to try the Western Explorer as well. I am so glad I did because it was an absolutely amazing experience. Orcas had been spotted off the coast of Victoria so we hurried off as we had a bit of distance to cover. We caught up with a group of transients and spent about an hour watching those wonderful animals. The onboard naturalist Traci was fantastic and she took some great photos which she emailed through after the tour.

The staff in the office were just as helpful, especially Chris, and I would definitely go back to Western Prince if I ever find myself on that side of the world again. I was lucky enough to see orcas on both trips however I would recommend the tours even if you miss out on orcas as you get to see and learn about some great wildlife and it was a fabulous way to see the beautiful islands.

Visited August 2012
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

September 23,2012 - what an incredible experience. Went out on the Western Prince Explorer with Captain Ivan and Naturalist, JB. They were so knowledgeable about all the wildlife, and stopped many times to point out many different marine mammals including harbor seals and stellar sea lions. Also took us by Jonas Island to see all types of exotic animals,and explained to everyone what we were seeing. When they found pods of Orcas, they were as excited as we were. They obviously love what they do, and that makes the trip that much more interesting. They shared their love of the sea and the whales, and taught us all about the importance of wildlife conservation. Don't worry about catching photos unless you've got a great camera set up with zoom lens. JB sent us great photos that he took. Enjoy!