“Just a short walk ot the River” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #53 of 347 hotels in San Antonio
The Woodlands, Texas
“Just a short walk ot the River”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Please dont be put off that this hotel is not on the actual Riverwalk. It is accomodating, and there is a 3 min walk ot the entrance to the river by the Hilton. Hotel has a excellent breakfast, a bit pricey but better food than breakfast on the Riverwalk. Rooms are clean and the hotel seems ot be recently updated. Only 2 elevators so that is a bit of a hindrance. I woule definitely stay again - got the rate from Priceline "Name your own price" so was very reasonable. Hotel staff was WONDERFUL!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Mr. Lowney,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am so happy that you had a wonderful stay. Although we are not right on the Riverwalk, we are only about 400 steps away. The hotel grounds are beautiful and full of history having some of the original houses of San Antonio on our grounds.

I am happy that you enjoyed the food options as well. At Marriott we want to provide the best service and I am happy that everyone you encountered showed our commitment and passion for service.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I will be sure to share it with our entire team.

I hope to see you the next time you are in San Antonio!

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The property is beautiful. Peacocks great. Venetia Flowers always friendly. Food in restaurant and room service great.

I'm a Platinum Elite yet somehow was placed in room 319. Why does this matter? It's one floor underneath the concierge room where for two nights in a row, there's a loud party! Must be wood floors since I can hear everything that moves across the floor like a bowling alley. The conversations are also great!
I went to the front desk and they said they have access 24/7 but would gladly send someone to check it out. They must have joined the party. I'm typing this on a Wednesday night at 12:42am. Can't sleep and who knows how much longer this will last. Again, this is the second night of this!

I recommend you not put people in rooms underneath a room where you allow midnight parties during the work week. Especially Platinum members.
Very inconsiderate.

• Stayed January 2013
Maria M, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Mr. McPherson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your loyalty as a Platinum Elite.
I wanted to apologize that you did not have a great experience while staying with us due to noise. We try our best to keep groups noise levels to a minimum. I know this can be very frustrating, especially when you need a good night’s rest before working the next day. We do have overnight security and once we found out we did close the concierge lounge. None the less, I understand that this was very disappointing as a Platinum member.

Thank you for letting me know and I appreciate your feedback. I sincerely apologize that we have disappointed you in any way.

Plano, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was a great experience. Everyone at the hotel were helpful, friendly and always seemed to remember YOU. I did not feel like I was just someone there but truly a well treated guest in someones home. The staff was wonderful. The hotel was very comfortable and the property was well maintained. The old historical building were as welcome change to most modern hotels. The whole place and people were amazing. We are thinking about making this an annual event and staying at this hotel each year! Venetia Flowers, the Lobby Amabassador, was always there to help and just a wonderful person. So friendly and willing to help in an situation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kay,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. Thank you for also taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that you had a wonderful stay and that our entire teams made you feel at home. We strive to not only meet but exceed our guest’s expectations. We want every guest to leave with a memorable stay.

I will be sure to recognize Venetia. She is truly an amazing part of our team and genuinely wants each guest to be taken care. She will go above and beyond to ensure our guests have whatever they need.

I will share your comments with our entire team. Thank you again for staying with us. I hope to see you again during your next visit to San Antonio.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stay at Marriotts all over the country, had a meeting downtown SA this week. The staff was friendly and the room was well kept like all Marriotts.

Keep in mind I'm a business traveller, Marriott Silver Elite, 50-100 Marriott nights/year. I didn't sleep well - one I was put directly across the hall from the ice machine which is well loved by the local tourists at 11 and 12 at night. Second there is an infernal freight train that comes through several times per night and blows its horn. At one point I actually got up to see if the outside door was open it was so loud. I wondered if there was a room that faced away from the train noise. Next morning my colleague and I decided to meet in the lobby for a quick cup of coffee and meet before going to our client's office. The coffee was warm, not hot and not cold. Just old and warm. Second that lobby was as loud as you could imagine with construction, mop buckets, tourists in and out, loud background music. It was kind of embarrassing to be honest.

I don't regularly complain about much, as an experienced traveler I've seen it all. Again, the staff was friendly and the room was nice, but this wasn't a good business experience. If this was the last Marriott downtown I'd stay in a Hilton. If I was a tourist, maybe a good option it's walking distance to the local sights, although not as close as the Marriott Riverwalk. I thought I was staying at the less touristy one.

Room Tip: Away from the freight train
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Andrew G.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Marriott. Thank you for your loyalty as a Marriott Silver Elite. I am sorry to ready that there were some things that disappointed you during your stay.

We have been working on our lobby tile to improve our product. That will be completed the first week of February. I apologize for any inconvenience with the noise and for the coffee not being as hot as you prefer. If at any time we can make our guests more comfortable, we absolutely want to be aware. I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the service and that our team was friendly. That is what we strive for and I am glad we have met your expectations on that level.

Again, I apologize for any inconveniences during your trip. I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was a very nice hotel in San Antonio, very close to downtown and the riverwalk. The hotel is within walking several destinations downtown including the alamo. Thee are several great resturaunts around this hotel. I would certainly go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Chad,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. I am happy tor ead you had a great experience while enjpying all that San Antonio has to offer around the hotel. The hotel has a wonderful location and the team is ready to assist with any questions or assistance anyone needs to enjoy the city.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Best Regards,
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This time our stay was only one-night while the lobby area was being renovated, but it was still a great choice for downtown. Don't let the fact that it's not right on the Riverwalk dissuade you; I think that it's short distance from the main downtown attraction is an advantage. We had a third-floor, courtyard-facing room that was very quiet. On this cold January night, there was a large, welcoming fire burning in the outdoor fireplace near the pool. A balcony room overlooking the courtyard is a welcome respite from the frenzied tourist traffic on the Riverwalk. The staff was just as attentive as it was on our last visit when they'd made such a good impression. The self-park was $25, but the location is very close and convenient. Our room was very clean and comfortable, but housekeeping had failed to leave shampoo (lotion, conditioner, and body wash, yes--but no shampoo)--which is not something you want to discover as you enter the shower. The only reason I withheld a fifth star from my review is that I really think in this day and age every hotel of this caliber should have iPod docks. I haven't stayed in a room in any hotel for some time that didn't have one. Marriott, it's time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Bohemian81:

And....you're one of our favorite guest! We can't wait to see you back soon to enjoy our brand new lobby and lounge. As you noted in your review, the Marriott Plaza offers the unique advantage of a downtown location, but with a resort like atmosphere. Between the outdoor fire pit and seating area, bubbling fountain in our Spanish courtyard, the tropical plants and six acres of Texas landscape with roaming, exotic birds, the Marriott Plaza truly offers an oasis within minutes of everything San Antonio offers.

I have also taken note of your comment about the IPOD docking station and have passed it on to our corporate decision makers for their consideration.

Thank you once again for being a loyal Marriott Plaza guest!

At your service,

Rob A. Gauthier
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for the Alamo Bowl this past week end. The hotel was extremly busy and the staff did a great job of managing a lot of people. Our room was clean and comfortable. We have drinks at the bar and recieved great service. Location was perfect for the stadium and the Riverwalk. Hotel has a lovely courtyard and I am sure had the weather been a little better we would have enjoyed that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Alwaystraveling78:

Thank you for your compliments of the Marriott Plaza San Antonio, including your observations about our staff. They work hard to go above and beyond guest's expectation in service and with all our great new changes, guests will enjoy an even more upscale downtown hotel.

As you noted, we offer a great location near all the sights, but without the congestion.The Marriott Plaza is truly unique, with its six acres of lush, tropical landscaping, Spanish courtyard and roaming exotic Peacocks, we offer the closest thing to a resort-like atmosphere in downtown San Antonio.
On behalf of the staff, thank you once again. We look forward to your return!

Rob Gauthier

Been to Marriott Plaza San Antonio? Share your experiences!