“Beautiful, historical, charming and perfectly located!” 5 of 5 stars

Menger Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   204 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #112 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas, United States
“Beautiful, historical, charming and perfectly located!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Used a Groupon for our first trip to San Antonio. Although the hotel has a more modern section, our room was in the historical, original section of the hotel. Loved the charm of the room and the history in the halls of the hotel. The hotel is a literal maze of history with stairs coming out of nowhere, etc. The staff was very personable. Our room was comfortable. Perfect for our trip! Would definitely stay again and would love to stay in one of the historical suites like the Menger Suite, King Suite, Roy Rogers Suite or Mae West Suite.

The hotel is perfectly located for a visit to San Antonio. It is a few minutes walk from practically everything you will want to see - River Center Mall, the Alamo, the River Walk, River Walk boat tours, La Villita, Market Square and a lot of historical buildings. There are tons of great restaurants with a short walk of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Across the street from the Alamo, next to the mall, short walk to the Riverwalk and Cathedral. The hotel is historic, but didn't lack convenience. The bathroom was a little small, but I'm not picky it did the trick! Some said they didn't have water pressure, we hade the opposite problem. It was so strong the overspray would flood the floor. And be sure to watch your chest area (ouch! Lol) would definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2014
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

For our anniversary we decided to take a little trip to the River Walk in San Antonio and stay at the Menger.

It's a lovely hotel with loads of history. The original lobby is spectacular so be sure to walk around. On the second floor is the same table that Teddy Roosevelt recruited the rough riders. The bar where he rode his horse into is now a tobacco store but the bar itself has been moved to the other side of the hotel. You can even see the suite where Roy Rogers AND his horse used to stay.

There's a nicely landscaped central courtyard that used to be filled with mango tree and oddly- monkeys! With a row of rocking chairs perfect for relaxing and looking at the shrubbery- unfortunately this is where the smokers congregate so it really ruins the ambiance. The pool is at the back- with green indoor outdoor carpeting and very bland hotel structures around it.

They are doing some renovations and they don't have very good signs. Valet parking (no self park on site) is on the side street (NOT where the main hotel signs are) then you have to walk down the pavement (in the heat) through the employee entrance to get into the hallways that will take you to the lobby. The hallways to the rooms are also some of the longest I have seen. I strongly suggest you drop the family at the front lobby so they can sit in A/C comfort and one person park the car then ask the the valet to bring up all the bags.

We chose to stay in a full/queen room. It was REALLY small - the bathroom was almost the same size as the bedroom. But it certainly was comfortable. There was a small desk and sitting chair in one corner. A large flat bed TV on the dresser. No view outside the window just the roof of the first floor. Apparently the new section has huge rooms.

Check-in is ridiculously slow- I have no idea why but goodness I didn't think we were ever going to be finished.

There was "free" WIFI and it worked well for email- didn't try it with anything else.

The vending machines only have drinks and the lobby stores are more souvenirs specific so there are no snack type items (like chips) if you need a small something. But you can go across the street to Alamo Drug that has a nice selection along with a small drug store selections. There is an ice cream shop near the lobby that offers free soda fountain refills until they close. They have some un-carbonated selections too.

We ate in the restaurant and it was fine- typical older hotel food. The rib eye steak was really fatty and just the way my son and I like it but my sirloin loving daughter took one bite and refused to eat it. My hubby had the chicken piccata and loved it. We each ordered a different dessert- ugh not good at all. The cheesecake had an odd texture, the choc cake was so dry I couldn't believe they would serve it. But they are famous for their mango ice cream so just stick with that.

It's a nice enough historic hotel. Supposedly haunted but unfortunately (or fortunately?) we didn't see or hear anything unusual.

It is perfectly located- with the Alamo right across the street. All sorts of touristy nonsense (but fun) across the Plaza and the River Center Mall next door.

Room Tip: The historical rooms are tiny and the newer ones are large.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Yes, the Menger is old. (this is where TR recruited for the Rough Riders. Visit the bar to see the bullet holes and photos) It is an historic hotel which means it is La Meridien. If you can appreciate its idiosyncracies like ghosts in the hallways, it is a lovely experience. In the new section the rooms are enormous (20 x 15 at least) Big tiled baths. Ask for balcony overlooking pool. Wonderful place to have breakfast. THe beds are comfortable. Good towels. Very nice people willing to assist you. The pool is huge and heated in winter. There is a hot tub too. Poolside drink service. and the garden adjoins. if you need to relax even more there are rocking chairs and a fountain. The dining room is old school decor and you can eat in the garden. The original lobby is not to be missed: 3 stories capped by a stainglass sky light. wrough iron railings on the mezzanines. Best of all are all the historical photos. Lovely ambience. And you are right next door to the Alamo (I love the gardens) and across the street from Alamo Plaza complete with Band Stand and entrance to the coolest part of the River Walk. Get valet parking for unlimited in and out privileges.

Room Tip: ASk for new section with a balcony overlooking pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
I would like to take this opportunity from the ladies and gentlemen of our staff to say that your comments to Trip Advisor are truly appreciated.

We are very proud neighbors of the downtown historic areas and the Alamo. We are very pleased that our efforts toward historic preservation and exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

There are lots of wonderful hotels in S.A.. But staying at this hotel is an experience that is not for everyone. It is one of the oldest hotels in Texas and keep that in mind. This hotel would not appeal to me if it was completely updated. I understand other reviewers are talking about...but when I go on vacation I want to stay somewhere I could not find anywhere else. If your are looking for a mini fridge, and the newest modern decor, and a big screen tv. This is not the place for you. I have that at home. I personally dont want it on vacation. I dont use the internet or watch tv on vacation. I read some of the reviews and had to add my thoughts. As for me and my family we had a blast. We stayied in room 1432 , in August 2014 and had no issues. The only criticism is the grout in the bathroom could use a better scrub, and a cleaning product used in the elevator was a bit strong in smell, made me sneeze a lot.... But I knew it was clean. Or lol it could be a ghost as we would joke. ....it would be perfect other wise. We didn't mind the vintage decor, our room was clean, and we even ordered a roll away bed and we were pleased. It was so much better than roll a ways we have seen before. It was 3 days of fun and we walked almost every where and the price was very reasonable we shopped and compared. The room was cozy but even with a roll away bed we had plenty of room. To walk and the kids to play. We went during a kids celebratation and got free tickets to the zoo which my kids loved.

I hear lots of folks complaining about vallet. But we have visited before and found the vallete is such a vacation luxury we adore. With 3 kids it is wonderful to call ahead and just hop in the car a.c. is on and it is cold...was amazing. So hassle free. Also if you dont stay in a riverwalk hotel you will have to pay parking and find a spot on the Riverwalk. Or hassle with transportation. For us we budget for vallet. If we didn't have kids we may not care. So easy peezy...i am not a fan of going to get in a hot car in august texas heat.

My teen and 7 year old loved all of the history and did lots of touring the hotel. We don't believe in ghosts and didn't have any experience. But my kids really learned so much on their own and it they will remember this hotel for years to come. Unlike a cookie cutter hotel elsewhere. Even on the 4 hour drive home my teen was telling me interesting facts about the hotel. That is for me what a vacation is about.

• Stayed August 2014
When a guest takes the time to share their experience with Trip Advisor it is always appreciated.
At fist I had to wonder if you had the wrong hotel because we don't have a room number 1432 but as I read your comments i regained reassurance that everything else you described fit the description of the beautiful Historic Menger Hotel.

I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as our goal is to have every guest leave with fond memories. We are pleased to learn that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The location of the Menger Hotel is tough to beat if you are a tourist in San Antonio. Directly across the street from the Alamo, close to the Riverwalk and shopping. We enjoyed the historic value of this property and were willing to sacrifice a little comfort and put up with the relatively smallish rooms. The pool was a nice feature. If the walls could talk, the stories they'd tell...

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.
It is rewarding when our guests recognize our efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction and historic preservation.

I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

We look forward to your return.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Good value, clean, nice sized room, lovely complimentary coffee. Next to the Alamo and the river walk. Only complaint was that the bar was very expensive but worth seeing all the taxidermy. Hotel has lots of interesting things to see.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experience of your stay over at the Historic Menger Hotel.

We are proud to be the proud neighbors of the Historic Alamo and other historic treasures in downtown San Antonio. It is always a pleasure when our guests recognize our efforts as it is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to downtown San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

best regards,
General Manger

Been to Menger Hotel? Share your experiences!