“Good but know what to expect” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
155th Anniversary Package
Ranked #129 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Kerens,Texas
“Good but know what to expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2005

We stayed March 31-April 1 and had a great time. But we knew what to expect- the Menger is old and not the most up to date or renovated place. However, it is hard to beat the charm of the lobbies and the proximity to the Alamo. Our room, 2080, looked out onto the plaza and side gate. The room is small but everything was fine. The bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. Just be warned- no coffee maker. Complimentary coffee in the lobby until 0900. Really enjoyed the historic Menger Bar. Our experience with check in was very positive- courteous and pleasant. Valet and bell services were prompt. We had no spooky experiences.

• Stayed January 2005

872 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

We are currently guests in your hotel. We have been here since Thursday night. This was supposed to be my surprise anniversary trip for my husband and daughter. I married the two of them 3 years ago. I had fully expected this to be an eventful, yet relaxing trip.

Unfortunately, to this point it has been anything but.

On Wednesday evening, upon arrival we are told there are no rooms for us. That while my reservation (for two double bed, balcony room) has been made since 2/14, my room was not available and we would be put in one to be moved the next day. Check in itself took about 45 minutes. I had also ordered an anniversary basket for my husband to be in the room upon arrival, and had asked the lady at the desk when we arrived if it was here. She said yes just before she gave me the spill about there being no room service at night "until further notice". There was no basket. We got to the room, could not move, but tried to unwind but knowing we couldn't unpack anything gave up around 2am.

We woke up Thursday morning, waited until noon, which is when we were told to recheck in. At that time we are told again that the pool view, double beds was not available. And they would have to check for something else and to call back later. I called back about 15 mins later to find out that our room was ready, to have bags backed, and they would move everything that day.

We went to lunch, and to the Alamo. Upon returning about 4:30, we were told our things had been moved to our current room 4007. We get here, it is not a balcony room, it is a slight pool view, but it has one bed. I call the front desk and they said they didn't know the double bed was a priority. My child was with me though all of this and I had registered 2 adults and 1 child. She then said she was sorry but this was all they had but they would send a cot up to the room. About 30 mins later a cot was brought up and we had to move the room around to get it to fit in where we would not kill ourselves on it.

I had told the front desk I wanted to speak to a manager on the 1st time the problem arose and they said he was not available at that time. I explained on Thursday that I would like a manager to call me in my room. Never happened. This is written documentation that shows I have tried to talk with someone regarding these problems. I had originally had reservations with the Emily Morgan and only switched to the Menger because my daughter loves the whole "ghost phenomenon". I have traveled all over the world and stayed in many types of hotels. In Egypt I had less problems that I have had here. At this point I do not have a good review for this hotel with travelocity, or hotels.com.

Being completely concerned about our living quarters on my anniversary weekend has not led to a pleasurable trip, first trip, to San Antonio. I thought you should know beforehand any dissatisfaction before you saw a review elsewhere. I hope things will improve here before another trip to SA although I doubt I will stay here again.

As of right now I still have had no response from the Manager of the Menger.

usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

Went to the Menger in March of 03. We didn't know when we got thier that the hotel would be under construction. Because of the noise we asked that our room be moved, and had no problem. The proximity to the Alamo was fantatsic and the staff were friendly. Lovely lobby but the renovation is needed.

Once it is complete - I'll stay again!

Stayed January 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2005

The Menger has a gorgeous lobby and garden but once you get to your room be prepared to be disappointed. Our particular room was tiny, dusty and creepy. Valet service was overly priced and extremely slow. We were five minutes late getting to the valet because it took so long for someone to come get our bags and they tried to charge us for another day!!!! I do believe the ghost stories only because the whole place gave our family a really uncomfortable feeling. We had our two year old twins with us and they were so creeped out that one them kept grabbing his shoes and trying to leave. The staff was rude and not particularly nice at all. It was convienent being so close to the Alamo and the Riverwalk but I would never stay there again.

Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

I have stayed at the Menger on several occassions over the past 7 years. The location is great and the hotel has a charm like no other hotel in San Antonio. The hotel has always been comfortable and clean in the past. But our stay this weekend will likely be our last. It's clear the management has deteriorated, as has the care of the hotel. The place was not clean. Carpeting throughout the old section was very dirty and had not been vaccumed (both in hallways, stairways and in our room). The linens in our room were the worst I've ever seen at any motel or hotel (Motel 6 could have done better). They were discolored gray and were very course. When I called housekeeping to ask for another set, the response I got was that all their linens looked the same! Our bed was very uncomfortable. The bathroom overall could have stood better cleaning - especially the tub. The service throughout the hotel was lackluster at best...from the valet, to the front desk and beyond. The exercise room needs updating. The Menger is definitely not keeping up to many of the other hotels in the competitive downtown San Antonio market.It seems the Menger is content to survive on its history and location -- but for us that's not worth the money - better to stay at a clean Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Menger for two nights, despite the reviews of old squeaky beds. This hotel is in a perfect location for visiting San Antonio. It overlooks the Alamo, the Rivercenter mall is directly behind it, and the Riverwalk is within two blocks. Everything you need is close by. The staff is great, the bar is OK, but would recommend going somewhere on the Riverwalk. The history of the hotel is excellent. Our room did not have a squeaky bed. The worst part of the hotel is the valet parking. The voucher states will take up to 30 mins, I was quoted 25 mins, but it took them 47 mins. If flying or in a hurry be sure to call the valet early to give time ample to time retrieve your vehicle.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2005

The Menger receives varied reviews but I think its all in what your looking for in a hotel. If you want a nice to very nice room, a very nice lobby, swimming pool, and great location as far as the Alamo, Riverwalk activities then this is your type of hotel. It is old but if you like history then this makes for an interesting stay. The hotel is not plush but is very nice and comfortable. The rooms are small but have working internet connections, televisions sets with cable and a good picture. We have stayed here three times and have been pleased with our overall rooms, parking and service from the staffs. The valet parking is a little expensive $19.00 plus tax. I believe it was $17.00 last year. You can park for $8.00 every 24 hours in the garage a block away. We have stayed in four or five of the Riverwalk hotels but this is our favorite for the price. We thought the Mansion Hotel was overall better but more expensive.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Menger Hotel? Share your experiences!