“Westin RIverwalk” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
McAllen, Texas
“Westin RIverwalk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Staying at the Westin RIverwalk was just a great experience for my wife and I, Eugene Schlaff is the person who recommended us this hotel if we were ever in San Antonio. Eugene mentioned the food was great and boy was he right... the food was excellent and the wait staff and customer service was something else. They were very courteous and very prompt, I would recommend any of my friends and family to come experience great food, awesome rooms, and the best customer service in a hotel. Thank you Eugene and 2 thumbs up for you my friend.

Room Tip: would recommend a suite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
executiveoffice1667, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you Mike for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. I am elated you were recommended by Eugene to stay with us and I am even more excited that you plan on recommended our property to your friends and family. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Bill Petrella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I took a brief weekend getaway to a town I hear much about but never visited. I will say I was much impressed with the front of the house staff even before my arrival. 3 days prior to arrival, a welcome email to confirm the stay. This is not uncommon for Westins. However, a call a day prior....excellent personal touch and reassurance from a dedicated staff. Matt at check-in was full of food news. Upgrade to suite per status. One word...awesome!! Corner suites rule in this property. Spacious, clean, large bathrooms with all of the fine world class amenities you would expect at The Westin. Heavenly bed....indeed!!!! stocked mini bar and the makings for a great in room experience. Thank you Ashley for the call 24 hours prior and thank you Kim for the call after check in to confirm all was to our liking in our room.
David, the concierge, made excellent recommendations and did what a world class concierge does. He made the impossible look...." Secondary and ever so effortless " made reservations in two sold out restaurants both in prime locations.
Where things need improvement. Breakfast at Zocca. We experienced no service. Not a lack of service or poor service, NO service. Don't know what happened. Other than being greeted by Anthony, everything else we fetched for ourselves. I voice my discontent and was reassured this was not the norm. We were invited to revisit them again and though we're hesitant at first, did so the following say. Night and day difference. Two managers and two wait staff at our every whim. Not just for us but for all. This is what is expected at such caliber of place. I commended Anthony and angel our server for such great service and recovery.
Housekeeping, for whatever reason, turn down was requested twice and twice not offered during our stay after being confirmed it would occur. Though the room was cleaned well upon arrival as well as each day, a room refresh is always a welcomed sight and one I usually require in my stays. Gave feedback to the front desk in an effort for them to review this for future stays and future patrons.
The pool and gym area. Perhaps a bit small but what it lacks in size it makes up with service. Andy the pool bartender makes a "mean" perfect margarita and if it's not perfect enough for you....he makes it so! He won't let you have it unless it's to your liking PRRIOF! That's the only way it should be. Trust me when I say.....everyone likes their drinks at the pool bat. Way to go Andy!!
In recap, an excellent place with many best in class attributes. Some areas missed the mark once, recovered excellently. Others need a bit more follow up but are moving in the same direction. I would say The Westin Riverwalk is a solid 4.5 star performer on their way to a 5th. I will return to this property and recommend it to all.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you 305travelguru, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out various positive aspects of the hotel from the location to the rooms. I am also happy a few people were able to make your stay even better such as Ashley, Kim, David and the Zocca staff for stepping up at the second chance you gave them. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again .

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were recently visiting the Riverwalk and were recommended this great restaurant by Eugene Schlaff. WOW !! Wonderful Italian food, lovely atmosphere, spot on service and prices that will bring me back. Need I say more!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Terry, for giving us your wonderful feedback on your dining experience at Zocca Cuisine d'Italia. I am glad Eugene was able to make your experience with our award winning restaurant even better. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Across the Westin Riverwalk Hotel is a private $15 day credit card only multilevel parking garage right immediately across from the hotel entrance, or you can use the Westin valet parking at $30 per day. Good luck on finding a $2/day parking lot close by. The bellhops have no phone number so I called the operator, perhaps the front desk, and requested my bag at 4:13 pm. At 4:53 pm I called again and James said they could get the bag up in 5 minutes and the luggage arrived. The bell staff was fast and courteous and while the 1st operator had other priorities and not concerned about the bell hops tips. A phone line for the bellmen would help the Westin’s service.
The rooms were clean and new looking. The cleaning was thorough. The bathroom had best quality tissue paper, nice towels and fancy soaps. There is only one set of elevators on one side of the building so asking to be close to the elevator will save you steps, but you will also hear the people talking in the hall hiking 250 feet to the far rooms. They do allow barking dogs in a few the rooms. The rooms were stocked with a pay snack\liqueur\drink bar. A free small Starbucks coffee maker was available. The shower was the best and you will want one for your home. The cluster of restaurants on the river walk is a couple of blocks away, up and down stairs.
The convention area was on the floor called Ballroom. They had several large rooms that could seat 165 people with chairs and tables and could convert the room to 16 round dinner tables of about 8-10 people. There were other smaller rooms for meeting also. The front desk when asked said that the WiFi was free for all conference members. The conference rate July 2013 was $159/night plus $26.60 taxes. The outside of the hotel looks old, but the inside is state of the art new and clean. If flying in it might be good to find a shuttle or taxi instead of renting a car and paying to park it at the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
allen texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very nice hotel right on the river. It's what you would expect from a westin. The hotel was clean staff was friendly and the location is good. It is a little walk to the main attractions and restaurants on the river but not bad at all. My only critiques would be the pool was very small for the size of the hotel and the balconies were also small with no place to sit. One of the nicest parts was the bar staff at zocca. Very friendly and knowledgable about the area. Great service! We visit the river once or twice a year and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Kradebaugh, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for indicating various positive aspects of the hotel from the location to the staff. We do have larger balconies that are only available to certain rooms. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our family spent a night in this hotel and we had a really nice experience with the service. The lobby and common areas were very upscale and generous in size. We booked adjacent rooms but were not available upon arrival so we had to settle for next door rooms. The rooms were quite for the most part. Lots of families with boisterous children so the level of noise can only be diminished up to certain point. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Great food no discounts for kids buffet so I would recommend buying from the menu.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Raquelina, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out various positive aspects of the hotel such as the service. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I just read last review and they raised same thought that I had - there was a toothpick outside my door in the hallway - I saw it when I checked in, next morning, next evening, every time I walked in and out. No vacuuming. When I checked in to my room, my complimentary bottle of water was not there, but the tab to be put on that bottle was there. One bathroom glass was turned over, like it had just been used, a dirty bar of soap was in the tub, and one bottle of shampoo was likely used prior to me using it. Shower temperature was also an issue - never thought I would get hot water one morning.

The hotel is ok - it's a Westin - fell a short of expectations but you won't go wrong, generally, by using this hotel. But there are lots of other options in the convention district by the waterway. I'd likely stay somewhere else just for many of the little things they were missing. Stayed 2 nights, for business. One more little thing - I was never asked if I wanted a paper and I saw some doors had papers delivered. I'm a member of Starwood program so not sure if its related to program levels or not. Again, the little things did this place in.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hi Mike, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. An apology, at this point, would not make up for the lapses in service you experienced while staying with us.

Our operational teams were astounded to read that you experienced so many mishaps during your stay. We are looking into the various process related issues and action will be taken to make sure top-level service is received by everyone. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, was not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide.

Thank you for your feedback and we welcome the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.

Bill Petrella

Been to The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio? Share your experiences!