“Not likely to return” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport

You added DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 NE Loop 410 (at McCullough), at McCullough, San Antonio, TX 78216   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
North Star Mall Package
Ranked #134 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Not likely to return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I'm a Hilton Honors diamond member and I've stayed at several Doubletree hotels. I often prefer them over regular Hilton hotels for their charm and good service. This particular one in San Antonio fell short on both fronts.

The check-in experience was dreadful: The guy was supposedly assistant manager (according to his name tag), yet he was cold, careless and downright arrogant. I gave him my HHonors #, but it still didn't prompt him to even say welcome. I asked for a nice room and was interrupted with "all our rooms are nice" before I could continue to request one away from the noisy freeway. Got the keys and breakfast coupons, and I think he might have mumbled "have a nice day" before he yelled "can I help who's next" to the next person in line.

Hmm, okay. Went up to the room and found it to be right smack facing the freeway. The balcony doors couldn't close properly and the road noise was significant. Back down to the front desk where fortunately the "charismatic" assistant manager was busy doing something else. Another clerk switched my room to one at least facing an ugly - but quiet parking lot. Still, the balcony doors were in sad shape but since it was on the third floor security wasn't an issue.

My family and I enjoyed the hotel's unique architecture and its older charm. The breakfast was great, especially due to the hostess and waitress. Good food, too.

Upon checkout the next morning, I took time to fill out a survey card and dropped it in the box at the front desk - essentially recapping the poor check-in experience. Never heard back, so the arrogance probably extends above the fellow I dealt with. What a shame.

Room Tip: Stay away from freeway side. Consider getting a room facing the interior (pool area).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Please accept my apologies for the problems you had while checking in. I go through all of our guest comment cards and respond. I just went back through the cards from April and didn't locate one mentioning an Asst. mgr. I'm sorry you were treated so rudely. I review all comments from guest at our Daily Stand-up and will certainly cover your experience to insure it doesn't happen again. I have also had our Chief Engineer checking our balcony doors.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Broussard, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Loved my stay, cant wait to visit another Double Tree. Rooms were clean, Pool was clean, pool area was amazing. Staff were very friendly and very informative. Great Location. Parking was a little tight at night. And EXCELLENT COOKIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

bfleb433
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is quite nice and well maintained. The staff friendly and well trained. This is a good hotel. I am taking points off for road noise. Yes it is off 410 and some noise is to be expected. That said the roomwas far noisier than it should have been. Ask for a room in the back and away from 410.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the staff. It wasn't clear as to why you told the the room was noisy than normal. But I will be following up with my Front Office staff. You would expect a little airport noise, of which we are fortunate to have none!

We hope to see you again when you visit San Antonio!
Las Vegas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Unfortunatly we were not received with cheerful greetings. However, we did get other clerks that were outstanding. The room was so dusty, I had to dust myself because my husband have a condition that he cant tolorate much dust. The facuet in the bathroom was leaking the toilet was dirty and the bathroom floor was dirty. If the room was cleaned correctly I would have given it a very good rating. The decor of the room was wonderful and the cooling system worked very well!!! our view was beautiful so it was not a total wash out!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I reviewed your comments about the condition of your guest rooms at our morning Housekeeping meeting. The fact that our windows open can cause dust, that is is no excuse for the condition of the bathroom.

Hopefully the remainder of your stay was more pleasant.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice, clean and relatively cheap. Its located off a busy highway and close to the airport. There is a big mall on the other side of the highway with many other food options if you don't want to eat in the hotel. The hotel restaurant is good and has good and friendly service. Inside rooms facing the pool can be quieter but also lack a lot of natural light. Overall the Doubletree is a good hotel for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel was ideally situated for my trip, as I didn't need to be in the Downtown area.
For the price, it was a very comfortable hotel for my needs.
The hotel bar was a great place to grab a beer and catch up on some work (the WiFi extended down there), but the restaurant wasn't so great. Service in the restaurant was fine, but when I order a steak in Texaas, I am not often dissapointed, unfortunately this time, I was.

Room Tip: San Antonio has some excellent restaurants. The hotel Cascabel restaurant is not one of them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Avg hotel, not great not bad, convent , nice bar this little energy. I stay here as it is a good location to get to my clients. Carpeting is aging, pool is quite a delight. I fail to understand why the chain is so excited about the free chocolate chip cookie. It's good, but not there reason for being or to cause me to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Our signature chocolate chip cookies is not to be considered a bribe, but an reward or treat after a long day of travelling. I hope you enjoyed it. I apologize that you found the hotel not to your liking and considered us "mediocre". True, not everyone likes the older style architecture, but my staff and I do our best everyday to provide good service to our guests, including our warm chocolate chip cookie. We also offer a green apple at check-in if you would prefer a healther option. I hope you will give us another opportunity the next time you visit San Antonio.

Been to DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport? Share your experiences!