“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friday Harbor Suites

Save Saved
You added Friday Harbor Suites to your Saves list
Friday Harbor Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   680 Spring Street, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA 98250-8090 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Friday Harbor Suites)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Friday Harbor
Irvine, California
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Despite the bad attitude of the front desk staff, the outdated décor and the marginal breakfasts, the hotel provided an excellent value. The price was reasonable, the suite was very spacious with a living room and kitchen and patio, the facility was clean and comfortable, the grounds were pleasant, the parking convenient.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Friendly and helpful staff. Clean rooms and living room area very comfortable with chairs and sofa. Have back and knee problems so I appreciate this. Rooms are well lite. Breakfast is good.
Great location. Have recommended this to frienda and if have the opportunity will revisit. Had a problem and they got someone to fix right away. Because of my back and knee issues they readily changed our room to a first floor and I did not have to ask. It was suggested by the person checking us into the hotel.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I'll admit that we booked into Friday Harbor Suites because we got a very good deal on our reservation - half the price and more of all other hotels in the area.

The staff were friendly and efficient on check-in and our room suited us fine. On the ground floor, it had one large bed, kitchen area with microwave, coffee-maker, sink and fridge plus a large bathroom. French windows led to a minute patio and chairs which was alongside that of the neighboring room and looked out on the next-door property - but it was a good place for drying clothes!

The morning buffet breakfasts offered hot and cold fare from 6.30am and could be eaten in the rom or in the adjoining Mexican restaurant. No shortage of food and a good varied selection.

We enjoyed margaritas in the popular Mexican restaurant on the first night but did not try the food.

The outdoor car park gets filled at night with clients for the restaurant but we never had any trouble parking. It took about ten minutes to walk down to the ferry terminal and the town centre.

The local wifi signal was not strong enough to be usable.

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter since the floors are pretty thin. We could hear our upstairs neighbors m...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory S, General Manager at Friday Harbor Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much for your review!
It is a great pleasure reading this review stating that our front desk staff provided you with nothing but great customer service. Honestly the wifi has been a bit of a struggle for us to get the fullest connectivity to offer our guests with high speed wifi. We have been updating our routers and just received two new ones to install right away. Our wifi should be on a constant speed of 20-28 Mbps. Unfortunately the service on the islands really does not get any quicker than that. I do apologize that you were unable to connect. I smile when I read about the Margaritas in Mi Casita for I can first hand say yum!
We thank you for your review!
Hope to see you again!
Phoenix,Az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After moving from the Friday Harbor House for my last few days on the island, I had an opportunity to do first hand comparisons. So this may be a bit biased. That being said, I'm a huge fan of Best Western properties and have always found them to be well maintained.

So -
Pro: They were very kind to let me check in early since I had just checked out of my other hotel. Marna was very nice and gave me a couple of room options. I kind of wish I had taken the other option, which was on the first floor. But my Road Warrior spidey sense always tells me to take second floor over first floor every time. Which brings me to ...
Con: This has only been mentioned once, but it needs to be said. First - I admire the creativity of the architects for their design on what appears to be a long strip of land. That being said, if you aren't ready for the hallway, it can be very disorienting. There's no describing it. Each room juts out into the hallway in such a way that when you look down the hall, it looks like it's only 2 feet across. It creeped me out. No other way to say it. Some might think it's very cool, so you can judge for yourself. I really hated walking down that hall each time.

Pro: The rooms are very spacious and are more like a condo than a hotel room. I had a fold out couch, a separate bedroom with a queen bed, a little kitchen area and a separate dining area. The balcony was spacious and the chairs were comfortable. The wooded area outside my room was filled with birds and little critters. Very comfortable to sit there. The only downside was the smell of propane as that's the place the little stove in the living room vents out.

Con: it's time for an upgrade. This is very old decor - 1980's or earlier. But it's all in good working order and clean. The cabinets and countertop were well maintained, The fridge was new and the microwave and Mr. coffee machine worked just great. The bathrooms were newer and clean and well maintained.

This is everything I would expect from a Best Western property. I just kind of wish I could rappel off the balcony so I didn't have to walk down that hallway! =0

Oh - the breakfast was good. Fluffy eggs, delicious sausage, bagels, juices, various oatmeals, fruit, and of course - make your own waffles. For the price it's a good deal. The shuttle makes up for not being on the harbor. And really, everything is pretty close to the harbor in this little town, so don't obsess on that. How much time do you spend in your room anyway?

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review!
Very interesting that you compared the rooms to condo's, as I tend to do the exact same thing when explaining our room layouts to interested guests asking about our property. When it comes to the hallways in my time being at this hotel I have had many different experiences with them. When taking a first glance down the hallway you get that feeling you are looking into a mirror optical illusion effect. The reason the hallways are like that is a very easy answer. The building is staggered that way so each room's patio or deck has privacy from the neighbors next to it. We have been in the process of updating our decor. We recently installed new carpet, curtain sheers and tv's. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and shuttle service. We know that great food in the morning is the best way to kick start your adventure on the island.
We hope to accommodate you again if you ever plan on returning to the island.
Thank you very much for the review.
poway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Friday Harbor Suites suited our needs well. It is in a convenient location, offers a bedroom and living area as well as a kitchenette area. A breakfast is offered and is standard fare. The accommodations are outdated- there were many children staying here while we were here and yes you could hear them running all around upstairs etc. however the most disappointing thing was the customer service. Don't expect any- upon check in, upon asking a question about the area- as well as check out, the front desk clerk Marna will provide a grunt. There are no smiles, no greetings, no nothing. It is unfortunate as just a smile goes a long way. Makes one wonder why we would choose to stay here? In this day and age customer service goes a long way.

Room Tip: possibly choose an upper floor if you don't want to hear people
Thank you so much for the review!
I would like to start off with an apology about the noise from the children. We hosted a school getaway group. Oh boy was it a group to keep up with. We are currently in the process of updating our decor as we have already installed all new carpet, tv's and curtain sheers. Our hotel takes great pride in our customer service and problem solving when it comes to guests needs. I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with our front desk staff. I am very glad you put that in the review as we will address this issue. We want nothing but great experiences for our guests while staying with us.
Thank you for the review.
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We choose Friday Harbor Suites mainly because it allowed us to bring our dogs. For that it worked out very well.

The rooms were very clean and quiet. Beds comfortable. Patios were nice to have. The complimentary breakfast was good and always was well stocked (buffet style). Good location to get into town (Friday Harbor) as well to get out of town. The Mexican restaurant at the front was above average and many locals kept it busy.

The only down is that while they have a kitchenette (fridge, microwave, sink, silverware, there is no stove, no food preparation bowls/spatula/large spoons, etc) the fixing your own food thing is not really supported. No table with chairs (which also made working on a laptop awkward). A single barbecue that is BYOC - bring your own charcoal. Works great if you are planning to just have some drinks and snacks in the room, otherwise takes some planning.

Would strongly consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the review!
We are very pleased to hear that you had a great experience staying with us while you adventured the San Juan Islands.
I am sorry to hear that it was difficult for you to use your laptop, one of three pet rooms are not furnished with dining areas as some of our Queen Deluxe Suites are.
Thank you for the suggestion about equipping the kitchenettes with food preparation bowls/spatula/large spoons. This is a great idea and we will surely look into this.
Thank you so much for the review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed here recently for 3 days. We really wanted to be on the Harbor, but everything was sold out.
These are our honest impressions.
Pros: shuttle service from the airport and around town. Nice driver.
Larger than average room with small kitchen. Full fridge,
micro, no stove.
Within easy walking distance for most people to Harbor and town. We are active late 50's adults.
Great breakfast
Great Mexican Restaurant on site
Bed comfortable, but for a suite, it was a Queen bed.
Water pressure good and hot
Cons: very strange hallway
Assisted Living feeling in rooms (probably because it was one in its former life)
Very dated decor. Needs complete update
Noisy. Could hear people walking around upstairs until midnight (we were on the first floor).
No complimentary bikes. Competition had them.
No pool, just small hot tub
Unfriendly woman at front desk. Didn't make us feel welcome at all.
We paid close to $300/night with tax. Clearly. This hotel is about $150 tops.
Wanted to stay at Friday Harbor House which the last TA writer mistakenly wrote about on the Friday Harbor Suites site.
Probably would not stay again. Wanted to be on the harbor with a more updated place.
Try Quarrymans in Roche Harbor next time

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Cory S, General Manager at Friday Harbor Suites, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for the review!
The positive feedback on the shuttle bus makes us very happy. The shuttle is new and we are very pleased to offer the on demand service to have met your needs. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast each morning. We have been changing little things that we serve to accommodate our hungry guests in the morning and are very appreciative that you enjoyed it. Regarding the decor we are in the process of upgrading our rooms. We recently installed new carpet, sheers, and other amenities as we are still in the process of upgrades.
I am sorry that it seemed the rate was too pricey but you must understand the island life. Price in general for the island is 30% higher than those of the mainland. Businesses rely on four months out of the year. During our summer season it is very hard to find any hotels around $150. Our price is competitive with the major hotels on the island.
Friday Harbor Suites strives to please our guests, we are known for professionalism and friendly staff. I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at check in.
Thank you so much for the review.

Been to Friday Harbor Suites? Share your experiences!