“Great location. Beautiful garden and historic houses.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #47 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Durham, North Carolina
“Great location. Beautiful garden and historic houses.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

It's a quiet place in downtown area, with walking distance to the River Walk and the Alamo. Great value when bidding on Priceline. Extra costs are quite high, but I used wifi in the lobby, didn't have breakfast at the hotel and I didn't drive - that made the life much easier. Actually, I don't know why one of my devices can access to the guestroom wifi without login.

The garden, the pool and the historic houses behind the hotel are gorgeous. These makes it stand out.

I don't understand why the bed in my room is a pull-out sofa bed. I confirmed with the front desk that I got a king bed room, but the size is similar to full size. Probably the receptionist allocated it to solo female customers. I don't mind sleeping on sofa bed, but I just think it's a little bit weird - the room is spacious, with 3 sofas but no bed, and, it cannot fit individuals taller than 5'5. I noticed not all rooms look like this. The room is not noisy. It's clean. The balcony looks nice, but the door to the balcony cannot be opened for security reasons. I hope I can sit in the balcony on cool nights, but it would probably make guests too intimate with their neighbors.

The staff are generally friendly, though it took me half an hour to get in my room (the key didn't work twice). Housekeeping staff knocked the door almost every hour on the morning I checked out. They always runs out of the drinking water at the lobby. There is no weight training facilities at the fitness center.

Overall, it's a nice place to stay at given its great location, decent facilities and clean rooms. Beautiful sceneries add extra points.

Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It sounds as if you were in one of our parlor rooms. We have two parlor rooms which have sofas in them. I apologize for any shock this may have given you. If you booked through a third party, it is booked into a general room selection and will not specify they room type until check in. I will be sure to share this feedback with our front office team, so they may explain it upon check in. Thank you for your understanding in the matter.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your photos of your trip as well. The peacocks are beautiful and add so much to the ambiance of the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Always At Your Service,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Loved SA and loved this property. For a Marriott this size, workout room was amazing and the pool area very cool. Staff super super friendly and accommodating. Peacock and other ''birds'' pretty noisy, but a unique addition to a hotel stay.
Hotel room had some odd noise, wasn't sure it was the AC or what, but a small complaint.
Concierge lounge offers smoked salmon for breakfast. Whoo hoo!!!

Room Tip: Garden side awesome
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent review. I am so happy you enjoyed our concierge breakfast selection. We want to be sure that our guests have many options and I am thrilled you liked the selections.

Thank you for your patience with peacocks. They are beautiful, although occasionally can do their call and it can be startling. Most of our guests feel the same as you, they still add something unique you won't find at any other hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and we will see you when you come back!

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights at this property while speaking at a conference held at another hotel. I was initially going to stay at one of the two newer Marriott properties, but decided on the plaza after reviewing the trip advisor comments for this property. While the property is older and the furnishings are worn, the hotel is well maintained. This includes the lobby, guest rooms, Concierge Lounge and the hotel grounds including the 150+ year old buildings that have been turned into meeting rooms, both large and small. In one of my recent reviews, I wrote extensively about the poor attitude of the hotel staff, beginning at the front desk. At the Marriott Plaza, the complete opposite is true. The staff is warm and outgoing, showing genuine enthusiasm when greeting hotel guests. It did not matter if it was the Valet, the front desk team or the roving Lobby resident host (Yes, someone in the lobby to answer questions, offer suggestions and welcome you back home to the hotel).. Some may see this as the role of a Lobby Concierge, but this Marriott takes that position to a whole new level of excellence in guest relations. As for the pool and grounds, even in the extreme heat and humidity of July, the pool area was a nice place to spend time in the evening, relaxing in the cool water and enjoying your favorite beverage. And, unlike other properties that have begun closing up the Concierge Lounge over the weekends, the one at this property remains open for cold water, soft drinks and coffee thru the weekend. As for the room itself, the bed was excellent and the extra towels and refrigerator I always request were already in my room upon my arrival. And, last but not least, the breakfast buffet on the weekend was excellent...

Room Tip: If you are a Platinum Elite Member like me, request a room on the 4th floor near the Concierge Loung...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after another experience. I am thrilled that you have found that the team was helpful, friendly and wanted to go above and beyond. This is our goal and I am very pleased that you have seen a difference. I know our team genuinely want each guest to have an amazing and memorable experience. Thank you so much for returning and giving us a second chance.

I am happy that you enjoyed the concierge lounge. We do leave this open on weekends for our Platinum and Gold members. Just a little perk to say thank you.

I hope to see you again if your travels bring you to San Antonio! Thank you again for your review.

Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Came to San Antonio for Drum Corp Southwest Regionals.

Package deal through Southwest Airlines got me here.

Good location to walk to sights. 10 minutes to River Walk. 15 minutes to Alamo. 15 minutes to Alamodome .

Watch price of restauraunt for breakfast. Buffet for two was $40 plus tip. Good food, ask for made to order omlet.

Parking $23 per night. Internet $13 per day. Be sure to compare total cost.

If you drive at night, expect lot to be full after dinner on July weekend. Park and walk.

Rooms clean, but a little dated. Helpful staff.

Good, but lots of add on costs.

Dear LovelandLee,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. As with all full service Marriott properties we do charge for internet. It is free in our lobby and our business center. If the lot is ever full, we will gladly valet our guests car if no spaces are available, at no extra charge. Thank you for the feedback so that we may let our guests know.

I do hope overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your business and greatly value the feedback you have provided.

Have a wonderful day!

Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel nails 'location location location' with a short, five-minute walk to the riverwalk, Alamo and many other local attractions. It's also got nice grounds, a quaint pool, and peacocks - arguably giving a degree of ambiance lacking with other downtown hotels.

What it doesn't have - are good prices for breakfast, drinks, or parking. Save the $$ on breakfast and on drinks by shopping at HEB or anywhere else before coming to stay. The parking seems a bit of a price-pinch, but that may just be the cost of doing business this close to the center of town.

Lastly - skip dinner and go 200 meters right down S Alamo and enjoy diner at the local taco trailers - you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. I apprecaite your feedback on the pricing. We do try out best to be compettive with the other hotels in down town.

I am happy to hear that you loved the location. It is very close to all the attractions and great San Antonio restuaruants.

Thank you again for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to share. It only helps us improve.

Have a wonderful day!

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very nice setting for the hotel.
But why do Marriott hotels no have towel bars in the bathroom (same situation in Austin)?
The hotel asks multiple day occupants to reuse their towels, but then does not provide a towel rack for the towel to dry.
The check-in clerk(s) could use a littel personality. e.g. Brittany seemed to be imposed upon by us checking in.
You pay $23 a day for parking and then when you return to the hotel in the evening the parking lot is full.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. I apologize if you received anything but excellent customer service. I thank you for your feedback so that it may be addressed with our team to help us improve.

Thank you for your feedback for the towel bars as well. We do have hooks on the back of the door. However, the green program of reusing your towels is completely optional for the guests. If they are not hanging on the towel hooks, we will replace the towel. Thank you for the observation so that we may better communicate on where to hang the towels for our guests.

We do charge for the parking but are one of the cheapest hotels in both self park and valet. Being down town, all hotels charge for parking. I apologize for any inconvenience..

Thank you for staying with us and I apologize to disappoint you in any way.

Grand Prairie, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is my 3rd time to stay at this Hotel. Each time we have stayed, it was a very pleasant experience. I love the grounds, the setup of the hotel, and the location. The grounds are beautiful. We love to get away and relax and their amenities are all about relaxation! From the entrance area, to the lobby to the pool/patio area, it is all gorgeous. Great atmosphere. The staff was always very friendly, greet you when they see you and always have a smile on their face. I had a personal experience at the hotel and the staff went above and beyond to assist me!!! The pool area is great for families and/or couples. I love that this hotel has everything there...no need to leave unless you want to do some sight seeing or shopping.

Room Tip: Every room is great! They all have balconies either facing the outside of the hotel or the pool/pat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lisa J.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Thank you so much for your loyalty when you visit San Antonio. I sincerely appreciate your business.

I am delighted that each time has been wonderful! Our goal is to exceed our guests expectations; to make each guest feel this is their home away from home. I hope we see you for your 4th visit soon.

Thank you so much again for your review and for choosing to stay with us.

Always At Your Service,

Been to Marriott Plaza San Antonio? Share your experiences!