“Worst Doubletree I've Ever Stayed In” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 NE Loop 410 (at McCullough), at McCullough, San Antonio, TX 78216   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #140 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Worst Doubletree I've Ever Stayed In”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I normally love Doubletree hotels. I especially enjoy the nice comfy beds. However, this hotel leaves A LOT to be desired. It does not live up to the Doubletree name. If anything - it's an oversized motel.

The positives...
+ It has a pool
+ The staff is VERY nice and courteous! I can't say enough about that staff... they were the only thing that really made the stay worthwhile.
+ Comfortable bed. Although, if a Doubletree doesn't have a nice bed... then it must not be a Doubletree. :)
+ The restaurant has YUMMY food
!

The negatives...
- The hotel and rooms REALLLLLLLLY show their age.
- The bathroom is TINY. The door opens inward into the the bathroom... and with the bathroom being so small, it cover 1/2 the damn room!
- There is NO vent in the bathroom, so the ceiling beads with condensation from the shower.
- The plumbing SUCKS. The tub doesnt drain; the sink drains slowly... I brought this up to maintenance - it's normal they say!
- There appeared to be mold of some sort around the walls/ceiling of the bathroom. WTF. I'll post pics soon. I'm still in the hotel until the end of next week... great.
- The door leading to the tiny balcony remains cracked open even though I have it locked... wow.
- There are random small holes in the walls of the room.. like they removed nails and never patched the walls. The painting of the room looks like a 12y/o was hired to do the job.

In summary, I would absolutely NEVER stay here again. I love Doubletrees - and this should NOT have the Doubletree name!! This is a 2 1/2 star hotel at best.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I really liked the property but wished it was closer to Riverwalk. This was my first time in San Antonio and I did like the spacious rooms, the great customer service, and wonderful bar and restaurant. I was visiting on business but would certainly not mind coming back again. I will definitely be coming back to visit the Riverwalk area as I didn't have much time to do so and will stay closer to that area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Good location off of I-410 North @ McCollough. Adjacent to a shopping center with fast food offerings and across the interstate from a mall. Ample parking for all guests.

The rooms are undergoing renovations being updated with improved bedding, down comforters, safe, hair-dryer, mini-fridges, and microwaves in the rooms. The towels are heavy (~ 8 lbs) cotton and super absorbent.

A/c kept the room refreshing despite the late summer heat for which SA is known (~ 101*). Comfortable overstuffed chair and separate writing desk / chair. Enhanced cable tv with plenty of offerings.

A few minor detractions: the bathtub drains slowly; the shower head is a little low for a 6' person; the wallpaper in the bathroom was tattered and peeling at the edges / seems; no vent fan to remove excess moisture in the bathroom.

Overall the bathroom is a little small as the door will take off the kneecaps of anyone using the toilet and the bowed shower curtain is moved significantly inside the shower, to allow the door to open fully. Plenty of sink space for personal items and/or convenient storage space below the marble counter-top.

Yes, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I remember when this was La Mansion - one of the better hotels in San Antonio. It is now a Doubletree and I would definitely go back if I had business close to this area - or even if I just wanted to get away for a day or two. The location is great for shopping and easy access to the rest of San Antonio. I loved the old-world Spanish charm throughout the hotel. While I didn't use the pool/hot tub area, it looked very nice, if smallish. I did have a decent meal at a really good price in the bar Cascabel (sp?). Again, loved the relaxed, but elegant look of the dark wood, Austin stone with Spanish touches. This isn't a resort, but a nice place to stay at a great price (my travel coordinator did priceline and it was $70 I think).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Laredo, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

The room rate was a really good price. The room itself is OK, needs updating. The AC couldn't keep the room cool and you couldn't adjust it any lower. There is a charge for internet in the rooms....seriously who charges for internet? Only some guests receive free breakfast and the pool area is nice.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This hotel is convenient to the airport, and there's a big mall across the highway, which can be crossed over a bridge on foot if you're willing to brave the horrible traffic. Be careful. Cross the less busy street to the west for access to a wide variety of restaurants and stores. But why leave the hotel? It's a great place. The staff at the front desk, bellmen, waiters, waitresses, lounge attendants, housekeeping, are always helpful, friendly and efficient. I avoided the pool area because of the weekend crowd, but the fitness center is nice, if a little bit cramped. I feel obligated to warn readers to avoid the pool-side elevator on the north edge of the pool. It'll give you a slow-baking sauna ride in the summer. Wireless internet works only in or near the lobby. The restaurant serves up a great breakfast buffet. Shuttle to the airport runs every half hour and seems very efficient and timely. I've stayed in some other hotels around the airport, and I like this one best.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet, a room on the far east side on the concierge floor will keep you away from the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on 7/15/11 for one night before a vacation flight. When we were ready to turn in for the night my wife turned down the covers and realized half the bed was wet. Yes, it was a urine soaked bed. We had both felt the bed before we realized it was urine. After we both ran to the bathroom to wash off I called the front desk. The guy told me to come down and get a new room key. He apologized, but nothing else...just gave me a new room. Never heard a word from management. My wife and I both touched a disgusting urine soaked bed and no measures from management were taken. I filled out these comments on the Hilton website and have heard nothing (I'm a Hilton Honors elite member). Needless to say I'll never stay in this disgusting place again, and after no response from Hilton I may never stay in any of their chains either.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree Hotel San Antonio Airport? Share your experiences!