“"Charming Historic Property, Convenient to Riverwalk!"” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
155th Anniversary Package
Ranked #110 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Washington DC
“"Charming Historic Property, Convenient to Riverwalk!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Staying at the Menger was an absolutely wonderful experience. You really feel as though you are set in the history and elegance of old-world times, with all the amenities of the modern world. The rooms were clean, beautiful and very comfortable. My room overlooked a courtyard that was surrounded by rocking chairs, only adding to the quiet comfort of this hotel. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful from the moment I checked in, to the moment I checked out.

Furthermore, the Menger is strategically located in walking distance of San Antonio's main attractions. I never needed a car. It is literally right next to the Alamo, attached to a mall, and across the street from the Riverwalk. I would highly recommend staying at the Menger to any of my friends or colleagues that are planning a visit to San Antonio.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

My friend and I stayed for the weekend and the location was great. We chose this hotel because we wanted to be right by the Riverwalk, right next door to the Alamo, close to food, shopping, and night life, and for the Spa and Menger bar located in the hotel. The hotel was very historic and nice. However, the room where we stayed (new wing) was not up-to-date. There was a musty smell, old carpet, only two electrical outlets (bathroom and lamp in room.. not helpful for us girls!). The doors, closets, and bathroom were very old. However, it was enough for us to get through the weekend. We were able to figure out how to turn on the AC but there was not any way we could turn on the heater.

One thing to be aware of is the parking. We were not able to find any parking close by so we had to valet our vehicle for two days. The rate for valet is $25 per night and it was charged to our room. So expect to pay an additional $25/per night for parking for staying at this hotel. The positive side to this was that we were able to go in and out as we pleased for the flat rate.

The Spa was excellent. It is located downstairs in the pool area and they were very professional and did a great job.

My main complaint about this hotel was the service we received at the Colonial Room (dining area). The food was great, however, the service was horrible. The waitstaff was very rude and lacked customer service skills. The breakfast buffet is till 1130am and we arrived at 11am. We were sat down at a table and told to wait and it took 15 minutes for someone to finally come to our table. Then at 1115am, we were told that the breakfast buffet was over and we had to wait till 1140am for the lunch buffet to start. We had no choice so we waited. During the entire time, the waitress never came to refill our drinks and we had to flag her down each time to get any kind of service. We were very irritated with their lack of service, however, did our best not to let that ruin our stay.

There are pros and cons to this hotel, but overall, it was a good experience. If the room was a little bit more up-to-date, it would be near perfect. I would definitely stay here again due to the convenience of the location and access to everything else around.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Stayed for five days in early March. My room was on the 5th floor in the new wing was clean and well kept (with the exception of a closet knob and bureau knob that fell off). with two double beds, a TV and ironing board. No microwave or refrigerator, but there was a coffee maker which I didn't use. Staff was friendly and quickly checked me in on my arrival at about 1pm. Only one elevator, rather far from the lobby but close to the bellboys. My room overlooked the pool and I never heard any noise. Some friends overlooked the Alamo, which is directly across the street, but also said they didn't hear any street noise. I didn't eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant but preferred to visit nearby restuarants (there is a Denny's a 5 min walk away). Friends who ate there said the breakfast buffet was over $13 but orders ala carte off the menu took a long time to be delivered. The lobby and hallways are lined with cases displaying commercial goods sold by stores in the hotel and also historic memorbilia and photographs. The Alamo is about a 1 minute walk and the Riverwalk about 5 minutes. The streetcar stops about 100 feet away. The airport shuttle was totally unsatisfactory, and its cheaper to take a taxi if you have two or more people.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

The Menger is a historic hotel located right next to the Alamo in downtown San Antonio. The location is an excellent one - a short walk to a lot great restaurants and night spots. The ground floor of the Menger is really nice and makes an excellent impression. Don't miss the old historic bar - but don't expect quick or overly friendly service there (quite unlike most San Antonio venues). The Menger's restaurant serves a terrific weekend brunch that is well worth the price, however the regular meals during the week are not up to the same standard; not to worry though, as there are lots of excellent choices for your meal nearby. The rooms are very disappointing. As a historic hotel it is understandable that some things can't be significantly changed or updated but tired and worn carpets and furnishings, unsightly additions such as internet wiring (a real second rate installation job) really detract. The plumbing was horrible - it was common to get scalded and then frozen during the same shower session just because someone down the hall flushed their toilet. The staff were very inconsistent in their desire and ability to be of assistance - some were really "Texas Friendly" and others must have been imported from the state of arrogance. Overall, I was very disappointed in the Menger, despite its excellent location.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

I was very excited to be able to stay at the Menger Hotel. I knew going into our weekend stay there that the hotel was very old and historic. I had researched it online, viewed pictures and read up on the history. Therefore, I was aware that I was not staying a 5 star all inclusive hotel. I was also hoping that I would see some ghost activity. Upon arrival we were met by a wonderful Valet parking team, they were very friendly. Next, the check in went very smooth, front desk was very helpful. I was so overwhelmed at the beauty that the Menger holds. Once in our room, I would have to say it was small, so was the bathroom (but again I knew that this hotel was old), so I was not dissapointed at all. We had a great view of the Alamo. Immediatley we put our things away and headed out to see this historic hotel. The pictures online do not do this hotel justice... the history, the old pictures, the displays of actual items from the hotel dated 1800's is amazing. So did we actually get to see or feel ghostly activity? the answer is no, but if you believe in ghostly energy in the form of orbs, well then you won't be disappointed. I did take my digital camera and shoot pictures all over the hotel, I have several pictures that came back with orbs. I truly believe that the Menger Hotel has ghostly energy that resides there.
The Menger is located right in the middle of downtown, 1 block from the riverwalk. I was very pleased with its location. If you can make sure the you have their breakfast buffet..you won't be disappointed.
So overall I was very happy with The Menger and plan to stay there again.
I would have to say that I will be staying at the Menger again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

The reviews for this hotel are accurate. It's history is interesting, and it is a fun short tour of the historic spaces. The hotel is incredibly well located, close to the Riverwalk and the Alamo, but it is obviously cutting corners in terms of room-quality for the basic double. I can't speak to the historic section, but the room I was in overlooked the pool, smelled of paint, had a malfunctioning sliding door making the balcony unusable, the TV was an older model (not a flat panel), and maybe I'm crazy, but one of the beds was pressed against the wall. I just don't like that. However, the room was clean and relatively comfortable. The staff is pleasant and courteous. The valet parking is $25 a day, but I never waited longer than 15 minutes for the car, and calling ahead completely eliminated the wait time. It was fun to see it, but I'd stay at another hotel next time.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

The public areas of the Menger are quite beautiful. I attended an executive board meeting in one of their meeting rooms which was quite comfortable. The rooms themselves were merely "ok", nothing really specially about them.

The Alamo was visible directly out my window. The windows themselves were only single paned and they were cold and wet from condensation (due to the rare cold spell that San Antonio was experiencing). The room's heater was adequate, but not quite warm.

Like another reviewer, I was disappointed at the tv channel selection, but for a simple place to spend the night, close to the attractions, I actually enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Menger Hotel? Share your experiences!