“Early check-in!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   303 Blum, San Antonio, TX 78205-3303 (Formerly La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Convention Cntr)   |
Ranked #74 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

On my recent trip to San Antonio, Texas, I chose to stay at the LQ Convention Center location, because of the location. The river walk is a few blocks away and it is so centrally located that I thought it would be a great idea to stay at this particular hotel.
Everything was fine, until morning at breakfast. The lobby area where breakfast was served was consumed with the most foul odor. We were unable to eat our breakfast and had to go to Denny's next door. When I mentioned this to the desk clerk, he claimed that he could not smell anything. So many people were complaining about the same situation. Unless this problem is resolved, I will not consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The staff was very courteous; room was a king suite, which was nice and clean. Great location across the street from the River Walk and the mall. Great views of the Alamodome, Towers of the Americas. And best of all for us, La Quinta took our large pets (80-95 lbs.) and had an area to walk them. We really appreciated the accommodation for our pets and will be on our radar for future trips.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Everything about this location is wonderful! Just blocks from the riverwalk, Alamo & everything else San Antonio has to offer! The check in & check out process is quick & the staff are always super kind & friendly! The rooms & bathrooms are always fresh & clean! We stay here every time we are in San Antonio.....its awesome! The only down is that it cost extra for parking which you have to do......parking in San Antonio in general is a mess! :D

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Waco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had an enjoyable stay. Not sure that I would stay here again. It was very crowded and breakfast time was a nightmare-- we didn't stay and try to fight the crowds. Breakfast is served until 9:30am on Saturday-- a little early to stop with that many people. The pool area was always crowded and the lobby floor stayed wet most of the time by the door. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. Had a bar which was nice. Valet parking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manahawkin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

On a recent visit to San Antonio for a business, I opted to extend my stay by 1 night and experience the La Quinta Inn & Suites for the first time. I was very impressed! The hotel, opened around 2005, is a new construction hotel built near the former site of the very first La Quinta Motor Inn (opened in 1968 for the HemisFair). You can read all about the brand history through a mural of collected artifacts of the last 40 plus years on display at this hotel. It was really a pleasant surprise.

Upon arrival, I was checked in by a friendly but busy front desk staff. My room was ready early, so I had time to settle in and enjoy the expansive pool area and hot tub. It was mid afternoon on a bright sunny Friday, but only a handful of people enjoying the pool. The area was fresh and clean, and the water sparkling! My room was on the 14th floor (of 15), but with plenty of fast moving elevators, there was rarely a wait. The suite was spacious, clean and cool. The bed was extremely comfortable and everything was in working order. The TV service features a really nice bonus – several channels of “ambient choices”! A great way to relax. The room included a work desk, free Wi-Fi (although slow), and a coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Bathroom amenities were basic, as expected for a limited service hotel. The hotel features a rare option for La Quinta – a lounge area with light menu. I enjoyed a glass of wine before retiring, but opted for dinner at one of the many restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel.

Although I knew it would be chaotic on a Saturday morning, I decided to experience the free breakfast. It was indeed ridiculously busy, a reason why free breakfast has little value to me, a single traveler in this case. I imagine it would have been far more pleasant during the business week. The dining area and lobby however were very inviting. Not flying out until later, the hotel happily held my bags for me while I explored the city once more before leaving. Check-out was slow because the front desk is always busy, and often multitasking by also taking reservations. The hotel is directly across the street from the RiverCenter Mall, and about a block from the River Walk itself. You’re less than a ½ mile from the Alamo, Convention Center and Zoo – in other words, a great location and good value in downtown San Antonio! Upon departure, the Bell Staff quickly and politely gathered my bags and called a cab. Overall, a great first experience with La Quinta, and I would definitely recommend the Convention Center location for midweek business travel, families, and easy access to many of the Downtown offerings.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had our family reunion at this hotel in the middle of July. We stayed in a "suite", and paid a lower rate because of our family reunion coordinator got us a "group discount".. For where the hotel is located (not on the Riverwalk-- although it is close by), and the fact that it is a average hotel, I thought the "discounted rate" was too expensive! No way would I ever pay the "regular rate" to stay there. There are NICER hotels on the Riverwalk for the same cost or less!

Anyway, I will start with the good:

1. The room was clean when we first arrived.
2. There were two staff members that I had interactions with that were very kind and helpful.

Unfortunately, That's pretty much all I can say that was good about my stay.

The bad:
1. Most of the front desk staff was unpleasant. Wasn't greeted with a smile at anytime I went to the front desk.
2. Bad communication. I asked for "late check-out" the day before we were supposed to check out. Normal check-out is at noon. Late check-out is a 1pm. It was approved. The day we were to check-out, a man with a clipboard that was staff at the hotel came banging on our door at 12:01pm. I answered it and he asked why we had not checked out yet as check-out was a noon. I told him I asked for late check out and it had been approved. He just said "oh" and turned around walked out. No apology or anything.
3. I will NEVER stay at another hotel that allows pets. I like animals don't get me wrong, but for the price and having to dodge dog poop inside and outside of the hotel was totally disgusting.
4. Because the hotel says "Convention Center" in the name, I thought it was connected or close to the convention center. Um... no... it is not. Not even close enough to walk to. So that is just false advertising.
5. We were there for 4 nights & 5 days and our room was not fully cleaned after we arrived. The bed was made and we were given new towels, but that's about it. The trash wasn't emptied for 3 days & I had to ask specifically for that to occur.

I could go on, but I'd rather not write a book. Don't stay here. If you are going to San Antonio, stay in a better hotel ON the Riverwalk for the same price!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk? Share your experiences!