“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Longmont, Colorado
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spent a week at the San Antonio Marriott Plaza with my family for a Thanksgiving week vacation. I was pleasantly surprised at how close to the hub of the River Walk the plaza was, just two or three pleasant blocks away. The hotel had a nice pool, hot tub, lobby and overall property. I wasted my time and money renting a car, there is a bus and trolley system throughout the city, one right in front of the hotel. If you want to go to Sea World, Zoo, Botanical Gardens etc. just take a bus or a taxi. There is a cheap little hole in the wall restaurant just a few blocks away, Tim's Kitchen, very good. The only downside I can say is that the hotel is on the corner of two significant streets and you may be able to hear buses, trucks, motorcycles, especially in the middle of the night, but no big deal I would go back. Staff was friendly and informative.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a nice view and balcony. The 6th floor didn't have an ice maker, you had to g...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear johnlefever:

On behalf of the staff of the Marriott Plaza we are so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay in San Antonio; thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacation.

Downtown San Antonio offers a wide range of sights and sounds and the Marriott Plaza Hotel is a great choice for accommodations because of our close proximity to everything the city offers, without the congestion. The 6 acres of tropical grounds, roaming Peacocks, historic buildings, Spanish courtyard, and the beautiful new additions to our hotel offers guests a unique resort-like experience near everything from the Riverwalk to the King William Historic District.

Thank you once again for choosing the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. We look forward to being your host again.

Rob Gauthier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

First off the good thing about the hotel, it has a nice courtyard & the balcony overlooking it is a very nice touch. Now on to everything else. When we first arrived I had planned on eating at the hotel however the restaraunt was closed for the night. The check in person was not friendly or welcoming at all & seemed to be tired or in a poor mood. When we got into our room is was very hot. We turned the air way down and decided to walk to the riverwalk. When we got back four hours later it was even hotter. We called the front desk & to their credit sent someone up quickly to fix it, kind of. The next morning I went to try & iron some clothes. First I could not plug the iron in near the restroom because the plug was old & worn out & it kept falling out, so I go to the near the bed & realize the iron is leaking water everywhere. I call again to request a new one. While walking back to the bathroom I have water drip on my head. I realize the air conditioner is now leaking water from the ceiling like crazy. I told them of this but they did not seem much to care. I did not mind the $25 parking, or that you have to pay for wi-fi, but when there is no soda machines and a small thing of Apple Juice is $4 in the store downstairs it adds up to alot of nickle & diming the customer. And there is no pay per view in the rooms or even HBO, even every Motel 6 has HBO. I highly regret staying at this hotel. There are way to many nicer hotels at the same price or lower on or closer to the river for this to be a good choice.

Room Tip: If you must stay here a room along the courtyard is much nicer then viewing the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Texan82:

On behalf of the staff, I am very apologetic for your experience here at the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. We strive to exceed the expectations of our guests and when we fail, it is truly disappointing.

I am investigating your concerns about the A/C in your room as well as your comment about the iron. Neither has been previously reported, but are inexcusable and will be corrected immediately including the inadequate guest service response.

The Marriott Plaza offers a unique downtown San Antonio experience, within walking distance of everything the city offers including the Riverwalk, while providing our guests a stay without the congestion and noise. Our unique tropical grounds, Spanish courtyard with roaming exotic birds, and several historic buildings offers our guests a resort atmosphere.

Regarding your other comments, we offer guests the all inclusive Corner Pantry in our lobby with a wide assortment of beverages, snacks, and sundries, which better controls the noise on guestroom floors often created by vending machines. In room entertainment does include select cable channels as appropriate for a family oriented company, but I can appreciate your comments and have directed them to our corporate office.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide your insight and please contact me directly to further discuss your stay.

210-229-1000
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I was in charge of setting up the hotel for our fall meeting and picked the Marriott Plaza San Antonio. Although its not a chic hotel on the river walk, this is an oasis. I also choose it for the same meeting and stayed in 2007. Its 2 blocks from the river walk and across from the convention center. Its about 5 stories and sitting on 12 acres of a beautiful tree lined property. It has a very spanish feel to it. The pool is outdoors with fountains dropping into it, lined with palms and grass surround. Theres an outdoor bar, hot tub, a fire pit, and 2 historic houses where you can have a party. Our meeting was held in a historic German school house with all the amenities of a "regular" meeting room but with tall windows and you can walk outside! The rooms are a good size, some with vaulted ceilings and most with very large balconies. Staff is very warm and accomodating. You would never believe you were in the middle of San Antonio.

Room Tip: Face the courtyard in the middle, with a balcony.... Concieres level (4th floor) includes a room w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear DianeC:

Thank you for choosing the Marriott Plaza, with its resort-like atmosphere and convenience to all the sights in downtown San Antonio. Within a few minutes walking distance of the Convention Center, the Riverwalk, La Villita, and the King William Historic District, we offer close proximity without the noise and congestion.

We also appreciate your comments about our grounds and historic buildings including the German School House that offers
just one of our great alternatives to the typical stuffy, windowless hotel meeting space. With our roaming Peacocks and tropical landscaping, the Marriott Plaza is the best kept secret in San Antonio.

On behalf of the staff, thank you again; we look forward to your return to see all our new changes coming in the next few weeks as we continue to strive to be your first choice in San Antonio.

Robert Gauthier
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Booked this hotel within 14 hours of check-in time through Priceline. Lady luck was with me. Room was very clean (not even dusty air vents - believe me; I check!) or dirty grout. Upon arrival, I realized I had stayed at this hotel about 4-5 years ago, and didn't like the parking across the street. However, that seems to be the new "norm" for downtown S.A. No rain, so did not mind the little trot to the lobby. Bell hops and front desk personnel very accomodating. Bethany was very patient with finding me a good room for my great-aunt who does not like elevators and could not walk to the end of the halls. My only "comment" is the high price for uncovered parking -- $23.00 a night self-park; $28.00 a night valet. Didn't mind because of the good rate I got through Priceline.

Room Tip: We faced the top of the Plaza roof, but that was o.k. We were not there for the view. :-0 All oth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Luvgames:

On behalf of the staff, thank you so much for your comments and constructive insight regarding your recent stay at the Marriott Plaza. We offer great convenience within walking distance to all the sights and entertainment including the Riverwalk, La Villita and the Alamo, but without the congestion. With our beautiful Spanish courtyard, six acres of grounds with historic buildings, roaming Peacocks and abundant tropical plants, the Marriott Plaza truly offers a resort like atmosphere in downtown San Antonio.

I appreciate your comment about our parking, and yes, like every downtown business and hotel, parking is fee based but I can assure you, very competitive with downtown parking rates as well as convenient in our private lot across from the hotel entry.

We continue to strive to offer the best services to our guests and have some new, exciting changes to our hotel in the near future; we look forward to your return to enjoy the Marriott Plaza San Antonio.

Marriott Plaza San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Great room & comfortable bed. Food is good & the location can't be beat: only a few blocks walk to the Alamo or The River Walk. Guest Services is friendly & quick; if you need any directions, suggestions or Tickets to a game or event, ask for Joe Lopez.

• Stayed November 2012
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear RobynnVT:

Thank you for your great comments about the Marriott Plaza...the best kept secret in downtown San Antonio with its resort-like atmosphere and great location. As you mentioned, our guests enjoy close proximity to the Riverwalk, La Villita, the Alamo, Hemisphere Plaza and the convention center, as well as the fun and diverse King William Historic District.....all within walking distance.

Our staff appreciates your acknowledgement of their commitment to personalized guest service and continue to strive to raise the bar to exceed expectation.

We look forward to being your host again in the future.

Bowie, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you are needing a haven to get away from the RiverWalk...more importantly, if you have small dogs and need a pet friendly oasis...the Marriott Riverwalk never disappoints. I was there last week, and I can't say enough about the level of service extended to me and my critters. If you are lucky enough to get a room on the first floor, the patio provides perfect access to a beautiful courtyard filled with Peafowl for your viewing. The property is emaculate and I've never had such delcious tortillia soup as i did at the Plaza bar. This is really one of those hidden gems, and I pray it stays undisturb....as I will never stay any place other than the Plaza. My ONLY complaint is the expense of self parking. It will run approximately $24 per day, but then again, any parking around the downtown area is equally as expensive. One positive note regarding the parking, however, it's literally just steps away from the lobby entrance. Other than that....it's a delightful property. Lastly, the pet fee for the entire stay was $100. I felt very reasonable. Less than a 5 minute walk to the Riverwalk and/or Convention Center. Kudos to the Marriott

Room Tip: Room #115 kingsize bed...easy access to courtyard from patio. Room #113 the same...except double bed...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Visormom:

Thank you for your detailed comments about the Marriott Plaza, truly the best kept secret in San Antonio. As you noted, our unique location, offering convenience to everything downtown, as well as the historic King William District, along with our resort-like atmosphere away from all the congestion provides our guests a great experience in the center of it all!

And, as you noted, our guest parking offers close proximity and be assured, is highly competitive for downtown, which is almost entirely fee based parking.

Thank you for choosing the Marriott Plaza Hotel and on behalf of our entire staff (and the roaming peacocks and pheasant), we look forward to your return as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had reservations at the Marriott Riverwalk but changed before going to my Conference that was at the Convention Center and am so glad I did.
It was such a great stay, the beds were very comfortable, and it felt very homy. The service was great and it was much cheaper than the Riverwalk or River Center and it was just a short walk to the Convention Center!
I would recommend staying away from the hustle and bustle and stay at the Marriott Plaza

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rob G, General Manager at Marriott Plaza San Antonio, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful review of the Marriott Plaza San Antonio and for pointing out our great downtown location, with close proximity to the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, Hemisphere Park, the Alamadome, La Villita and within 5 minutes walking time to the RiverWalk, but without the congestion. And, we're just down the street from the colorful and fun King William Historic District, the Marriott Plaza San Antonio is truly the best kept secret in downtown San Antonio.

It was a pleasure having you as a guest. We look to you returning soon!

Rob Gauthier

Been to Marriott Plaza San Antonio? Share your experiences!