“Ask for a suite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Pennsylvania
“Ask for a suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

My wife and I spent four nights at the Menger in early May. We were part of a group of 30 who met there for a celebration. We asked for a suite and it was a great decision . It was magnificant! Two rooms, king size bed, whirlpool tub, all in a decor with antique furniture. It was a trip back in time.
The old hotel is in wonderful condition, a masterpiece of craftsmanship and architecture from the old west. A visit to the bar recalls Teddy Roosevelt's days of recruting his Rough Riders. The garden is beautiful, the pool very cool and welcome in the Texas heat, and 8 feet deep, not seen in too many places today.
Don't miss the breakfast buffet ($12) on weekends. Of course, the Alamo is right across the street and the River Walk about three blocks away.
Some comments from others staying there for the celebration had complaints about their rooms being too small. Parts of the Menger and more than 100 years old and if size of the room is a concern, we suggest that you mention it when making your reservation. If you are willing to pay a little extra for a suite, you will not be disappointed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
SA TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

My friend from out of state came to see my and his best friend. He was going to his next stop be for shipping out for overseas, AKA: WAR. I pulled in the the drop off zone to and was going to just let him get his room on his own. He had 3 bags; over seas bag, a very big duffle, and his army backpack. We had to care all his stuff, the bellman did not even ask if we need a cart and did not ask me if i needed help! I am 5'2! his sea bag is as big as I am! We got to the checkin and he was tolled he would be paying 300$ on top of what he had payed for his room. This was for stuff he my use or get during his stay. And I came to find out he would not get the cash back in less he asked for it when he left! The room was old and rundown! He may as well of stayed at my place, it dose not smell!

Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

I've always wanted to stay here. Have visited San Antonio maybe 20 time over the past 30 years and the Menger was always there beckoning me yet I never was able to quite arrange for it. This time, however, I made a point of staying at this wonderful Historic Hotel.
My room as a regular room, no suite, at about $169/night. Very high ceilings, overlooking the courtyard, it was quite comfortable. It came equipped with free internet, which was a plus. Didn't drink the $8 bottled water. The bathroom was right out of the 40's and from what the front desk told me, they want it that way although we would have liked to see some upgrading. The windows to the courtyard opened up to a very small balcony which was verboten to guests ......... signage said that. Overall, a very nice stay.

Corpus Christi, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

We have stayed at the Menger many times over the years, and have been so disappointed the last couple of times. The staff is wonderful, but the hotel is run down. Common areas are worn and dirty. The lobby smells so bad of smoke from the bar - it's gross! The workout area is small and was really hot. Our room was tiny and hot and dirty. The rooms have always been small - which is okay if the rest of the stay is pleasant. But now - I don't think we will ever stay here again. And the parking charge is highway robbery! It just isn't worth it.

Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

At the end of a horrible week, my husband said let's go to San Antonio for the weekend. I quickly got on the phone and called the Menger as someone in my office had highly recommended it. She said be sure and stay in the new section of the hotel. So instead of booking on line, I called the hotel directly to be specific with our request. I requested a quite room, in the "new section" of the hotel with the bigger bathrooms. The reservation person was at the hotel (not a phone bank) and confirmed our request. When we arrived at the hotel, I once again confirmed with the receptionist checking us in that we were getting a quite room in the new section, she said yes.
Well, they both lied! The very small room was right across the street from the Alamo. The buggy drivers park their rigs on that street while they are trying to get people to engage them. We got to hear the noise from activity all night long as it was a weekend night. Also, the room was not in the new section of this very old hotel so the bathrooms were tiny, the air vents had mold in them and we could hear everything that was going on in the rooms around us all night long.
After having a horrible night without sleep, we checked out. When the receptionist asked how our stay was, I told her very disappointing. I went on to explain that our room was very noisy and not in the new section of the hotel posing the question, was it? She said well the person who checked us in is very honest and the room is in the "new section" but not the "new, new section". Aparently, when I made the reservation initially and the person I spoke to who described the rooms in the "new section" did not reserve a room in the "new, new section", give me a break! Then the clerk checking us out said that if I was dissatisfied, I could fill out the compliant card and mail it in. I thought I'd let Trip Advisor users know instead. I could probably have overlooked the room and the noise had it not been for the terrible attitude of the clerk who checked us out.
The only thing good about the Menger is the convenience of the location. Certainly don't stay here if you want a quite, clean, comfortable room.

Lawrence, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for business and attended a conference onsite. Sleeping room was on the "new" side. Nothing special, carpet a bit worn, beds hard, nice hard shower. Kind of a funky smell in the room and hallways.
Location was excellent for the Riverwalk and other area sites. I'm a big fan of staying in historic hotels and B&Bs, but next time we'll likely stay at one of the big name hotels nearby.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything felt a bit worn.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

I stayed at the Menger last spring and was thinking about making a reservation for this April but I wanted to check the other reviews because I did have some problems.
The Good: If you are tired of chain hotels that all look the same, then the atmosphere and historical legend of this hotel is great. Visually it is a very intereting place. My room did not overlook the Alamo but at night when it is lit up, it really adds to the Hotel's long historied past.
The hotel is also close to the River Walk and just gave me an overall feeling of being in the Old West.
The Bad:
My room was dark. I was there for a conference and some of my colleagues had rooms that were more attractive. We were in the old section.
When I read the first review on this site, that clinched it for me and reconfirmed my initial impression. My room smelled like a cat litter box! I complained and they "cleaned " it again but the smell, like cat [-], never left the room. I don't know if it was the cleaning supplies they use or not but it was very disagreeable. And I am not one to complain unless something is really bad. I have a wide tolerance usually.
I have now decided to go back to the routine chain hotels after bad experiences both here and with the famous Brown Hotel in Denver.
Enough of historical relics!

Been to Menger Hotel? Share your experiences!