“Snug & Inviting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Snug Harbor Resort & Marina

You added Snug Harbor Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Snug Harbor Resort & Marina
1997 Mitchell Bay Rd., San Juan Island, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA 98250   |
Special Rate
Save $100 on your stay.
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Friday Harbor
Giverny
“Snug & Inviting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is away from the hustle & bustle of Friday Harbor but just a short drive which is lovely. We stayed here in July and the weather was nice. The property is right on the water with trees all around. Quiet, relaxing, restful describe this beautiful place! We were in cabin 12 and were very happy with the location. The cabins are very well done with quality appointments gorgeous woods, very special. Lots of attention to detail and quality construction. A coffee shop is in the lobby though you have coffee in your cabin with a nice kitchen and a grill on your deck with a picnic table as well. Cooking in your cabin helps cut expenses as eating out every night in the islands gets spendy! Friendly helpful staff too.

Room Tip: We liked cabin 12 as it was up on the hill above the lobby but all the cabins have great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Dragonladygiverny, Thank you for sharing your experience with our other guests. I'm frequently asked, what is my favorite cabin. Having been in them all and stayed overnight in most, they all have their own unique view. I'm glad you liked cabin 12.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This new and improved property is wonderful. We had a short break to enjoy the summer and scenery, and this was perfect. The cabin is beautifully built and decorated, and the property, though still under construction, was also very nice. Lots of attention to detail, its clear when done, it will be even better. Service was also excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Hi Ann, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. A lot of effort has gone into making Snug Harbor a year round luxury destination resort. All the work is completed and the contractors have gone home. Fall is amazing in the San Juans, hope too see you back.
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I know, I shouldn't use double negatives, especially not in headlines. But unless you are dying to be right in the heart of town, this place just seems superior to the other options we saw. We went to SJI to get away from hustle and bustle, to connect with nature, and to chill. Snug Harbor offered all of that. The setting was so unbelievably serene- exactly what the pictures showed.
Our cabin was brand new, and my wife, daughter and I felt like we had gone to a special place, without having to die in the process.
As others have said, you give up a few things. There's no restaurant on site, although there is a place to get lattes (etc.) next to the office (this is Washington, after all.) On the other hand, you have a nice kitchen area so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on breakfast or lunch, if you prefer to stay put. Nice grocery store in town provided everything we needed for that. The view was amazing, and led to many nice moments either on our porch or in our cabin. Awesome beds and showers too, along with dvd player and tv, though we did not use the latter.
There were a few things I would have liked to see different. The windows in the front of the cabins don't open, not even at the top, and that restricts ventilation. Not a big problem at night, as it was brisk, but it got a little steamy during the day. Also, their office is only open til 7m, which created a problem, as our zodiac whale watching tour with Western Prince (awesome, by the way,) was leaving at 3, and we couldn't eat dinner in town if we had to rush out to check in. I tried to get an earlier check in, but without going into too many details, they sort of fumbled the ball. I think if they had more experienced front desk staff, the hassle could have been avoided, and this lack of experience popped up another time as well.
All that being said, I stand by the fact that this is an exceptional option. The staff, even those without much experience, were all very nice and wanted to be helpful, so hopefully that will improve with time. The other benefits- including proximity to Lime Kiln, small scale, comfortable quarters in a beautiful setting, etc. far outweighed this, and we would stay again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: rooms up on the hill are a little more private and still have a lovely view of the harbor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Chickyskids, We truly appreciate the review and the details you shared. I apologize for the challenges at the front desk. You easily should have been able to have a late check in and not had to hurry back after your whale trip. We will continue to strive to provide excellent customer service. The weather for July was fantastic and unseasonably warm. We have found that with the back bedroom window open and the front corner window open good cross cooling does occur. Of course, if it is completely calm, nothing helps. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to the San Juan Islands.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We picked Snug Harbor for a couple reasons:
-it is waterfront with firepits
-the cabins have kitchens to save on expenses of eating out
-our whale watch tour with Legacy Charters left directly from the harbor
-loved the idea of having a cabin and not a hotel room

We got all this and more! You're able to check out kayaks, bicycles, and paddle boards for free at the front desk. The amenities in the cabin were much nicer than expected. The grounds were quiet and dark... Which being from the city, is a huge deal! I've never seen so many stars, and it was wonderful falling asleep to the sounds of nature.

• Stayed July 2014
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear BMalonzo, I hope it wasn't to bright when you got home. Our skys can be even clearer in the winter. Hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again soon. Thank you for the nice comments.
Murphys, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This place is perfect. The cabins are new and very well appointed. The waterfront location is serene and peaceful. Nice that kayaks and SUP boards are available. Also really enjoyed the fire pits at night. Andy at the front desk was delightful. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Perry, I'm glad you enjoyed the complimentary Kayaks and SUPs. Our goal is for our guests to leave relaxed and rejuvenated. (and hopefully planning their next visit but that's another story). I've made sure Andi saw your nice compliment. Hope to see you back soon.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I always do a lot of research before booking my vacation. On San Juan Island, I was deciding between staying in Friday, Roche, or Snug Harbor. I decided on Snug Harbor for three reasons. 1) I really liked the idea of staying in a cabin with a kitchen. 2) I liked the fact that the kayaking and whale watching tours leave from right out front. 3) It was close to Lime Kiln park (aka whale watching park.) This was a great decision. The people were very nice and accommodating. It’s not a place where you get daily room service, but I like that. If you need anything all you have to do is ask. I have never stayed at Snug Harbor before so I cannot compare it to how it was, I can only tell you how incredibly wonderful it is now. The cabins are brand new with almost floor to ceiling windows in the living room overlooking the bay. The kitchen has great amenities and there’s a bbq on the patio outside. The furnishings are nicely done with artwork from the region. My typical day consisted of waking up to a beautiful view of the bay, enjoying my coffee outside, doing some activity, (kayaking, whale watching, visiting Lime Kiln, going to town) then arriving home to have a drink while watching what I call the resident seal come for his evening visit. One evening I was able to watch a bald eagle hunt for fish. The resort has kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, and bikes for the guests to use. I didn’t, but thought that was a nice touch. There are two fire pits for the guests to use as well. There is cable TV and internet access. I especially liked that the day trips I planned went right out from the harbor. All other patrons on the trips had to come in from Friday Harbor. There is still work going on. One cabin is getting some finishing touches and the landscaping was going in during my five-day visit. I can only imagine what it’s going to look like when the trees grow in a bit. I’m not sure words can do this place justice, you might just have to go experience it for yourself. If and when I return to San Juan Island, I will definitely stay at Snug Harbor.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Leo, Thank you for the expansive review and your attention to our attention to detail. Your description made me want to wake up in the morning and do exactly what you were describing, unfortunately I have to work. A lot of work and many decisions were made in the hope of having our guests experience what you described so eloquently. Thank you for making us feel like we have succeeded in our efforts.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

All our stress melted away at this beautiful location. We loved the quite harbor views and the proximity to great boating and kayaking. I think the owners attention to detail is fantastic and their interest in the protecting the environment shows with all they have done in the resort. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Genesis, We are happy to be part of melting your stress away. Feel free to return at any time for more stress reducing therapy. Thank you for selecting us for your San Juan Island stay.

Been to Snug Harbor Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!