“Just average” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed in Spieden room for 2 nights.

PROS
- Excellent location
- Comfy bed
- Decent breakfast
- Excellent bathroom toiletries
- Use of bathroom/shower after checkout
- Computer available

CONS
- Horrible morning noise from grocery store loading dock starting at 5:30am
- Terrible room and bathroom lighting
- CREAKY bed
- Depressing and annoying music in lobby/breakfast

Room Tip: Stayed in Spieden 2 nights. No noise from breakfast area but horrible noise from grocery store parki...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Yoido,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us. Constructive feedback like yours will make us a better place.
We will fix the creaky bed and look at the lighting right away. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.
Looks like it's time to change our playlist to something more upbeat. We will do that.
We are so sorry about the loading dock. As I said in response to the review before yours, we really try to alert our neighbors to the fact that we have guests sleeping. We put a sign on the loading dock saying "pssst, our guests are sleeping". It's definitely time for some more negotiations with our neighbors.
Please come back sometime. Maybe check out our sister hotel, the Earthbox Inn & Spa, two blocks away. Our rooms there are away from the street and it's quieter there in general.
We would love to have a chance to spoil you how we intended.

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Montclair, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights on SJI recently. In general I'd say its cute its nicely appointed super clean and you can't beat the location but its the loudest darn hotel I've stayed at in a long time. My room was directly over a loading doc for a grocery store and it was in full swing at 6am. So friggin annoying. Mow they don't have any AC as its not required in the SJIs which means you have no white noise. The TV didn't work, Suomi couldn't find alternative noise there and the wifi didn't work either.

So in short this is a cute place with nice staff and very clean but you will not get a full nights rest here.

I will be back to Friday Harbor, but not back to the bird rock

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Daniel,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay. We can only improve when getting constructive feedback from our wonderful guests like you.
Oh the noise from the loading dock. We are so sorry. Believe me, we have begged, we have negotiated, we have yelled, we mounted a sign on the loading dock to alert the drivers to the fact that people are sleeping right next door. And we will do it all again. It's the price we pay for the awesome location we have.
I wish you would have alerted us to the fact that your TV and wifi didn't work. If they are down, it's usually just a quick fix.
The next time you are in the San Juans check out our sister property the Earthbox Inn & Spa. Our rooms there are away from the street and it's generally a little quieter there.
We would love a chance to give you the island experience we wanted you to have.
Bothell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Loved this place....I usually stay at Friday harbor house but they were full and my sister in law from Chicago saw this place online ....so we booked two rooms.
My daughters and I stayed in the spieden room - her and my niece and nephew in Lopez suite ...
I was pleasantly satisfied with everything.
The rooms were adorable.
The staff...so sweet...and completely customer orientated.
I know some reviews complain about noise....but it is situated right in town and this is an old hotel updated adorably...and I mean adorable.
The little extra noise we heard I didn't care.
The bed was so comfortable. Seriously.
The morning brunch was great. Fresh fruit, etc. coffee was delicious and I'm a coffee snob.

Sweet atmosphere all around.
I'd recommend this hotel for couples ...or if someone is traveling solo.
It did get slightly warm in our room...so we pulled out a fan for the night.
Nice staff.

Room Tip: I wasn't street side...so quieter by our room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had an opportunity to stay at this lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Friday Harbor. The room was well appointed, the amenities carefully chosen. It was a bit on the snug side, with no desk for those of us who still needed to be bound to the outside world with a laptop. But the staff was more than gracious and helpful. The free breakfast in the lobby with fresh baked scones was a great way to get the day started. There's no parking lot, and finding a spot on the weekend can be a bit of a challenge. But overall, it was a wonderful experience, and one we'd highly recommend.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with an included bath. Also, if you have a lot of luggage you might ask fo...
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I recently stayed in the Bainbridge Suite for one night. I loved everything about it and couldn't have asked for a better experience. This is a 2 bedroom suite (one king and 1 queen) with a small living room area between and 1 bathroom. We were two couples and though the queen room was a bit tight, it served our main purpose for sleeping. I loved the location as it was in walking distance to the ferry, shops and restaurants. I especially enjoyed the afternoon lemonade and cookies (both homemade!). The breakfast was really nice as well though it was tight on space. In all, I thoroughly enjoyed my time and only wished I had more nights to stay.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hotel is clean and the staff was nice. But my room (skip jack) was super tiny. Furniture huge so I have the bruises on my shins to prove it. Plus it was hot in July. This room bakes in the afternoon sun. While u can open your door to let cool air in, I was not comfortable sleeping like that as it was a shared porch. And the room had NO windows. It was in fact a closet. Can't recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Lauraintenley,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay.
I'm so sorry we didn't live up to your standards. Yes, the Skip Jack is tiny. Back when our hotel was built in 1892, rooms, furniture and people were smaller. Since it's a historic building we have certain limitations on what we can and can not do during renovations.
We love the quirkiness, the mixture of historic and modern, of our little hotel, but totally understand it's not for everybody.
Upon your review we took the Skip Jack off third party booking engines (where we can't describe our rooms in detail). In order to book it, one has to call us and we will make sure to explain the room's limitations. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.
And please come back some other time and stay in one of our bigger suites.
Monroe, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed in the "Shaw" room. It had a tile shower unit that wasn't closed off from the rest of the room. So, this room in particular is well suited for singles or couples, but if you've got a family you'll have to account for privacy when showering. However, the toilet was sectioned off. The bed was super comfortable with the trifecta of down feather features (mattress top, pillows, comforter). The breakfast is awesome. The staff are really nice. The details of decoration make this hotel unique and a really great play to stay right downtown close to everything!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bird Rock Hotel? Share your experiences!