“ROACHES!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 NE Loop 410 (at McCullough), at McCullough, San Antonio, TX 78216   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #135 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“ROACHES!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am normally not one to write a review but I feel I needed to share my experience with this hotel. The first night, I walk into the room and do a quick inspection of the room. From the quick survey, I noticed most everything was in order and clean. I walked around near the far window and noticed a roach, face up, dead on the carpet. I immediately contact the front desk and they offer to move me to a different room. Of course, I take the new room (no upgrade, a simple lateral switch). As I take the stairs to the new room, what do I see again? Another face up roach! This place is infested!

This problem should be fixed immediately. There is no excuse (rain, "the south", humidity) for roaches.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Please accept my apologies, we take all reports of "bugs" seriously here. Unfortunately you stayed after San Antonio had rain the entire weekend for the first time in weeks. Due to our Courtyard which has dirt, bushes, and trees, we do on occasion have roaches, water bugs, moths, and I even saw a geico climbing a tree once. I do know what room you were in since it was reported on our MOD report and the next day we had our extermintor come and treat that room and those surrounding. I'm sorry you got such a bad impression of the hotel and hope you will give you another chance when you visit San Antonio again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed over early September for a family funeral. The hotel is very large and the grounds are beautiful! Upon check-in, I was greeted by a very friendly associate, immediately handed 4 warm cookies for my family and I, and recognized for my HHonors status. Check-in was a breeze. Our room entrance overlooked the inner courtyard, pool, and spa. Sadly, we came back too late from the visitation to enjoy the pool, and had to leave early in the morning for the procession. The room itself was nice. The hotel appears dated (older elevators, building itself, stone walls in the rooms), but these things did not detract from our experience. It is obvious that the staff do an excellent job keeping and older building filled with newer renovations. The only downside my family could find was the room entrance itself. The door and front wall are made of glass with a privacy curtain. As we were expecting to be gone most of the evening, it was a little difficult drawing the curtains behind us as we left so nobody could see into our room, and the same process with removing the curtains when we returned. Had I been traveling alone, this would not be a problem, as I trust the hotel with my security. My family, however, does not travel as much as I. We ate in the restaurant then next morning. The buffet was nice and fully stocked when we arrived. I did realize at that time, however, that I did not receive my breakfast vouchers at check in. Since it was early and we were in a rush to leave, I didn't think much of it. It wasn't that big of a deal. It was a very nice experience, and I had a good nights sleep, which is all that mattered on this trip

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for a baseball tournament along with other members of the team. I travelled with my husband and 3 teenagers. The double beds are small and no rollaway was available for our double room because of fire hazard. I wish another option would have been offered to us at check in so we would have been a little less cramped. However, room was comfortable and clean, staff was friendly. Kids were happy. Good stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here with friends for a weekend during a convention, and we had no problems. There is a free shuttle available to and from the airport. You are given complimentary cookies and water once you are picked up. I loved the cookies so much I would call the front desk and ask for more with no problems. Checking in was a breeze, and the wonderful woman at the front desk who helped me made me feel so welcome. Our room was clean and the only problem we had was the bathroom sink not draining properly, but that was quickly fixed. The bar is a good place if you just want to sit and have a drink without any noise. Whoever the bartender was the Saturday night we stayed there was awesome! The hotel does seem a little dark and outdated in the hallways but who cares. I didn't have any surprises at check out. If I need to stay in this part of San Antonio again I would consider this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thanks for the great review of our staff! I'll be sharing with them and buying them dinner tonight!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Doubletree San Antonio Airport from the 21st to the 23rd of August. Had a little rough time checking in as we pulled up to the drive and the bellman was short with me and told me to move my vehicle so the shuttle van could park on the drive. Checked in and went to our room. Overall the beds were more comfortable compared to the other Doubletree downtown. The room had that hotel smell consistent with older hotels. Went to the pool and hot tub for a swim. We had a little trouble locating towels to dry off with and asked a staff member who kindly showed us where they were. He noticed there was only one towel left and said he would return with more which never happened. We ended up sharing a towel to dry off with. Went back up to the room and started watching tv. I had noticed the HD channels were not working and requested someone to take a look at it. Come to find out the tv was bad and they switched it out for another one. The next day we had issues with the toilet taking too long to fill up and the sink draining too slow. Reported it to the front desk who promptly reported it to the maintenance staff to fix. The front desk agent profusely apologized and offered to assign us a different room. I respectfully declined as we were already settled into the room and didn't want the hassle of moving. I was offered a comp voucher for breakfast which was really nice of the agent. Overall the front desk staff was wonderful (day shift). I loved the charm of the hotel with the Spanish flavor and wonderful courtyard. I do feel the hotel is in need of a refresh as it is showing some signs of age. Try the breakfast buffet and their omlets. The wait staff was wonderful and very accommodating. I would have no problems with staying here again. Thanks to the staff and their efforts to resolve situations and making a guest feel welcome(front desk day shift and restaurant staff).

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here on our way out of town... we had a 7 AM flight out of San Antonio airport, and this place was perfect. The front desk was friendly, rooms were clean, lobby was very nice, and the shuttle driver gave us great directions to the rental car return. We were very pleased with our stay.
The only downside was the distance from the elevators to our room... we had a lot of luggage we had to organize for our trip home, so everything had to come up to the room from the car. It was a bit of a hike from the elevators.

Room Tip: Get a room near the elevators if you have a lot of luggage!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

A little over priced due to the goings on in town this weekend, overall, a very nice hotel. Will stall here again if I need to, but will make sure to book in advance. As always, I was greeted with the standard warm Double Tree cookie, but, because of my"rewards status", I was also given two bottles of water. The bottles normally run $2.25. A little pricey for water, so be prepared.

• Stayed August 2012
Julie R, General Manager at DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for you great rating of the hotel. I'm not sure where you found the price of water at $2.25, perhaps it was the vending machine, but those bottles of water are the 20oz Dasani's. The same price as all of the hotels in our area. Don't worry, if you ask the Front Desk for another one, they would gladly give you another!

Been to DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport? Share your experiences!