“Time for a Complete Make Over” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #121 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Kettering, Ohio
“Time for a Complete Make Over”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Our first trip to San Antonio was accompanied by many suggestions which included to stay at the Marriott Riverwalk, which we did. The Marriott Riverwalk provides a great location to the many restaurants, the Rivercenter Mall and the convention center. The staff is top notch, very friendly, helpful and understands the importance of good customer service. And both meals we had at the hotel were very delicious. The hotel on the other hand is old and tired and I am glad to hear a makeover is planned. The rooms are very small, nonexistent amenities that you would expect from the Marriott, and an even smaller bathroom. Our room had the bed and headboard under the air/heat vent and every time the system kicked on our bed would vibrate like the vibrating bed machines in a cheap hotel. After a couple of go-a-rounds with the vibrating bed, we pulled the bed away from the wall. The television reception was horrible!! Our stay was during the second and third rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament so the TV was important. Poor satellite reception, plus most of the channels were analog. I guess going analog was complementing the early-90s vibe of the hotel. Also, included in our room was a catalog to “Buy Marriott” and the ironic thing was that none of the items listed in the catalog were in our room. My expectations of the Marriott are much higher than what we experienced during our stay at Marriott Riverwalk. The price we paid for our room was way too much for was we received. In a city where there were hotels for as far as the eyes can see, great customer service can only go so far. Here’s hoping the remodel is successful and new life can be restored into the Marriott Riverwalk.

Room Tip: If your room does not face the Riverwalk, requeat a higher floor room to advoid the pool noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear DaytonDave1113,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us your feedback. The hotel is indeed slated for a rooms renovation this year for a more updated look and feel. San Antonio has much to offer and I hope you will return after the renovation. We appreciate the comments regarding our staff; we do have a top-notch staff that excels in the art of hosting and would love to host you again. Having stayed with Marriott before, I understand your expectations, and I’m sorry we failed in meeting those expectations. We value your feedback and honesty, thank you for sharing with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Awesome location! The hotel is located on River walk and all balcony rooms overlook it and provide a great view of downtown San Antonio. The hotel is just 2 blocks from the Alamo. The room and service were good but nothing "over the top". Tip: be sure to get a balcony room for the view.

• Stayed March 2014
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Nice Marriott close to the Riverwalk and just a few blocks from downtown River center. Within walking distance of pretty much all of downtown. The concierge food and service was excellent. The staff was VERY friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Corner rooms best, they are away from elevators
Green Features: Great, like all Marriotts very considerate of the environment--smoke free
Beavercreek, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Although this Marriott is in a great location and we had a room overlooking Riverwalk, the accommodations were dated and lacked contemporary conveniences. There was no microwave, the bathroom was extremely small and the sink area is crowded for two people trying to get ready. Too many other choices on the Riverwalk to live without these conveniences. For $228/night we had much higher expectations!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Gloria H
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. You’ll be pleased to know the hotel will undergo a rooms renovation later this year, in 2014. San Antonio and The River Walk are great locations to visit and relax, I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of hosting you in one of our many fine hotels on the River Walk in the near future. Thank you again.
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Room was eh. Bathroom was very dark. Checking in was a hassle as our business manager used the company card to book it and we all thought to pay for it but then they wanted my personal card. Had too call the boss and he wasn't too happy at Marriott. Location is good though. Heated pool and pool table are nice amenities. Will come back to san Antonio with family but will prob not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Patrick M, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Bonnie H.
Thank you for posting your review. Please accept my apologies for the confusion at check in, but I’m pleased to know you liked the location and enjoyed the amenities. Again, thank you for your feedback.
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Nicely located right on the Riverwalk and close to Convention Center. Just a little shabby, with dirty carpets in the upper floor halls, greasy child height fingerprints etc. on the window, mold untold on the ancient acoustical tile ceiling in the bathroom.
The elevators were very slow, and sometimes took up to 10 minutes to arrive.
On a positive note, I liked the bar for a quick bite (try the delicious Buffalo Shrimp and the blood orange margarita!)
This is not a deluxe property. I guess for $209 one can't expect miracles, but I do expect it to be clean. Probably would try something else for next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view because the alternative is industrial/non-interesting.
Dear Radgirl3
Thank you for your feedback. When one checks into a hotel, they have every right to expect a clean room. Please accept my apology for that not being the case with your room. We make every effort to always present the cleanest room possible, but sadly, we failed. I am pleased, though, that you enjoyed the food in the bar. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our restaurant manager and our executive chef. I sincerely hope you will visit our hotel once the rooms renovation is completed later in 2014. Thank you, again.
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Just spent 5 nights at this particular hotel, and I'll be honest and say that I am a loyal hilton diamond member, so staying at other hotel brands is sometimes both a pleasure and a curse.
The pleasurable part was the staff was super friendly and helpful in every way, from the front desk supervisor ( Carlos ) to the ladies in the starbucks, to the restaurant workers. Everyone was great. Another pleasurable part was my room was quite comfortable, bed was comfy, nice pillows on the bed ( not the cheap foam pillows ) Nice quality toiletries in the bathroom. My room was also directly beside the elevator ( a quick reminder this was not a hilton based on my room location the non view I got .. ha ha ) but even though it was beside the elevator, I honestly never heard it so it was not a distraction.
So as I stated, because I am a nobody with Marriott I assume was why I got no view of the river, a room next to the elevator, and also would have had to pay 13$ a day for internet, which with a HItlon for me would have been free. So I had to go down to the lobby to work on my iPad and laptop, which was a bit of an annoyance, but oh well.

25$ to self park, and 35$ to valet. just too much to park. I took my car back to the airport and used the Go Shuttle service to and from the hotel. Save your money.

But based on the room, the staff, and the location directly across the street from the river walk mall, and easy access to the actual river walk I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in the area… and literally directly across the street from the convention center …

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Marriott San Antonio Riverwalk? Share your experiences!