“Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown

You added DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   502 West Cesar E. Chavez Blvd., San Antonio, TX 78207 (Formerly Radisson Hotel San Antonio Downtown Market Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #135 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for our 3 year anniversary. Good location to and from the River Walk. The hotel will shuttle you to and from the River Walk area but we walked one evening. Not very far to walk. Would stay again if in the area AND the cookies are great. You can have as many as you want.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor (6th) great room and view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We booked a room for one night for a quick weekend getaway. After spending the day at Sea World, we arrived at the hotel to check-in only to be standing their waiting for over 10 minutes with 2 very tired children. The lady at the desk then proceeded to check us in while talking on the phone. She barely said two words to us. Then she failed to give us our breakfast coupons (we booked a bed and breakfast rate since doubletree does not offer a complimentary breakfast), so we decided to ask the other front desk person, since he was not preoccupied talking on the phone. He gave us our breakfast coupons, but then, the kids asked where their cookies were. Even my 11 and 5 year old know that the Doubletree is supposed to give you cookies at check in. After getting our cookies, we proceeded to our room only to find that it was not the room we had booked. We booked suite dreams beds not select comfort, because of a prior experience with select comfort beds that did not work properly (at THIS hotel). We grabbed all of our stuff and proceeded back down to the check-in desk to point out to the manager that this was not the room that we had reserved. After about 20 minutes, he was able to get us into the room that we had confirmed on our reservation.

If not for all the trouble at the check in desk, I would have given this hotel a much better rating. The rooms are clean, and yes the bathroom door is a bit strange, just a sliding door, but it isn't the first hotel I have stayed in where the bathroom doesn't offer complete privacy. I really like the location, since it is in walking distance to the Mexican Market and it's restaurants (Yummmm....). And, if you want to go down to the riverwalk/Alamo, you can take the hotel shuttle down there at no charge, and don't have to pay for parking, which can be quite expensive depending on where you park. I suggest taking the shuttle down and walking back via Commerce street. Stop halfway at Jerry's Chicago style hot dogs and grab a hot dog, polish, or Italian Beef. Then walk down to the Mexican market and you can shop and eat your way through and still feel good when you make it back to the hotel. And, please don't eat at the hotel, (unless it's breakfast, which is OK, big selection, but remember it is a HOTEL breakfast-i.e. powdered eggs) there are so many wonderful places to eat in San Antonio.

Overall, I like this hotel, due to it's clean rooms and reasonable price. We have stayed here before and did not encounter the check in issues we had this time. I just wish they would improve and be consistent with their customer service.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Renovations going on which could be annoying. Bathroom door was on a track and designed not to fully close. We didn't like this feature for our family as there wasn't complete privacy.
When calling for the return shuttle back to the hotel around 9 pm...all we got was a recording. No answer!!! We had to get a different ride back which was inconvenient during our stay at that time.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I travel a lot for work and this hotel isn't the worst I've stayed in but it's not great. I waited 10 minutes just to check in and when I did, I was put into a room with two double beds and not a king. When I go to the front desk to switch the lady at the front desk informs me that the only king room available is a handicap room with no tub. Fine by me! I only use the shower. When I did shower I got water all over the floor. Oh and the low flow toilet ran all night so I doubt they are saving the environment.

The worst part of this room is that it was pretty dirty. The toilet had hard water stains on it which makes me wonder if it had been cleaned in a while. Also, I found a couple of hairs in the bed and the sheets were stained by someone's make up and what looks like blood or something. I'm thoroughly grossed out by this place. Spend a few extra bucks and stay some place else.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hyatt.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Conroe, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had the unfortunate experience of this hotel recently. I usually choose a closer hotel for an annual conference I attend, but couldn't get my usually wonderful reservations at other locations and made this one 2 weeks away from the event. At first the reservationist couldn't even find the event, which hosts between 20 and 50, 000 people listed in her directory. I chose the King room because my husband was getting a chance to stay with me this go round. He travels weekly and stays in hotels all over the continental US and he was underwhelmed as I was with this hotel. The cost, which is more than I like to spend almost stopped me, but I needed a room. The lady reserving assured me that it wasn't far from the convention center and a city trolley ran right in front of the hotel, so it would be easy to get to the convention. They stopped trolley service the week before our convention, which meant we had to use the shuttle. It could be a long wait, but we had driven, so my husband either went with me or dropped me off for my seminars. The room was very nice. We had a sleep number bed, which we are use to, so that part was comfortable. That's pretty much where it ends. We had a menu for breakfast in our room that said, put this out before 1am to receive your breakfast....it never got picked up, which we didn't discover until my husband opened the door that morning during our scheduled delivery time and found it where he left at 10pm the night before. He hurriedly went down to get something to eat and had to go the bar, where the bartender graciously took care of him and because the waitstaff was taking so long to fill our order (2 oatmeals, waters, butter, brown sugar, milk)he went and got it himself and gave it to him, no charge. Good thing.....every chewed oatmeal? Ever gotten "raw natural sugar" for brown sugar and chewed those crystals on your food? We didn't finish what I could only call "glop". We left app 8:30 am and when my husband returned, hurriedly at 4:00 pm after having had our car serviced, our room was still not made up. Now, he had seen the maids when he left our room at 8:30 working other rooms, so he placed the "please make-up now" sign on the door..you do the math....7 hours later and that is "now." We slept well that night, except that we weren't informed we were on the ambulance, fire truck route and so we heard sirens most of the night and we were on the 6th floor....we slept with the a/c/heater unit on because it drowned out most everything, including the TV volume when we were watching a show. The next morning, which was check-out for us we decided to try the restaurant for breakfast. It was a seat yourself type and then staff comes around. We opted for the overpriced buffet and also noticed our oatmeal was listed on the menu for ordering, as well as on the buffet. I looked at while in line and noticed it looked normal, not like the blob we received. And the "natural raw sugar" was out for brown sugar, again. I started with the fruit because it looked fresh (wrong) and went to scrambled eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes and a slice of toast. While I was getting my bread for the toast, I noticed in the plastic bin where the bagels were kept, a bagel with green spots on it......moldy....so I checked my bread and didn't find any. When I got back to my table, I left most of the "fresh" fruit because upon tasting realized the fruit was tart....all the fruit, including the melon, the strawberries, blueberries...the only tart that should have been was the pineapple, which I did eat some of. The potatoes which were cubed, you couldn't stab with a fork. I spoke with the supervisor on duty before I left and told her that for the prices they charge and the facility they have...these conditions were unacceptable. One last kicker....when we were leaving, my husband had gone to get the car and left me with the bags in the foyer. The front was so crowded with service trucks, he couldn't get the car close enough to the front to park and let me get to the car with the luggage rack....he parked, quickly in a spot outside....just as we were loading our bags, one of the "helpful" staff (who saw us loading and never raised a finger to help) came over and said, "yeh, you gotta move this thing cause my carpet truck needs to park here." Don't worry.....we won't be parking there again.

Room Tip: If you don't have to travel a lot in San Antonio and you eat elsewhere, possibly the 6th floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

So I usually write a lot about the hotel, the rooms, its location and all its facilities. However, in this situation what stands out is not the hotel but the staff They were very hospitable, welcoming and helpful. From the shuttle drivers (both of them were kind, patient and cooperative) to the housekeeping staff. I have a 18 month old kid who like other kids is very excitable and energetic but I did not get a single complain from any of the staff members further more they all tried their best to entertain her and make her feel as part of the family.

Room Tip: the parking garage is far from the rooms so park on the top level of the garage, this way you know e...
Hobart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

of course we love the cookies, and the hotel was outstanding. We finally got a free upgrade which had not happened to us in a long time and the room was spacious and clean. The bedding was great as well as all aspects concerning the room. They had a free shuttle that took us to the Hard Rock/Alamo and back (ran every half hour). They had a nice hot breakfast we were happy with. The staff was friendly and helpful, they even went out of their way to get me some milk to go with my cookies late one night. We have booked again and will be there in a couple of weeks and look forward to it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown? Share your experiences!