“Dirty, damp, smells not worth $100 stay elswehere” 1 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn San Antonio Market Square
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Dolorosa St, San Antonio, TX 78207-4540   |
Ranked #107 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
andrews,tx
“Dirty, damp, smells not worth $100 stay elswehere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Wow what a disappointment, the room was old with warn carpets and a run down bathroom. Although I could of put up with that if it wasn't so damp and smelly. Everything in the room was damp and all our clothes in the wardrobe became damp and smellt. The gap under the door was a couple of inches so the room had cockroaches coming into it. I've stayed in some better hostels than this. The breakfast was okay and the location is close to the riverwalk. I'm amazed that they charge $100+ per night for it - trust me it's poor.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We have stayed at all three LQs near the River Walk and this location is our favorite. It was looking well worn but it has been refurbished. Our room was updated with new beds and furnishings. This location is right across the street from the Market, but you will have to walk at least four or five blocks to the RiverWalk (it is an easy walk). The doors to the rooms open to the outside. It has always felt safe, although I have never stayed on the "backside". Pet friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We had 3 rooms booked, so I can say that my review is consistent for all 3 rooms. In fairness, there were a few positive points:
* very good location; right across the street from the Market Square and within walking distance (although it is probably a good mile) to the Riverwalk. It is also on the bus/trolley route to the River Walk if walking that distance is a problem.
* the parking is free
* the free breakfast was not great - but it was free food to start your day
* the free internet service, and it worked by the pool area too

Here are the negatives:
-The rooms are small and the furnishings very dated and dirty.
-The bathroom is so tiny that you almost have to stand on the toilet or in the tub in order to close the door. Definitely not for the claustrophobic!
-The rooms are the dirtiest, filthiest rooms I have EVER stayed in. The floors/carpets were so dirty that if you walked 5 steps in socks or barefoot, the bottom of your feet were literally black.
-The sink and tub were never wiped out or cleaned the entire 3 nights we stayed there.
-The coffee products were never restocked once used on the first morning.
-The amount of hair in the bathroom was absolutely disgusting!

For $100 per night, it is absolutely NO value. The only thing you are paying for is the location to the market square, which isn't that spectacular. Bottom line: This hotel is definitely NOT up to La Quinta standards.

Oh, and one other tip: if you decide to order pizza to be delivered from your hotel room, don't order from Chicago. Horrible service, messed up order, and double the delivery time quoted!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Arlington TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Short 6 day getaway with my 8 yr old daughter over Christmas break. We live in Arlington TX. We went down to do the Riverwalk. I've stayed at other hotels there and none are as surprisingly great as this one! This one is right on the Market Square. Fantastic shopping and great food. Entertainment and portrait painting. Desserts and souvenirs. I didn't realize it was a hop and skip next to Market Square. And then two hops and skips next to beautiful red antique trolley stop that you take 3 blocks (3 minutes) to Downtown Riverwalk. I've paid $300 night to stay right on riverwalk and I wasn't impressed. I paid less than $90 a night at this La Quinta and had a blast.

We brought our two cats with us and were allowed to stay per La Quinta's pet policy. We rose every morning to free coffee in our room and free coffee and hot waffles and breakfast in the lobby. Great parking. FREE Wi-Fi. Awesome customer service. Clean rooms.

All in all, I will absolutely be staying here again when we come to SATX!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Pasadena, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My husband and i stayed here for sping break w- our 3 kids. We originally booked for 2 nights, but checked out after the first. We would have left as soon as seeing the room, but every hotel in the downtown area was booked. The rooms smell like mildew. There was pubic hair on the toilet and in the bath tub. The carpet turns your socks black. There was a strange looking beetle type bug in the bed ( we found in the morning) .that's the picture. Everyone was sick the next morning after breathing in the moldy ac air. The trees all around the propety were filled with birds which pooped all over everyone's cars and the parking lot. this place was disgusting. I think all the "cleaning people" do is take out the trash and make up the beds.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

WE stayed here 5 nights including a weekend. Breakfast was busy on the weekends but overall this was very good value stay. Walked to Riverwalk area several times and felt quite safe, particularly if you get onto the riverside walk as soon as possible. Easy to get to and easy to get to Missions by car.

• Stayed February 2009
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

BEWARE the location of your specific La Quinta!
There are 4 other La Quinta Inns in like a 6-block radius.

There's nothing impressive about the hotel or the rooms. Since I stayed by myself in the hotel room, I was given the handicap room. (2 doors away from the lobby, wheelchair ramp in front of the room, HUGE bathroom [but no bathtub], and plenty of walking space in the room itself). Employees were pretty friendly and accomodating, decent service.

The room wasn't impeccably clean, but I felt comfortable staying in it. The bed was a queen size and was fairly comfortable. I slept well and was consoled by the gazillion pillows on the bed. I liked the channels the tv received, a marathon of CSI, NCIS, and Friends kept me pretty entertained late at night. No microwave or refrigerator in the room. The bathroom was pretty large -to accomodate wheelchairs- however, the because of the handicap room, the shower only had a small ramp to separate the bathroom floor from the shower floor (which eventually flooded my bathroom every shower I took). I used my towels to dry the floor and still had enough towels to dry myself. Housekeeping did come in to dry up the flood and restock my towels.

The continental breakfast is served from 6-9am. Boiled eggs, juice, cereals, and individually wrapped muffins.. make your own judgment. A plus was the waffle maker, you can make yourself yummy, fluffy waffles in the shape of Texas!

A bigger plus was the fact that Market Square was literally across the street. My boyfriend and I had dinner at La Tierra which was absolutely delicious. Also, just a 10 minute walk to the Riverwalk and the Alamo.

Overall, okay service, okay room, okay stay. It satisfied what I needed, which was simply a clean place to sleep at night.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn San Antonio Market Square? Share your experiences!