“Good overall with some minor downsides” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport

You added DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 NE Loop 410 (at McCullough), at McCullough, San Antonio, TX 78216   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #131 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fulton, New York
“Good overall with some minor downsides”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel is not near sights, but within walking distance to the North Star Mall. Chose this hotel for proximity to business dealings, otherwise would stay somewhere closer to more action.

Rooms are standard, but the one I received had a musty smell, as if the carpet had been wet and not dried out thoroughly. Requested a change, but was told the hotel was booked. Not sure if that was the case or not, since it didn't seem busy, but not a big deal. Staff was pleasant during all encounters.

Shuttle service is hit or miss. Called for a pickup as I disembarked the plane, hoping I would only have to wait 5 minutes or so. Ended up waiting about 15 minutes in the scorching heat. Driver was very friendly, and I got the feeling that he and any other driver are very overworked, in that he also shuttles people to the mall and other locations within a 2 mile distance. Waited about 20 minutes longer than the mall shuttle stated it was scheduled to depart, and another group waited even longer to get to where they were going. In my opinion, they'd be better served with another van and driver.

TGIFriday's is literally across the street, not much else within walking distance, other than the mall. Overall a fine choice for the area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Tavoluna, Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Dear Jennalulu,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We value your comments and will share with appropriate staff. Summer is a very busy time for us as our hotel can fill up Mon-Sun. Hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I stayed here for a few nights while traveling on business. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to my work location in northeast San Antonio, and because it's on a list of hotels that my employer requires me to choose from for business travel. Overall it's a nice hotel with typical amenities one would expect at a Doubletree.

Pros:
The hotel has a nice courtyard with lots of trees and a pool. Each room has a recycling basket. (First time I've ever seen that in a hotel.) The restaurant has a good breakfast buffet (not included in the rate) with bacon, sausage, made-to-order eggs, fruit, cereals, etc. Staff at the hotel and restaurant were friendly and provided good service.

Cons:
They offer a limited number (less than 20) of TV channels. My TV didn't work at all one morning. The room clock cannot be adjusted without a screwdriver. I've seen this in other Doubletrees, and it's annoying when the clock is incorrect. The hotel does not offer wireless internet, although high-speed wired internet is available for $10 per day.

I would stay at this hotel again when traveling to northeast San Antonio, mainly because it's the closest full-service hotel (that I can stay at) to my work location. Those wanting to visit downtown San Antonio should look elsewhere, unless convenient access to the airport is desired.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Tavoluna, Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Dear guest, Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the postive feedback you gave us and we are certainly aware and working on the constructive comments you also gave us. Hopefully we'll be your hotel of choice next time your travels bring you back to the "airport area" of San Antonio.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Enjoyed this hotel from the moment we walked in! Beautiful lobby, awesome, friendly staff. Our stay was 2 weeks long and we wish we could have stayed longer! Rooms were clean and spacious, nice beds and great views from every room of the beautiful courtyard where the pool is. No fridge in the rooms but you can get one from the front desk. Internet charge in your room of $9.95 per 24 hr period however there is free WIFI in the lobby. GREAT complimentary coffee in the morning in the lobby until 8:45am. There is a coffee maker in the room & a safe.

Location is awesome as there is TONS of shopping and LOTS of retaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Northstar Mall is located directly across the street. Free parking and lots of it at the hotel. Shuttle service to/from the airport 24/7. The pool are is gorgeous...very spanish style and well maintained. There is a business center located in the lobby area that has printers and 3 computers.

Would love to stay here again as it felt like being at home!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I travel to San Antonio frequently and stay at the Riverwalk I was very upset when I found out that my company had booked their event at the Doubletree by the airport
I was very surprise when I arrived and saw the beautiftul hacienda but even more with the friendly and caring staff, the banquet facility was and food was great ALL around GREAT all I can say is WOW and Im NOT going back to the riverwalk wait until you try their beds and have a warm cookie waiting for you

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. We value our guest feedback and share with staff. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I travel 3-4 days per week and this was my first visit to the Doubletree. I was pleasantly surprised at their wonderful customer service given the reviews I read prior to booking my room. I stayed here because my clients were close by and the free airport shuttle. Funny that the other review spoke unkindly of Natalie because she was the one that checked me in and she was great. Guess she must have been having a bad day the other time. What really blew me away was how beautiful this hotel is for an airport hotel. It looks like a resort in Mexico and I'll be sure to return here on my next trip to San Antonio.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

I booked a reservation for my daughter who's in the millitary. She had to stay 1 night in texas before going to Japan. When I booked on line I also called the hotel direct to get information on what was required for me to do since I was paying for her room, but she would be staying there. She said all that was needed was to book the room in her name and that she had to bring $25 dollars for a deposit for incidentals. When my daughter arrived not only would the not let her have the room but they went up on the price. They told her I had to fax a copy of my credit card to them. Which I could have done the day before if it was made known. They told her she did not quailfy for discount even though I checked the information with the attendant tthe day before. I she would not have shown up for her reservation they said they would have charged my card (with out a faxed copy), but they would not give her the room with me on the phone etc. They were not helpful with any suggestionsand the manager who had the power to overide some policies did nothing to offer help. Nice way to send a girl all alone in Texas by herself off to Japan.

• Stayed May 2009
Tavoluna, Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Dear Guest,

I am sorry for the missunderstanding you endured during your last visit. Many times these types of requests are to protect you, as our guest, from fraudulent charges as well as the hotel. In the future please be sure to contact the GM's office for these types of special situations. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and please thank your daugher for her service to our country.

All the best.
DALLAS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

There are many positives about the Doubletree San Antonio Airport, the beds, the food is excellent, parking convenient and a great location for my business. Unfortunately, even though the internet service is wired and is billed as an extra charge, it never worked during my stay. After at least 30 minutes troubleshooting on my own, I called tech support on the phone. The phone tech was very helpful, but could not resolve the problem after 30 minutes. An engineer brought a new modem and cable to the room and spent another 30 minutes attempting to resolve the problem to no avail. He told me he was going to check the server and contact me to resolve my problem. I never heard from the engineer again. By this point it was 11 PM and I gave up because I had a business appointment the next morning. In order to get my e-mail the next morning, I had to make a special trip to Barnes and Noble a mile away. Stay here if you get a good room rate and don't mind missing your e-mail or internet connection.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our hotel, location and amenities. Unfortunately internet access at times is difficult to reach and sometimes it is cables and wiring problem, sometimes server issues and sometimes firewall set-up. It is hard to tell what it may have been, however, I am sorry we did not point you to our business center which has 3 brand new PC's with great connection. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and hope next time you are in town we can have another opportunity to serve you.

Been to DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport? Share your experiences!