“Peculiar issue in the room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 NE Loop 410 (at McCullough), at McCullough, San Antonio, TX 78216   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #141 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Peculiar issue in the room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our room on the 5th floor was clean, the beds were comfortable and included 2 double beds, a ref. and microwave oven. The hotel design is different to most other hotels I stayed at and has a spanish era design and feel to it which is nice.

CONS:
There was a looong corridor leading to the room and the corridors are a) not well lit and b)the carpets were stained and food left on the corridors waiting to be picked up by room service. The rooms itself was well lit and clean however the next day we woke up to see ants all over the room table around a spoon we'd left there.
Even after clearing that we had a constant battle with the ants while having breakfast on the table, constantly having to blow them off. I'm glad I only had to stay for 1 night.

The staff were very kind and let us use the $5 internet for free and assisted in everyway but because of the short stay I didn't bother asking for a room change.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Mr. "T"

My apologies for the problems you and your family had during your recent stay with us. The problem was noted on our MOD log and we put were able to put the room out of order in have it treated for the ants. It seems on the rare occasion that it gets colder here the ants appear. I'm grateful to you for letting us know and trust you were able to relax and enjoy the rest of your short stay.

Happy travels!

446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for the first time for a conference and found the hotel to be excellent. The staff made my stay wonderful. They are very helpful and always friendly and professional. The free shuttle to surrounding areas was super helpful due to my lack of a vehicle and the drivers were always accommodating and friendly. I think that the staff makes this hotel one step above all the rest. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully manicured and well kept. The rooms are also lovely and very comfortable. It was great having the fridge and microwave in the room and I also enjoyed having a coffee maker, although I would have liked it to be a regular size. I did read a review on here about seeing some roaches, and I too saw some outside the hotel and in the pool area, but that cannot be blamed on the hotel. The bar staff was great and the drinks were well made. The pool area was very inviting and it was nice to just sit and have a cocktail out there. There was some construction going on but I was in no way disturbed by it, and it’s nice to see a hotel renovating and updating as they were.

One gripe I have, which cannot really be blamed on the hotel was that during my stay there was a large group of high-schoolers on some band trip. They were terribly loud and rude and a friend even had a scary encounter with one of those children trying to push his way into her room. I think that the hotel could better regulate stays like these by pursuing some sort of agreement with large groups about noise and disruptions of other guests. I breathed a sigh of relief when the band group departed.

Overall, I would highly recommend any one who is in San Antonio to stay at the Double Tree, it was a fantastic experience. And because I will be back again soon for conferences, I have peace of mind knowing I will be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have been staying at this property for the last 6+ years and have watched it steadily go down hill each year. It is at the point where it needs a renovation in the worst way. The housekeeping department needs to be re-trained as well. The last few stays, I have arrived at the room to find it dirty and disgusting. The restaurant isn't any better, in fact I am at the point where I no longer eat in there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cathy Y, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
Our hotel has this year renovated the guest rooms to include new carpeting,
new furniture, new televisions and upgraded television selections. We have also
installed new pool furniture, all new business center equipment and soon will
be installing all new fitness center equipment. I will pass on your review to our
housekeeping team and restaurant team. We strive for cleanliness in all areas,
but it appears that we fell short of your expectations. I hope that you will allow
us the chance to improve and stay with us again.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that
the remainder of your trip to San Antonio was most enjoyable.
Alpine, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here on business for a few nights. It is an older but well kept hotel. Elegant large lobby with nice seating areas and fountain. There is a restaurant and full bar. They do offer delicious warm cookies upon check-in (and at other times upon request). Each room gets a morning paper (USA Today) and the WSJ is available in the lobby. There is in-room coffee with the single serve brewing machine which is nice. There are no complimentary breakfast foods as they want you to eat in their restaurant. The hotel is located near the airport and North Star Mall and there are other shopping and dining options close by. They do offer a shuttle. In the center of the hotel is a large attractive pool and hot tub. The pool area is attractive as a sitting area. Many of the interior rooms overlook the pool. Some things that could be improved include not charging for in-room internet at $5.00 a day. That is ridiculous this day and age. I did not know this at first and when I tried to gain online access it said to pay. I then read in the fine print that you can sign up with their hotel honors club and gain free wi-fi, but the clerk I inquired with did not tell me this. He kept saying I could either pay or use the public wi-fi in the lobby. Only when pressed about joining the Honors Club did he admit that it was one way to gain free internet in the rooms. A hotel of this quality should not be charging for internet. They also charge $1.00 for local calls which is a bit much and a bit embarrassing for a hotel of this caliber. Also, when I checked in I asked for a room with a balcony however they wanted a significantly higher rate which was sad considering I was there several nights in the middle of the week. And as some other reviews stated the bathrooms are small by today's standards but that didnt bother me. What did bother me was the long hairs on the bathroom floor that were never cleaned up during my entire stay. Yuk. The bathroom door had old splatter stains from who knows what. I had also reserved a King room online, but that was not available to me upon check-in, a disappointment. And like other reviews state some of the outer rooms can be a long long walk from the elevator. For older folks or those who cant walk far this could be an issue. On my last night there I had significant noise from the bar until late. I think that had more to do with the architecture carrying sounds than an actual large rowdy group. Overall a disappointment for a Hilton. They can do better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during your recent stay at the hotel. I'm not sure which guest service person you spoke with regarding WiFi, but I just posted your review one their board so that the next time someone asks they will get the correct information. We do provide complimentary internet to all our Hilton Honors guests. This review was also shared with our Room attendants in relation to the condition of your guest bath. It is true that we charge addtionally for Courtyard rooms as they are the most in demand. Hopefully you will allow us to host you during your next visit to San Antonio and you will register for Hilton Honors, there are many rewards other than complimentary WiFi. I appreciate your comments, without feedback from our guests we would be unable to correct our mistakes.

Regards,

Julie Robey
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am normally not one to write a review but I feel I needed to share my experience with this hotel. The first night, I walk into the room and do a quick inspection of the room. From the quick survey, I noticed most everything was in order and clean. I walked around near the far window and noticed a roach, face up, dead on the carpet. I immediately contact the front desk and they offer to move me to a different room. Of course, I take the new room (no upgrade, a simple lateral switch). As I take the stairs to the new room, what do I see again? Another face up roach! This place is infested!

This problem should be fixed immediately. There is no excuse (rain, "the south", humidity) for roaches.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Please accept my apologies, we take all reports of "bugs" seriously here. Unfortunately you stayed after San Antonio had rain the entire weekend for the first time in weeks. Due to our Courtyard which has dirt, bushes, and trees, we do on occasion have roaches, water bugs, moths, and I even saw a geico climbing a tree once. I do know what room you were in since it was reported on our MOD report and the next day we had our extermintor come and treat that room and those surrounding. I'm sorry you got such a bad impression of the hotel and hope you will give you another chance when you visit San Antonio again.
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed over early September for a family funeral. The hotel is very large and the grounds are beautiful! Upon check-in, I was greeted by a very friendly associate, immediately handed 4 warm cookies for my family and I, and recognized for my HHonors status. Check-in was a breeze. Our room entrance overlooked the inner courtyard, pool, and spa. Sadly, we came back too late from the visitation to enjoy the pool, and had to leave early in the morning for the procession. The room itself was nice. The hotel appears dated (older elevators, building itself, stone walls in the rooms), but these things did not detract from our experience. It is obvious that the staff do an excellent job keeping and older building filled with newer renovations. The only downside my family could find was the room entrance itself. The door and front wall are made of glass with a privacy curtain. As we were expecting to be gone most of the evening, it was a little difficult drawing the curtains behind us as we left so nobody could see into our room, and the same process with removing the curtains when we returned. Had I been traveling alone, this would not be a problem, as I trust the hotel with my security. My family, however, does not travel as much as I. We ate in the restaurant then next morning. The buffet was nice and fully stocked when we arrived. I did realize at that time, however, that I did not receive my breakfast vouchers at check in. Since it was early and we were in a rush to leave, I didn't think much of it. It wasn't that big of a deal. It was a very nice experience, and I had a good nights sleep, which is all that mattered on this trip

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for a baseball tournament along with other members of the team. I travelled with my husband and 3 teenagers. The double beds are small and no rollaway was available for our double room because of fire hazard. I wish another option would have been offered to us at check in so we would have been a little less cramped. However, room was comfortable and clean, staff was friendly. Kids were happy. Good stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport? Share your experiences!