“Changed rooms 5 times” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Changed rooms 5 times”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here in mid August for a conference. Upon arrival our taxi was stopped by a man asking where the nearest gentleman's club is! In short this was one of worst Marriott I've ever had the unfortunate pleasure staying in. We changed rooms 5 times!
1st room- Had a great view. Turned on the water to the sink and water came gushing on to the floor.
2nd room - Had a big hole in the wall. Could see in the other room.
3rd room - Bedding was dirty and stained with some unspeakable stains. Tub was dirty and filled with hair. Room reeked of cigars and cigarettes.
4th room - Black mold was growing in the bathroom. Caused an allergic reaction. The hotel offered to clean this room while we were still in it! I advised them of the health risks associated with doing that.

We were moved to our final room and hotel offered access to the concierge room and a credit for our first night. We booked using Priceline.com who didn't seem concern about the condition of the hotel they refer people to.

Funny thing is my in-laws who came to visit switched from this hotel to a near by La Quinta Inn and their room was bigger and had FREE parking. The parking at the Marriott Plaza was $29 a day!

They are close to the Riverwalk which most people will enjoy. There are also some lovely homes in the area. They have a nice pool and fire pit. There are some peacocks walking the property as well.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. Try the Marriott Riverwalk or the LaQuinta Inn. Stay at your own risk and in...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for your experience. This is not the norm. We have a beautiful property and we take a lot of pride in creating the best experience. I do not have any details on your reservation since it is over Trip Advisor. If you could please contact me to discuss, so that I may research what happened and find some resolve.

This is not acceptable or up to neither my standards nor Marriott's. I appreciate you letting me know so that I may bring attention to this experience. As I said, this is so far from the norm at our hotel. We strive to make guests feel like this is a little oasis right outside of San Antonio.

I am so sorry to disappoint you in anyway and look forward to getting more details.

Thank you again for taking the time to make me aware.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here recently while on business. The hotel is clean, staff was attentive and helpful. The grounds and pool area are relaxing. There are also a few peacocks that walk around the courtyard. The bellmen are waiting curbside upon arrival and assist w/unloading/loading luggage from the car. The desk staff are eager to assist w/recommendations for dining and site seeing. Rooms are large w/comfortable beds. Fee for internet and parking is steep; both of which have daily fees. I chose to use wifi in the lobby and did not have a car on this trip.
The hotel is less than 5 minute walk to the shopping & dining at the Riverwalk area and 15 minute walk to the Alamo.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our hotel through Trip Advisor.

I am thrilled you had a great stay and loved the grounds. It is unique that we sit on 6.5 acres downtown and have such lush landscaping and even peacocks roaming those grounds. It is our little oasis. The greatest thing is that we are still close to all the attractions such as the Riverwalk, Alamo, etc... As you also mentioned.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and do hope we see you on your next visit to the San Antonio area. Thank you again for your feedback.

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotels definitely is, as another reviewer called it, a "hidden gem." I recently stayed here for a business meeting, and was so surprised that I couldn't help but submit a review.

This is not your typical Marriott by any stretch of the imagination. It is quiet, quaint and really beautiful. There are balconies with chairs and a table for every room. When was the last time I had windows I could open, much less a balcony??? There are peacocks roaming the grounds. There is a stunning pool area that I am absolutely bummed that I didn't get to enjoy during this stay. There were flavored ice water carafes in the lobby, and thick towels in the bathrooms.

Yes, it's an older property, but my room didn't feel "old." The TV is flat-screen, the desk was perfect for work, and the desk chair really comfortable. The bathrooms have marble counters and the bed was SO comfortable that I actually looked at how much it would cost to buy the same pillows and sheets (don't ask!). In addition, the staff is exceptional. Not just polite and nice, but genuinely kind. It felt very friendly and homey, and I absolutely loved my stay.

The meeting rooms are all in historic buildings scattered across the property. There are cobblestone walkways and a gazebo. It's really just very peaceful here. My only feedback on this property is that some of the spaces smelled a bit musty, but that's to be expected in historic buildings.

All in all, a lovely surprise. I will look for other reasons to come to San Antonio just to stay here again. Oh, and did I mention that it's within walking distance to Riverwalk? Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the pool area. the ones on the ground floor may get peacocks on the pati...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio! I am thrilled that you loved our Marriott property. It is so unique and embraces that San Antonio history and culture. Sitting on 6.5 acres with 3 historical houses on the grounds and the German school houses, is very extraordinary to us and I am glad you enjoyed the atmosphere.

Our goal here at the Marriott Plaza is to not only meet but exceed your expectations. Take our unique surrounding and make a lasting memory for our guests no matter what the reason for the visit. It is truly our pleasure to be of service and I am so pleased you had a wonderful stay.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! I hope to see you the next time you visit the San Antonio area.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised on our recent visit to San Antonio by the Marriot Plaza. We chose this hotel because we were meeting friends for the weekend and he was staying there for business. The hotel was lovely and the grounds were very pleasant. We really enjoyed the pool area. We were within easy walking distance from the Riverwalk area, La Vallita, and the Alamo. I have stayed in several of the "premium" hotels along the Riverwalk in past visits to San Antonio, and must say, this hotel was a nice alternative. The pool area was preferable to the other hotels and so was the price! The area was also quiet and relaxing. I wasn't particularly impressed with my breakfast in the dinning room. I ordered off of the menu. My husband chose the buffet and he enjoyed his breakfast. No Wi-Fi in the room and I thought the self parking @ 23.00/day was a little high, but I didn't compare with other hotel parking, so this may be the going rate. We will return again to the Marriott Plaza Hotel

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden view room, which was a little more expensive, but I think worth it. The cit...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Leslie M.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I was delighted to read you had a wonderful stay with us. We have a great location and I am happy that you enjoyed the amazing grounds.

With the internet, there is a charge at the Full Service hotels. However, we always offer complimentary internet in the lobby and in the business center. If you are a Gold or Platinum Rewards member with Marriott it is free as well at all Marriott's. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. Our goal is to always try to exceed our guest’s expectations and I am so happy that you discovered us. It was our pleasure to serve you. We hope to see you back the next time you visit San Antonio.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The staff at the hotel were fabulous. I was asked over 20 times a day if there was anything that they could do for me. I want to highlight one individual, a fabulous lady who is the Director of Sales who I encountered three times in the hotel lobby who went out of her way to assist me in even the smallest and obscure query always with a beaming smile.

The hotel needs to improve the television channels that it offers. It was below standards.

The charge for internet is a huge rip off.

The charges for parking were expensive also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Mr_Diveman,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your past visit to San Antonio! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and give your feedback.

There is a fee to use the internet in the guest room, as with the majority of full service branded hotels. However, we do offer free internet in our lobby and business center all the time. If you are a Gold or Platinum Marriott rewards member, you get free internet at Marriott properties as well.

I am thrilled to hear the service you received was amazing. From our associates to our wonderful Director of Sales; everyone was ready to serve. Our goal is to make sure every guest feels they are home. We are dedicated to ensuring our guests have an amazing experience. I do hope that overall you had a wonderful stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. I hope we see you back your next stay in San Antonio.

El Paso, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This one quite surprised me. Let me start by saying the room service meal I ordered was phenomenal. No complaints there at all. The room I had was not clean to the level I have come to find at Marriott. There was a hair in the bathroom. Bedding has seen better days. There was no remote in the room. I called for one and it took a second call 4 hours later to get it. I felt the charge for the internet was a tad high. I paid for two nights only to have it not working part of the second night and through the next morning. I tried to log on an ipad along with my laptop only to find out that both were going to be charged! No where does it state that the charge is per device. I have never stayed in a hotel where the charge was not by room but by device. Like I said.....not up to normal Marriott Standards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Lou R.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I read each review and take all feedback very seriously. I sincerely apologize that you had issues with the guest room and would like to get more information from you so that I can research with our Director of Housekeeping. This is very concerning since this is not the norm for our hotel. If you would contact me directly, I will be sure this is addressed.

I am pleased you had an excellent food and beverage experience with our room service. I will share your comments with our Chef and room service team.

I do thank you for your business and know you have many hotels to choose from. I thank you for your feedback and hope you reach out so I may get further details to address further.

I apologize to disappoint you in anyway and please know this will be addressed.

Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

It's a quiet place in downtown area, with walking distance to the River Walk and the Alamo. Great value when bidding on Priceline. Extra costs are quite high, but I used wifi in the lobby, didn't have breakfast at the hotel and I didn't drive - that made the life much easier. Actually, I don't know why one of my devices can access to the guestroom wifi without login.

The garden, the pool and the historic houses behind the hotel are gorgeous. These makes it stand out.

I don't understand why the bed in my room is a pull-out sofa bed. I confirmed with the front desk that I got a king bed room, but the size is similar to full size. Probably the receptionist allocated it to solo female customers. I don't mind sleeping on sofa bed, but I just think it's a little bit weird - the room is spacious, with 3 sofas but no bed, and, it cannot fit individuals taller than 5'5. I noticed not all rooms look like this. The room is not noisy. It's clean. The balcony looks nice, but the door to the balcony cannot be opened for security reasons. I hope I can sit in the balcony on cool nights, but it would probably make guests too intimate with their neighbors.

The staff are generally friendly, though it took me half an hour to get in my room (the key didn't work twice). Housekeeping staff knocked the door almost every hour on the morning I checked out. They always runs out of the drinking water at the lobby. There is no weight training facilities at the fitness center.

Overall, it's a nice place to stay at given its great location, decent facilities and clean rooms. Beautiful sceneries add extra points.

Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It sounds as if you were in one of our parlor rooms. We have two parlor rooms which have sofas in them. I apologize for any shock this may have given you. If you booked through a third party, it is booked into a general room selection and will not specify they room type until check in. I will be sure to share this feedback with our front office team, so they may explain it upon check in. Thank you for your understanding in the matter.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your photos of your trip as well. The peacocks are beautiful and add so much to the ambiance of the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Always At Your Service,

Been to Marriott Plaza San Antonio? Share your experiences!