“Great Hotel. Bad staff” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 25% in Texas
Ranked #80 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Great Hotel. Bad staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Shortly after arrival i was confused about the parking. Everyone ignores me at the front desk, A guy helps me with somewhat of an attitude. I ask him a simple question " when do i pay for parking ". He looks at me stupid and ask me " are you staying with us?". I am a young black male, and i took the smart remark as if this guy is trying to insinuate, "my kind" don't usually stay at this hotel. I avoided contact with the rest of the hotel staff for the rest of my trip, just felt like an outsider, no one would greet me and i kept getting odd looks from staff. Other than that, Very good hotel, enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed June 2013
MarioJBass, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We apologize if our staff did not make you feel welcome.
When you asked about paying for parking, our front desk attendant asked if you were staying with us because a registered guest is allowed to bill parking charges directly to your room bill. Otherwise, visitors need to pay at the garage booth exit. I believe he was trying to give you the correct answer and needed to know if you were a guest.
If you will contact us, we would love to discuss this with you directly. Again, please accept our apologies for the confusion. We’re pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband, four children, and I stayed at the Marriott Rivercenter July 24-27, 2013. We were greeted warmly by the staff and got to our side-by side, connected rooms right away. The connected rooms were a pleasant surprise given the fact that when booking the rooms online it said our room type did not offer connecting rooms. The cribs were not in the rooms, which was not a welcomed surprise, given the fact that we arrived close to bedtime and we specified that each room needed a crib. However, we got them within about 45 minutes.

The comforter on one of the four beds smelled of mildew. Housekeeping came between 8 and 9 every morning. FAR too early for our liking. Then, when we received a call asking when we'd like our rooms to be cleaned, and after they agreed to 5:30, they never showed up. At 6:30 my husband called and asked for some clean towels and the trash to be emptied. A gentleman arrived with 4 towels and quickly scampered off. I quickly asked if he'd take our trash and he agreed, but spilled half of it on the floor in the room and stood by and watched as I cleaned up the scrambled eggs that he spilled. He handed me four trash bags and was gone in a flash.

If you'd like to pay half price for parking, park in the garage next to Casa Rio, about a 5 minute walk up Commerce Street. There's a police substation on the first floor of the structure. Although you'll likely never see a (desperately needed) police presence downtown, it's nice to know they're in the building.

If your're planning to explore the Alamo, the Riverwalk, or even eating at the nearby McDonalds, be prepared to be approached by the city's less fortunate citizens asking for money, cigarettes, food, etc. There is absolutely NO police presence on the streets of San Antonio and this is one place that could use it. I'd not recommend walking anywhere after dark.

The pool was cloudy and they have wet, slippery tile around the pool. Someone definitely didn't do their homework when choosing flooring for wet areas.

We had an okay experience, and would consider staying here again now that we know what to expect.

Room Tip: The 2 corner rooms we had were quiet and far away from elevators and ice machines. We were on the n...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Marriott Rivercenter. I’m sorry to hear that we disappointed you on so many different levels. The service you received is not typical of the service we provide to our guests and for that, we sincerely apologize.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you warm heart, authentic culture level of service of which we are known for.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Good experience here. It is right in the middle of everything and a short cab from the airport. Right next to the Riverwalk and easy walk to a lot of restaurants around there. Also attached to small mall right next door and a movie theater. Hard to argue with this location. Great service as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your review. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed your stay and the many offerings of the River Walk. We hope to have the opportunity to serve as your host the next time you are in San Antonio. Thank you, again.
Hewitt, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This location is our SA getaway. Great location in the heart of city, just a few steps from river walk, shopping and great restaurants. The staff is top notch. Pay the extra ten dollars to valet versus $20+ parking and then walking. If you are a Marriott rewards member expect a smooth stay and a perk or two for your loyalty.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We agree the Marriott Rivercenter is in a great location, right in the heart of the Riverwalk. I also have to agree that our staff is top notch! Thank you again for your great review and please come again.
White Salmon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been staying at the Rivercenter hotel every July for the past 10 years. This property is located on the riverwalk and just a short walk from the Alamo. The location is fantastic and the surrounding area is perfect for a family adventure, conference, or a romantic get away! The rooms are nicely appointed and the service is 2nd to none. You won't regret your choice if you stay at the Rivercenter!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MarioJBass, Guest Relations Manager at San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for such a great post and thank you for being a loyal Marriott customer! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our staff is second to none, and the service they provide is also second to none.

We look forward to hosting you brilliantly on your return visit to the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel.
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Although I was here for pleasure, not business, I was able to see things in a different light. This hotel is very convenient to all things Riverwalk. Nice and easy walk to the river, restaurants, the Alamo, etc. Service was fantastic at check in. Fast, efficient and friendly. The suite was great: very clean, very large, and very comfortable bed. My only complaint would be that the bath/shower would be better in this type of room if it was large and more sumptuous, instead of a standard set up. The concierge level was very good, with good hot food and friendly service. Parking charge is very high and not worth it, park on the other side of the street for free. Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a great post. I’m happy to hear the staff took great care of you during your check in and in the concierge lounge.

While our parking rates may sound expensive, our research shows that we are priced fairly with other downtown hotels. Our parking garage is enclosed and we provide in/out privileges that some parking lots do not.

Thank you again for a great post and please come again.
Richmond, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here for business in July 2013. The hotel is in a great location, right on the Riverwalk, next to the Alamo, and shopping. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The lobby is pretty and there is a Starbucks there too. The hotel food is really good! The rooms are average nothing special. My room was quite. However, there are some down sides. The door to my room had some kind of arm that caused it not to close quickly. I had to stand and wait for the door to close itself...which is annoying when you are in rush...you don't want to just walk away because someone could be standing around the corner and slip in your room when you walked away...big safety issue. The pool was dirty...I am sure they clean it but there were dead bugs floating and there was a nasty film around the side of the pool just above the water line.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high up room with a view of the river walk area. I had a low room with a view of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post some great comments about the Marriott Rivercenter! Our staff does a great job of providing the best of service to all our guests as does our Executive Chef in the preparation and attention to detail of the food we serve in all our outlets.

I will be sure to share your concerns regarding the condition of the pool, as well as your concern regarding the door. You are absolutely right, it is a security issue and we will definitely look into it.