“Best muffins!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Palacio del Rio

Booking.com Expedia.com
Hilton Palacio del Rio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 South Alamo Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HHonors Weekend
Ranked #25 of 347 hotels in San Antonio
Brentwood, Tennessee
“Best muffins!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The breakfast muffins were wonderful. I was blown away by the chocolate, banana nut and bran muffins. The chef manages to make the muffin tops very crisp but keeps the centers light and fluffy. I couldn't get enough of them! The wait staff in the downstairs restaurant were lots of fun. When I complimented the muffins, they brought the chef out to meet me and he told me how I could make them. That was really nice!

Room Tip: My river side and high room offered great views and was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

1,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Loved the location if you are running in the Rock n Roll Marathon and 1/2 for 2013. I was across the street from my starting corral which meant I could use the amenities of the hotel room right up to the start time. I also was amazed that after finishing the 1/2 and walking a quick walk back to the Hotel, the streets were clear and there were no obstacles to leaving the Hotel. The new elevators are cool, the room renovations are nice: our room was clean and comfy. The downsides sound a little nit-picky: our toilet rocked, our shower leaked onto the floors, and the noise level from adjacent rooms and the hallway was a little loud. Also the bar downstairs was definately an afterthought. Access to the riverwalk can be made by elevator, but other than that is a lot of narrow stairs. Overall a nice stay for a mid-priced hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to see the race start line request room looking towards the Alamo dome rather than the R...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Hilton for a conference. What a great location. Staff more more than friendly. Had an issue with the television, called front desk, maintenance to our room in 5 minutes, nice gentleman and TV fixed!!!
Would definitely return for a vacation:)

• Stayed October 2012
Okinawa-shi, Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Nice hotel that met and exceeded travel needs. I was staying as a convenient location for running in marathon. My starting point/corral was located right across the street near the same location for the expo to pick up my running bib and swag. The hotel itself was still under renovation; primarily the restaurant area but they still had room service and breakfast Buffett capability. I had the traveler's delight deal that covered breakfast for two, valet parking, and Internet--a good deal for me! They also had a nice and comfortable bar area with big screen to catch the game. The room was good size and the bathroom looked recently renovated--nicely done. Surprising, we were above Nelly's bar but as it got late the noise level was reduced somehow...I say this as I could hear the crowd earlier in the night but they must have moved indoors to reduce the noise or we could have just got lucky as it quieted down. The elevators had a new twist with picking the floor in the hallway display screen then you were informed on the screen what elevator to get on...worked well enough but had to pay attention as you could not select a floor from inside the elevator. We got lucky on the valet with it only taking 15 minutes (or less) to get our car when we checked out of the hotel. Overall a very nice weekend stay!

Room Tip: Lower floor might be funnier if you want to hang out on the balcony...I get a bit of vertigo at heig...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here with my family while in town for the Rock and Roll San Antonio Marathon weekend. The location is great as long as you are not trying to check in while thousands are coming into town for packet pick-up at the convention center!

The hotel is right in the heart of down town and right on the riverwalk. There is plenty to do real close. The do have valet parking which we used. I am not sure where you park if doing it on your own.

The elevators here are great. They are setup so you press your floor and it organizes which elevators are going to which floors. So you are not always waiting as the elevator goes to a bunch of different floors. Great idea!

The rooms were nice here. We only had one complaint....no microwave. We brought food with us for race morning and had to go searching for a way to heat it up. I would have thought all hotel rooms would have a microwave. Our kids ate the breakfast buffet here and said it was great.....loved the bacon!

We will definitely return to this hotel for it's location and ease of coming/going.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just stayed at this hotel over Veteran's Day weekend 2012. Very clean, very friendly hotel across the street from the convention center, a few blocks from The Alamo, and right on the Riverwalk.

Interesting elevator system. The attendant did not tell us how to use these "high tech" elevators. After not figuring it out, a helpful guest explained it to us after watching me struggle for a bit. Basically you punch in your floor on the LCD keypad, which then tells you which elevator (A, B, C, or D) is yours. When the elevator comes, it goes straight to your floor. I suppose for all the trouble, it beats stopping on every floor.

Had the breakfast buffet... not bad. Friendly service.

The only drawback is parking... you either valet your car or park in the self parking lot 1.5 blocks away. Then again, all of downtown San Antonio is paid parking.

When I return to San Antonio, I would come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: No need to pay extra to get a room with a view... not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New Buffalo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is worth staying at. The employees were always friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean and updated. The elevator took some getting used to, but after a few days it was a great system.I think all hotels should use this technology.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for the great comments about your recent stay and interaction with our staff. We very much appreciate having you with us. We are the first hotel in town to install the PORT Destination elevator system... it was part of our $34 Million renovation. We are glad you liked it! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit San Antonio!

Been to Hilton Palacio del Rio? Share your experiences!