“Your Friday Harbor Kayak Choice” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 25 years Outdoor Odysseys has been offering quality guided sea kayaking and whale watch tours in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our tours feature opportunities to see killer whales and eagles while paddling, we offer great camp cuisine including Dutch oven cookery and guides that are mature (average age is 29), fun and professional. In 2009 we were selected by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the "200 best outfitters" in the world.
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Your Friday Harbor Kayak Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We honeymooned on the San Juan Islands and took a day trip to Friday Harbor to enjoy this kayak tour. I researched alllll the day tours from Friday Harbor and most are about the same but I believe this company has the edge. Chris's (owner) response to my emailed questions before booking were helpful and well-thought out. This is probably the most environmentally responsible company I have researched, which was important to me. Also, with a beyond-full lunch included, it's the best value as well. And they also allow you to have an adventurous edge, if you are up to it. Magda was great, knowledgeable and just highly entertaining and endearing. She spontaneously erupts into orca calling at any moment!

My only regret was that I was *sure* I saw that they provided water bottles for the day tour, but there was none available. Magda pulled through for me and let me have her lemonade, and there was hot tea (hydration) available with lunch. Anyways... bring your own water!

Truly this was one of our favorite experiences during our 10 day stay. And yes we saw whales! Including a baby and some breaching behavior.

Visited June 2012

Fort Lee, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Great day on the water!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I did the one day "Eagles and Orcas" tour and we had a great time! Neither of us had really kayaked before, but Magda, our guide, was fantastic! We both felt completely at ease on the water. Magda was super knowledgable, and wasted not a minute of our trip--we got a little tour of the island and history lesson en route to the park where we put our kayaks in the water. We had a great lunch prepared by her as well. Nothing like sitting on the beach, in the sun, eating a crunchy and delicious sandwich. We had beautiful weather, calm seas, and sadly no whales. But we had such a blast being on the water, exploring each alcove, and soaking up the sun. We talked about it for the rest of the trip. We can't wait to go back!

Visited September 2012
Portland, Oregon, United States
“HIGHLY recommend them!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I honeymooned on San Juan Island and did the full day tour of sea kayaking with Outdoor Odysseys. I was one of our favorite parts of the trip, and I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone wanting to try sea-kayaking. From the start, the outfitter had excellent customer service, really trying to make sure the tour group would fit our needs. It was just one other couple and us on the tour which was great. Our guide, Tony, was excellent! Very friendly and very knowledgeable about not only sea-kayaking, but the whole island. He educated us about the island's geology, history, wildlife... My husband and I had never kayaked before, but we picked it up easily with great instruction and felt very safe with our guide. We saw seals, starfish, and orcas during our tour. Another great thing about Outdoor Odysseys, they serve super yummy food, which was a bonus. They also added chocolates to the lunch for us honeymooners! When we return to San Juan Island in the future, we will definitely be doing another adventure with them!

Seattle, Washington
“Gourmet & Guided: Best Kayaking Trip in the PacificNW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having taken the exact same trip in 2004 with Outdoor Odysseys, I wanted to share this most memorable of experience with my nephew as soon as he was old enough to tackle 4-6 hours of paddling a day. While I hadn't been on a journey like this with him before, with Outdoor Odysseys I knew I'd be guaranteed a great guide, great food, and a safe journey.

My nostalgia-fueled memory recalled fantastic, personable, knowledgeable guides who competently navigated groups across and through the foibles of the area's tides and currents; who pointed out and provided fascinating perspective on the local flora & fauna; who created the most incredible camp food; and from whom I have so much to learn about the art of being graceful to others!

8 years of building this up in my mind and still it exceeded expectations. Our guide Nikken exuded all the qualities you can read in fellow reviewers thoughts - professional, skilled, delightful, and attentive to everyone's needs. We saw river otters, seals, herons, a vulture, and a pesky raccoon. We wined and dined on 4" thick frittata, thai soup, fresh curry, and a stunning peach upside down cake!

Nikken knew the islands intimately, and on the last leg home her intuition (and maybe some clues via radio) had us paddling through the resident orca whales of J-Pod. Magical! Once home, my 13 year old nephew apparently described the trip to his parents as "life changing"!

I'll be back again when my niece turns 13 - if not before!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 attraction reviews
“WE SAW WHALES!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our kayak tour with Outdoor Odysseys was the highlight of our week in the San Juan Islands. I called several other kayak outfitters, and OO was by far the most accommodating. They set up a private sunset tour to fit our group's schedule and gave us an awesome group discount. Our guide, Kaitlyn, was super friendly and knowledgeable. She picked us up in the company's spacious van and took us right to the beach where the kayaks awaited us. OO provided all the equipment, including super-helpful splash skirts and bags to store our gear. While there's never any guarantee that you'll see orcas, we were lucky to see three, and super close to our kayaks, too! After learning about the ways that motor-boat traffic negatively impacts the wildlife, I'm so glad we chose to take to the water in unobtrusive kayaks. If you're in the area, make sure to book a tour with Outdoor Odysseys! It will be the best part of your trip!