“Cozy cabins in a great location! ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Snug Harbor Resort & Marina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Friday Harbor
Snug Harbor Resort & Marina
You added Snug Harbor Resort & Marina to your Saves list
1997 Mitchell Bay Rd., San Juan Island, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA 98250   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
“Cozy cabins in a great location! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed at this resort for 3 nights. All in all our stay was fabulous. The cabin was perfectly equipped for our family of 5. There is everything you need to cook with - stove, oven, refrigerator, utensils etc. For recreation there were kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, bicycles, crab pods (which our family thoroughly enjoyed doing for the first time) and so much more offered from the marina. While there were some hiccups - no water for a night and part early morning then no electricity, we had a blast. I agree with the previous review about management asking the cabins if there were anything they could do. No water means no showers, dishes, food etc. Thank god we had a bottle of water for our little one that night or else that would've meant no bottle :-(. We completely understand mishaps as business owners ourselves. I do not agree with the previous reviewer about the young adults running the resort. This is a lie. The daughter was SUPER helpful with every question we had regarding the area as well as helpful with crabbing etc.. The family that owns this resort were very nice and helpful. We witnessed the owner himself trying his hardest to get the water issue corrected. We will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Heather, Thank you for your nice review and comments regarding our challenging situation with our double water pump failure. We will strive to always deliver a fantastic experience to our guests and keep them completely informed when the occasional challenge arises. We hope to see you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Mill Creek, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

It is with great disappointment that I write this review. I have been a guest for the last 3 years at Snug Harbor. The resort is in a serene location over on Mitchell Bay and has recently had a large renovation.

I was there with my extended family of over 20 people this past weekend. We had dinner on Friday out in the common area right on the water, as we do each night we were there. About half way during our meal the person left in charge of the resort came up to us and asked us to move our table 20 feet so that another guest could enjoy the view. We thought it was rude that this other guest couldn’t just come up and ask us themselves, since they were 50 feet from the table. It wasn’t like we were swearing or playing loud music, we were just eating dinner. Clearly, this other guest wanted to create drama.

At about 8:00pm on Friday the well quit working and there was no water. So literally, you couldn’t flush the toilet, take a shower, wash your hands, do dishes, etc. The resort staff did nothing to assure us that they were fixing the problem. They did not come by with jugs of drinking water or communicate that it was an inconvenience to us and that they were fixing it. The water didn’t come on for over 12 hours. I had to go to Roche Harbor and pay $1.50 to take a shower and use the toilet. When we got back later in the afternoon the water was working, but it was working intermittently at best. At this point, we decided we were not going to stay through Monday. I certainly was not going to pay $400 a night to camp, because when you go camping you don’t have running water or a toilet that flushes!

I have worked in hospitality, this is just unacceptable. I feel like they just turned a blind eye to their guests. All the renovations are put to waste when your staff doesn’t have any sense of urgency for their guests. If they just would have made an effort to communicate and address the problems to us we would have felt like valued customers. I guess we will spend our $$$ elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear CL8181, I apologize for the experience you and your family had at the resort. I'm sorry you were upset that a guest was uncomfortable coming up to you directly and chose to go through the office to ask for some help with their concerns. Your group had dined in the same location the night before, blocking the guests evening view and enjoyment. When this was occurring for the second night in a row they asked for help from the office. The request for you to move the three end to end picnic tables you had set up for your second nights dinner over such a small amount didn't seem like a big request but it was meant with a significant backlash to our staff member.

As with my response to your other family member from a review on the 28th the water was simply not off for 12 hours. It was off for 11/2 hour Friday Night and 41/2 hours Saturday morning after an unprecedented failure of both our primary and backup water pumps that provide water pressure to our system. We definitely could, and should, have done a better job communicating and we should have delivered water to all the rooms during the failure. We have sent our letters of apology to all guests impacted by this event with a coupon for a future nights free stay.
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My family arrived at this beautiful resort on Friday, July 26, height of the summer season. At dinner time the water at the entire resort was shut off until mid-day Saturday. No toilets, no drinking water, no water for hand washing, no showers for my sandy little kids! What a nightmare! to make it even worse the management did not even bother to see if the guests at the resort were ok and had any drinking water! There are only 13 cabins. No communication about what was going on. I had to get a bucket of water from Mitchell Bay to flush the toilet after several uses. We drove to Roche Harbor on Saturday morning for showers and toilets.
This resort is run as a habby business! The owners' teenagers run the place. At $400 a night this reosrt has terrible management! No consideration for the 50 paying guests, no reassurance the regarding the water pump repairs, no inquiring if guests need water to drink. The owner and the manager went off in their pleasure boats Saturday afternoon.
Skip this poorly managed resort. Beautiful location but the owners are amateurs. I will never return and would never recommend this resort to anyone! You can tell a lot about a place when there is an emergency. The guests' health and safety should always be considered paramont. This resort deserves to have a hospitality professional management that have the skills necessary for situations that will arise.

Room Tip: Poor choice for families with children. Focus is on adults that enjoy drinking and watching tv in t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Loywestie, I apologize for the events that occurred during your stay at the resort. I honestly don't know quite how to respond to your review due to the the variance of your statements when compared to what I believe actually occurred. On Friday evening we lost our primary water pump at 7:45, water was restored at approximately 9:15 pm, 11/2 hours later. There was water available to all cabins through out the night. At approximately 7:15 AM we lost our backup water pump. This double failure is unprecedented. Two temporary pumps were installed Saturday morning restoring water by 11:45AM, or approximately 41/2 hours. On Friday evening we were informing guests of our progress and on Saturday morning we were going to the cabins informing our guests and seeing if they needed anything. I completely admit, it was an extremely terrible situation. We did our absolute best to resolve it as fast as humanly possible. A teenager does not run the place, she is a summer employee who was working Friday evening who asked you very nicely if your large group would give other guests staying at our resort some consideration. Just because you had 20 people staying at the resort doesn't mean we will ignore the enjoyment of other guests staying in our cabins. Our Manager is Ken Christensen, whom you and your husband know well, who is highly regarded for his abilities in many reviews on Trip Advisor, including yours from August of 2013. You were given consideration for your troubles by a reduction of 50% of your room bill. I left with my family Saturday afternoon, without our manager, for a family vacation after assuring all repairs had been completed and the water had been fully restored. I have absolutely no idea why you would state we are a poor choice for families, our guests like to drink and watch TV. That statement is simply absurd. We certainly could have done things differently in regards to this event, that is always true. We could have communicated better, we should have delivered water to all cabins and we should have had a better pump design. We are extremely sorry for the impact it had on our guests. We are having installed different water pumps from a different manufacturer and we will have triplicate backup. I am sorry you are so bitter about your experience at the resort but I wish you would have at least be fair in your comments. Snug Harbor Resort is a fantastic place to vacation. I apologize we did not deliver the kind of experience you had last August.
Giverny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is away from the hustle & bustle of Friday Harbor but just a short drive which is lovely. We stayed here in July and the weather was nice. The property is right on the water with trees all around. Quiet, relaxing, restful describe this beautiful place! We were in cabin 12 and were very happy with the location. The cabins are very well done with quality appointments gorgeous woods, very special. Lots of attention to detail and quality construction. A coffee shop is in the lobby though you have coffee in your cabin with a nice kitchen and a grill on your deck with a picnic table as well. Cooking in your cabin helps cut expenses as eating out every night in the islands gets spendy! Friendly helpful staff too.

Room Tip: We liked cabin 12 as it was up on the hill above the lobby but all the cabins have great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Dragonladygiverny, Thank you for sharing your experience with our other guests. I'm frequently asked, what is my favorite cabin. Having been in them all and stayed overnight in most, they all have their own unique view. I'm glad you liked cabin 12.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This new and improved property is wonderful. We had a short break to enjoy the summer and scenery, and this was perfect. The cabin is beautifully built and decorated, and the property, though still under construction, was also very nice. Lots of attention to detail, its clear when done, it will be even better. Service was also excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hi Ann, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. A lot of effort has gone into making Snug Harbor a year round luxury destination resort. All the work is completed and the contractors have gone home. Fall is amazing in the San Juans, hope too see you back.
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I know, I shouldn't use double negatives, especially not in headlines. But unless you are dying to be right in the heart of town, this place just seems superior to the other options we saw. We went to SJI to get away from hustle and bustle, to connect with nature, and to chill. Snug Harbor offered all of that. The setting was so unbelievably serene- exactly what the pictures showed.
Our cabin was brand new, and my wife, daughter and I felt like we had gone to a special place, without having to die in the process.
As others have said, you give up a few things. There's no restaurant on site, although there is a place to get lattes (etc.) next to the office (this is Washington, after all.) On the other hand, you have a nice kitchen area so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on breakfast or lunch, if you prefer to stay put. Nice grocery store in town provided everything we needed for that. The view was amazing, and led to many nice moments either on our porch or in our cabin. Awesome beds and showers too, along with dvd player and tv, though we did not use the latter.
There were a few things I would have liked to see different. The windows in the front of the cabins don't open, not even at the top, and that restricts ventilation. Not a big problem at night, as it was brisk, but it got a little steamy during the day. Also, their office is only open til 7m, which created a problem, as our zodiac whale watching tour with Western Prince (awesome, by the way,) was leaving at 3, and we couldn't eat dinner in town if we had to rush out to check in. I tried to get an earlier check in, but without going into too many details, they sort of fumbled the ball. I think if they had more experienced front desk staff, the hassle could have been avoided, and this lack of experience popped up another time as well.
All that being said, I stand by the fact that this is an exceptional option. The staff, even those without much experience, were all very nice and wanted to be helpful, so hopefully that will improve with time. The other benefits- including proximity to Lime Kiln, small scale, comfortable quarters in a beautiful setting, etc. far outweighed this, and we would stay again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: rooms up on the hill are a little more private and still have a lovely view of the harbor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chickyskids, We truly appreciate the review and the details you shared. I apologize for the challenges at the front desk. You easily should have been able to have a late check in and not had to hurry back after your whale trip. We will continue to strive to provide excellent customer service. The weather for July was fantastic and unseasonably warm. We have found that with the back bedroom window open and the front corner window open good cross cooling does occur. Of course, if it is completely calm, nothing helps. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to the San Juan Islands.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We picked Snug Harbor for a couple reasons:
-it is waterfront with firepits
-the cabins have kitchens to save on expenses of eating out
-our whale watch tour with Legacy Charters left directly from the harbor
-loved the idea of having a cabin and not a hotel room

We got all this and more! You're able to check out kayaks, bicycles, and paddle boards for free at the front desk. The amenities in the cabin were much nicer than expected. The grounds were quiet and dark... Which being from the city, is a huge deal! I've never seen so many stars, and it was wonderful falling asleep to the sounds of nature.

• Stayed July 2014
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear BMalonzo, I hope it wasn't to bright when you got home. Our skys can be even clearer in the winter. Hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. Thank you for the nice comments.

Been to Snug Harbor Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!