“Cool hotel in very hot city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Palacio del Rio

Save Saved
You added Hilton Palacio del Rio to your Saves list
Hilton Palacio del Rio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 South Alamo Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HHonors Weekend
Ranked #25 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Babylon, New York
“Cool hotel in very hot city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Being in the city over Labor Day weekend for a convention, I chose this hotel (over the ‘official’ convention choices) because of other glowing reviews, and it lived up to – and actually exceeded – my expectations. From the registration desk through the main floor hallway to the ‘Rincon Alegre Lobby Bar’, the décor was a perfect blend of Spanish and the southwest, with brightly colored artwork on the walls reflecting that theme. Check-in was quick and efficient. My room was on the 18th floor, one of those designated for ‘Honors’ guests, on the side of the building overlooking the convention center, facing the Tower of the Americas, two Marriotts and the Rivercenter Mall; upgrading to the other side with a view of the city and (to an extent) the Riverwalk itself was prohibitively expensive.
My next pleasant surprise was the elevator call touch-pad (ok, I like tech stuff). No up or down button, but an iPad style touch screen which lit up when it detected motion near it, and displayed the floor numbers. After touching the desired floor, the screen then displayed the elevator cab ID (A through D), along with both visual (arrow) and verbal cues to the cab. Inside the cab, there were no floor buttons – ignore the touch screen and get in the wrong elevator, and you went where it, not you, intended. In my six nights, even with a fairly large number of guests on Saturday, this computerized system only twice had as many as two stops between the lobby and my floor – amazingly efficient! As for other unexpected tech, the guest computers tucked away in the corner of the lobby were Macs.
Aside from the positive reviews, one of the things which had attracted me to the hotel was that every room had its own private balcony, and though each was comfortably sized and provided with a table and chairs, I spent brief minutes on mine, for a photo op only, because the daytime temperature each day was within a degree or two of 100F, with humidity. San Antonio in August is not outdoor weather except perhaps for inhabitants of the sunny side of Mercury! I should note that the hotel does have a pool – outdoors – though I had trouble imagining its use when the sun was on it!
My room was reasonably sized, especially for a downtown city hotel, and its décor was as pleasing as the lobby and main floor areas. The room had a flat-screen TV, and a mini-fridge, which – given the unused lock on its door - appeared to have once been a mini-bar. I was able to fit 5 quarts of Gatorade and another 20 oz beverage in it, but I’d been warned that it was not cold enough for medicinal (or, uh, ice cream, sigh) storage. I also appreciated the high-intensity reading lamp for each of the room’s two beds, the motion-activated light in the closet which provided an automatic soft illumination upon entry or late-night bathroom visits, and the mini safe in the closet (big enough for a small camera and accessories, for instance)
I had breakfast each morning at the hotel’s River’s Edge Café, the only hotel restaurant I visited (with the convention, I was out of the hotel from breakfast till late night). The Café is directly on the Riverwalk, and at 8AM each morning, I was able to sit window-side (inside!) to that scenic waterway (there were tables outside directly beside the water, but even at my early hour, the outside climate was sweat-inducing). There’s both a menu and a buffet, neither inexpensive; the latter was my daily choice for the enormous variety of food. I love pancakes for breakfast, and though they are on the menu, they only once appeared at the buffet – but amazingly, I was able to ask for them directly, and I got personal freshly made pancakes each morning as part of my buffet. I should note that without exception, the wait staff was friendly, efficient and attentive, even offering me a ‘to go’ coffee each day when I’d finished eating.
The hotel, as I’ve indicated, is on the Riverwalk, and one could leave the Café and directly start a leisurely stroll along the waterway – though even at 9AM after breakfast, it was sweat inducing (note my ‘not in summer’ theme?). The hotel is directly across from the convention center, and a fairly short walk SE to HemisFair Park and the Tower of the Americas, and NE to the Rivercenter Mall, where one can find numerous restaurants and retail shops, a multiplex movie theater and IMAX; the Alamo is just beyond the mall. Of course, the entire length of the Riverwalk is lined with restaurants, and (summer note especially) both a Haagen-Dazs and Ben&Jerry’s.
My friends were staying in other major hotels in the immediate area, and though their lobbies were ‘grander’, this Hilton looked and felt warmer and more intimate. I was thoroughly pleased. (Apologies - 'added' photos in review sequence but TA apparently likes to rearrange things)

Room Tip: One side overlooks convention center and faces Tower of the Americas, the other side faces the city.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

1,104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Zákynthos, Zakinthos, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I came to the hilton for pleasure and celebrate my birthday with my daughter. our stay was wounderful starting at check in with the bellman I had Prisilla and Philip from front desk that was very helpful when i had problems loging in on the internet. I want to mention the great service that i had also from room service with Hortencia, Martin, Pilar and Yolanda they where very happy nice and very attentive very above and beyon with the service i had with all the staff in this hotel thanks also to Michelle and Pat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Rohnert Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Can't say enough nice things about the hotel and staff, especially Ashley in group sales. There were thirty-two in our party, and no complaints. It was obvious that the hotel and restaurant staff worked very hard to make our stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My daughter recently got married in downtown San Antonio and we held the wedding reception at Hilton Palacio del Rio. The ballroom on the 22nd floor overlooked downtown and was the perfect setting for this very special event. The attention and detail given to the reception was amazing and both my daughter and her husband were overwhelmed. The room was beautiful and set exactly as we had planned. It was the perfect size for 170 people. The food was excellent and was served at the perfect time since the the preset timeline we submitted got pushed back. CW Jones, Roberto Cruz the banquet staff adjusted to our needs and made it all work without a hitch. We had many guests tell us this was the most elegant wedding they had ever attended, which was exactly what my daughter wanted. It was a fairy-tale evening - thanks to Nikki and April for making this such a memorable evening for our family. And, our guests staying at the hotel said there rooms were beautiful. It is obvious the hotel has spent alot of time and attention to detail on the renovation they just completed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gilroy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First impression upon arrival, met Juan Carlos Luna, parking attendant, who was kind, courteous and informative regarding questions for the surrounding area. Stay was related to a National Conference, entire Staff, rooms, location to the fantastic Riverwalk, everything was Top Shelf. I will return and recommend to Family and Friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Zeeland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel was a great place to stay along the river walk, in downtown San Antonio. The room was very clean. I enjoyed sitting out on my balcony. If/when I return to San Antonio, I will assuredly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Great rooms. Nice view if the river. The breakfast buffet has all the things you want and then some. Attentive but not "hovering" service. Sheila in Tex's Sports bar is top notch. She was friendly and remembers her guests from day to day. Pilar in room service was professional and helpful. Quick service and really made us feel like valued guests. What a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Hilton Palacio del Rio? Share your experiences!