I know, I shouldn't use double negatives, especially not in headlines. But unless you are dying to be right in the heart of town, this place just seems superior to the other options we saw. We went to SJI to get away from hustle and bustle, to connect with nature, and to chill. Snug Harbor offered all of that. The setting was so unbelievably serene- exactly what the pictures showed.
Our cabin was brand new, and my wife, daughter and I felt like we had gone to a special place, without having to die in the process.
As others have said, you give up a few things. There's no restaurant on site, although there is a place to get lattes (etc.) next to the office (this is Washington, after all.) On the other hand, you have a nice kitchen area so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on breakfast or lunch, if you prefer to stay put. Nice grocery store in town provided everything we needed for that. The view was amazing, and led to many nice moments either on our porch or in our cabin. Awesome beds and showers too, along with dvd player and tv, though we did not use the latter.
There were a few things I would have liked to see different. The windows in the front of the cabins don't open, not even at the top, and that restricts ventilation. Not a big problem at night, as it was brisk, but it got a little steamy during the day. Also, their office is only open til 7m, which created a problem, as our zodiac whale watching tour with Western Prince (awesome, by the way,) was leaving at 3, and we couldn't eat dinner in town if we had to rush out to check in. I tried to get an earlier check in, but without going into too many details, they sort of fumbled the ball. I think if they had more experienced front desk staff, the hassle could have been avoided, and this lack of experience popped up another time as well.
All that being said, I stand by the fact that this is an exceptional option. The staff, even those without much experience, were all very nice and wanted to be helpful, so hopefully that will improve with time. The other benefits- including proximity to Lime Kiln, small scale, comfortable quarters in a beautiful setting, etc. far outweighed this, and we would stay again in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Snug Harbor Resort is entering a new era for 2014. We have completed all 16 of our amazing new cabins. We also have a new lobby, gift shop, coffee shop and an events room with seating for 60 right on the waters edge. We offer deluxe one and two bedroom cabins with full kitchens, sumptuous interiors, fireplaces, flat screen tv's, and private decks. Your hardest decision might be which one to stay in. They are each unique in their own special way and unparalleled on San Juan Island We are located on the West side of San Juan Island on peaceful Mitchell Bay. Our 5 acre property has over 600' of beach and our own private marina. Guests enjoy our beach side fire pits, barbecues and the complimentary use of our two canoes, kayaks, stand up paddle boards or bikes. Whale watching and sea kayaking tours leave daily from our docks, just steps from your front door. When you come to Snug Harbor be ready to detach a little. While we have Wi-Fi and cell phone service throughout the resort, there are no phones in our cabins. Our coffee shop, Mitchell Bay Coffee, operates daily during the summer offering a full array of coffee drinks, fresh waffles, Rain City Granola, Umpqua Oats, soup, pastries and freshly baked cookies. Whether you come by car or boat, your time at Snug Harbor Resort will truly be an exceptional experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your Snug Harbor Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Snug Harbor Marina Hotel Friday Harbor
- Snug Harbor Resort & Marina Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA