“Excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have used this hotel for each of the four years we have done the Rock and Roll Half Marathon. The staff is very friendly and the hotel is clean and very well run. The valets are wonderful and helpful even if the price for valet parking is a little steep (38 bucks a night). The hotel is huge with a great meeting area in the lobby with a restaurant and bar and a Starbucks. It is right nest to the Riverwalk and convenient to everything touristy including the Alamo. The beds are excellent and the hotel is very clean. In four years, we have never had a bad experience. It is a little pricey (205 bucks a night for a double room plus 38 bucks a night for valet parking plus federal, state, and city tax. One night with one car was 280 bucks). We were on the 11th floor, and my brother, who was on the 25th floor, had a gorgeous view of the city. I would recommend this hotel for its great staff, clean rooms, and convenience to the Riverwalk and other attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

All in all not a bad hotel, but for the price ($220/night) you can do better. It's clean, the staff was friendly and the one meal I had at the restaurant was good. The room itself provided most of the disappointment. The hotel was built in 1980 and I swear some of the furniture (desk, nightstands, etc.) is original. Very bland and scuffed up. The refrigerator, which was just sitting out all by itself looked like it had survived a fall from the 33rd floor and was so noisy I had to unplug it. The layout of the room was inconvenient too. Add in lack of in-room coffee maker, $13/day for wi-fi, and no breakfast and it all adds up to not getting what you pay for. Motel 6 has better amenities.

Room Tip: Room 3310m has a very nice balcony with table and chairs
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed for four nights due to a conference in the hotel.

Pros:
- the beds are amazingly soft. Lots of pillows. Bedding was very luxurious
- staff was incredibly friendly - maintenance people said hello
- room was spotless clean
- room had a very nice and easy to use safe for storing items
- hotel lobby is very nice and accommodating
- located along the riverwalk

Cons:
- pricey. I paid $184 a night with a conference rate. With taxes it was over $200 per night.
- no coffee maker in the room
- No airport shuttle - it is a $25 taxi ride to the airport (about 15 minutes)

Room Tip: Currently (Nov 2012) they are replacing the roof of the hotel. They have a letter in the room comme...
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My stay took place during the Bands of America Super Regionals. It's a great location since its in walking distance to the Alamodome and on the river walk. When I walked in I was greeted and then directed to the desk. The desk clerk was very friendly and told me her name and that she would be working until (xx) if I needed anything. She said that check in was 4:00 (it was 3:45 and I had requested early check in...) and what she had open was next to the elevator. I told her that I would rather not have that room (not knowing how many high school bands might be staying there) and I could wait, no problem. She typed a bit more and said that she had a corner room on an upper floor.
When I first arrived to my room I could tell maintenance was in the room so I waited down the hall for about 10 minutes until they were finished. The carpet in the hall was covered in plastic so I was a little worried about what was going on. In the room there was a letter explaining that some renovations were going on and there might be some slight disturbances. The room was pretty with a nice corner view, good lighting and a large desk. But no time to stay!
As I left the hotel to walk back to the Alamodome I stopped to ask the valet how late they were on duty since I didn't expect to be back until after midnight and I had left my car and luggage at the Dome. He said they worked all night. I arrived back to the hotel at 1:00 am. No valet. Luckily there was a spot in the garage that was near the door (but man that garage is an extremely tight squeeze around the corners. Don't know if I could have done it in my suburban). I had to stop by the desk to exchange the garage ticket and mentioned no valet and she seemed surprised so maybe I caught him on a break.
The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. I would have happily stayed in bed all day if I could have. There was some construction type noise/weird pipes in the morning but not until 10 or so and it wasn't bad, especially since I was aware that it may be going on.
The hotel didn't feel very crowded. The Grand Hyatt directly across the street was packed to the rafters and felt like it (my daughter was staying there).
I've stayed here a few times now and I like it. The staff are always friendly, the rooms clean and it's convenient to the places I like to visit. It may be a little pricy for family travel but I think it's great for couples or a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: I like the higher floors. You can see all over the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

A very beautiful hotel. Great meeting space. Most staff were super, but in this hotel, not all staff we super helpful. The ladies that worked at the starbucks in the lobby were consistently not very friendly. Rooms are very clean. Location is excellent. Food was average for meeting functions. A great hotel overall for holding a meeting. Attendees will enjoy location for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Riverwalk/Alamo area is a must see for any San Antonio visit. The Marriott River Center Hotel is situated right in the middle of this area. Close to everything. We were on the 31st floor. No issues with smoke, noise or renovations. Nice view of River walk. It is pricey to stay there. We paid $1020 for 4 nights, which is not unexpected for that location. The one big rub was the additional $12.95 per day internet access charge they wanted to levy. This is a hotel that has a lot of business/conference traffic that is already paying BIG bucks to stay there, and they want to add another $50 to the $1,000 room bill? We didn't do it. Interestingly, we extended our stay at Sleep Inn and Holiday Inn after the conference ended. Half the price and wifi and breakfast included for free.

Room Tip: We stayed in 3133, view of River Walk.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location, with direct access to the Riverwalk and downtown San Antonio. Added plusses: convention facilities; Starbucks in lobby; spacious and comfortable lobby, great for meeting and conversing with colleagues. Downside: you have to pay for wireless internet access.

Room Tip: Request upper floor, facing toward downtown.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter? Share your experiences!