“Not so great...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #197 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Germany
“Not so great...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I just took a big road trip from North Carolina to Texas due to relocation. Our last two nights in a hotel were spent in a surprisingly yucky La Quinta property on Rittiman Road in San Antonio. San Antonio actually has several La Quinta properties. I chose the one on Rittman Road because it was near where our property manager's office is. It also appeared to be closest to our new house. Reviews on Trip Advisor were mixed, so we took a chance. The price was definitely right at about $60 a night and no pet fees.

I'm of a mixed mind about this property...

This La Quinta is an older property right by Interstate 35. It's not in the best part of town. Next door on one side is a huge mega church/Christian school. On the other side, there's a Mexican restaurant that serves very good food and another hotel. We were given a room on the side near the church, because there's a grassy area for the dogs to relieve themselves. The doors on the motel rooms open to the outside; it's like an old fashioned motel.

We stayed two nights at this location. Honestly, it kind of depressed me to stay at this La Quinta, even though technically it was somewhat decent and had everything we needed. The room really needs to be refurbished. Of course, even if they refurbished this property, it would still be surrounded by low end properties on a busy road by an interstate.

Our room

We were assigned room 127. As soon as we opened the door, I could see this motel was not nearly as pleasant as the La Quinta in Beaumont. But it did have a nice king sized bed, good linens, a large, flat-screen TV with premium channels, free Internet and a big bathroom. There was no fridge or microwave.

The room was fairly small, with a nice sized desk and cheap looking chair. There was a small closet. The back wall was covered in orange wallpaper that was peeling off the walls. My dog Arran found a spot on the rug that had apparently had something spilled on it that was never properly cleaned up. He started licking it and would not stop until we put something over the spot. The wallpaper matched the drapes, which were very thick and completely blacked out of the window when they were closed.

The bed was very comfortable, though it had cheap pillows.

The bathroom

Our bathroom was surprisingly large with plenty of counter space. The toiletries were basic, but adequate with conditioning shampoo and bar soap. The shower got great water pressure and had plenty of hot water. I have to admit, I probably enjoyed my showers the most at this motel, despite its rather ghetto appearance.

Maid service

Since we stayed two nights, I had occasion to observe the maid service. We were gone all morning and into the afternoon. When we returned at about 3:00, our room had still not been made up. The maid was about two rooms away from us. Since I had the dogs with me and it was over 100 degrees outside, I just asked her to take our trash and give us some fresh towels. She happily obliged.

Breakfast

The breakfast at this property was not as good as the one in Beaumont. However, their Texas waffle iron was working perfectly, so my husband was able to make me one. Served with nasty butter spread, though, it wasn't something I wanted to finish. He also brought me chilled boiled eggs in a styrofoam cup and orange juice that tasted like it was full of sugar water. I have to say, breakfast was a bit disappointing, though my Facebook friends did get a kick out of the photo of the Texas shaped waffle I posted.

Other amenities

This property has an outdoor pool that I didn't use. It also has laundry facilities that are located outside. We did use those to wash some clothes. It was $1.50 to wash, $1.75 to dry. Bring quarters. Parking is free and plentiful.

Overall

41 year old me didn't like this La Quinta, but 21 year old me would have been totally fine with it. It's not that uncomfortable in the ways that count. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was excellent. It's totally pet friendly and there are no ridiculous pet fees or deposits to pay. The Mexican restaurant next door serves outstanding food. This property is also quite cheap.

But if you're used to nicer accommodations, this La Quinta probably won't cut it. We've been having a rough time with this move and I have to say, that motel room did not help matters. I had a good crying jag the morning we checked out.

I could recommend this motel to people who need a cheap, pet friendly place to stay. For most everyone else, I think I'd advise them to look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Three bath towels in room, but only one washcloth. Breakfast ends at 9am during week; would be better to extend to 9:30 or 10, because it got much too crowded at 8:50. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Rio Grande Valley, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Excellent accommodations ; especially on a holiday. We were allowed to check in a a couple hours before standard check in. From desk personnel was very professional and helpful with assistance in relation to local entertainment.

• Stayed July 2013
Brownsville, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This motel was not what I expected from La Quinta. The bed was very comfy but the pillows were lumpy. It was over 100 outside and the air conditioner worked great. The flat screen TV with cable service was nice, but no HBO? The room was small and the bathroom was tiny and smelled like maybe a sewer back-up. There were large stains on the bottom of the bathtub - very poor repair work (patches) on the ceiling and walls. Carpet was vacuumed, but stained and dirty and there was loose dirt around the baseboards in the bathroom. Both the room and bathroom needed a good cleaning. Not enough towels or washcloths were in the room, but the staff was very good about supplying extra towels and washcloths when requested. On the last night we were there there were FBI Agents (yup, FBI) all over the parking lot - don't know what that was about, but maybe not the safest area to be in? Would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Waco tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Always stay at La Quinta. This was not a planned visit. Had been driving for 12 plus hrs. Needed showers and sleep. Very disappointed in the condition of room. Poor attempts to fix and update. Really bad smell in room, bathroom did not look clean. I expect more. The next morning there was a huge spider on the wall. When I told the front desk they where like, "yeah they come in from the field " that was it. Will not stay here again.

livingston, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was adequate. The bed was comfy, and clean and the room had a large screen TV. The carpet had a slick feel to it and although it was vacuumed, it was dirty. I walked on it after my bath and the bottoms of my feet started turning black, so I had to wash them and just wore flipflops the whole time. Had to ask for more towels both nights for two 6 y/o's and two adults and we did not swim, just needed towels enough for each person to have their own towel and washcloth. No refrigerator or microwave in the room, which is not a big deal, but would be helpful to note for families with children. Breakfast was adequate, but skimpy. A/C good and cold. All in all, it was OK, but for the price we paid, $87 a night, we could have gotten something a bit nicer. If the price were lower, and I just needed a room for the night, I would stay again, as the rest of the room was clean. We have always relied on La Quinta, but this one was by far not the best one. There is a Super HEB and a Super Walmart very close by and the staff had excellent directions to both stores printed up and available in the lobby. Staff was courteous. Close to Ft. Sam Houston Military Base so that made it convenient for us.

Room Tip: No microwave or refrigerator.