“Best room on the Riverwalk” 5 of 5 stars

Omni La Mansion del Rio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   112 College St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
PA
“Best room on the Riverwalk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in April '09. This is a lovely four star hotel with a warm and inviting decor and friendly staff. (The Watermark, directly across, is also owned by Omni, but has a modern decor. We found it to have a 'cold' feel about it so we were happy we chose La Mansion.) What made our trip perfect was upgrading to the river view room. (We had a complimentary upgrade certificate through their Select Guest program. You get one just for signing up.) We were on the 1st floor with a private balcony only feet from the river, perfect for people watching. I saw that not all balconies were private. Some were accessed by 2 rooms with no divider, but I would have been happy with that as well, because we rarely saw anyone using them. I would definitely stay here if I return to San Antonio, and I will recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This is definitely THE place to stay if you're looking to be ON TOP of the River walk. Our room had a balcony overlooking the river and all of the action.

The room itself was beautiful, clean, and very comfortable. The staff were all very very friendly. We were even given a nice room upgrade at check in.

I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Eatontown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

"The coffee pots are a pain in the * to use" as one reviewer said, but that's my ONLY quibble.

It is centrally located, historic, has a great staff, amenities, a comfortable room with more than ample AC (don't let the other reviewer fool you) - I was upgraded to a King Premier with a shared balcony overlooking the Riverwalk - everything I had requested prior to arrival was in the room and ready to go.

The food I didn't eat at La Mansion but I did eat at the bar at Pesca across the footbridge in the Watermark (La Mansion's sister hotel) which you can charge to your room as well as their award winning spa...excellent.

If you are looking for old school San Antone class in the old St. Mary's College, then go.

It is not the Grand Hyatt, it isn't modern or flashy or big, but it is a beauty, and I will be back.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Keller
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The hotel was nice. We stayed in a room overlooking the pool which was nice. Our only complaint was the air conditioning. The room would not cool! We changed rooms, and still had the same issue. The air conditioning needs to be updated. We would stay there again as long as it was not in the summer! We've stayed at nicer on the riverwalk, and will most likely stay at one of those hotels next time. If you do stay at this hotel, make sure to park across the street in the parking garage. Valet is $30 a day, and the parking garage only charges $7.50 a day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I don't even know where to begin with the Omni, it was just amazing 2 nights! Clean rooms, the best service staff, eveyrone was so pleasant and helpful, awesome pool, goodie bags for kids when we checked in! We brought guests to this hotel and it made our stay even more memorable by staying at such a wonderful place. The best part was it's right on the Riverwalk and did I mention the staff was truly amazing!! I would recommend this place to everyone!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Houston Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on vacation during the month of June. Out of all the Omni hotels we’ve visited, this one was the best. The room was clean and included a mini-bar and a 32 inch flat panel TV. All rooms have a balcony however most are shared / common space. The hotel sits on the river walk not far from all the famous restaurants and attractions. Across the street is the famous Majestic Theater so catch a play if you’re in town. Also across the river walk is the River Boat Cruise and Hard Rock Café.

I have only three complaints about this hotel.
1) The elevators are too slow for a hotel of this size.
2) On our departure it took thirty minutes for the bellman to arrive
3) The hotel valet parking is too high ($30 per night + Tips)

My advice if you stay – park across the street in the city garage for only $7 per day.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We have just returned from a long weekend at La Mansion in which we met up with our daughter. We have been staying here for the last 20 years and I will have to honestly say that things were just not as sharp as they used to be since Omni took over. There was no one large incident that happened, but rather a collection of small infractions that took away from our stay. I will try to list them, and some have been confirmed by other reviewers.
As we arrived and were unloading our car a bellhop finally came up and mentioned our luggage, but the way he said it made us think that it would really be an inconvenience if we asked him to take them to our room. (I'm thinking, ok, it's unseasonably hot and he is busy, so I can live with this) We check in and everything is fine, we get the room we requested. Then we head to the elevator, which by the way is very slow, and as we are waiting for the elevator we darn near get run over by a bellhop with a luggage car, as he races into the elevator before us. (Now I am getting a little annoyed) Get to the room and start to unpack and then noticed that the bathroom could be a little cleaner. All this time I am telling myself to relax, I'm on vacation) So I head down to the gift shop to get a coke (on June 25 it's about 101 degrees) and as I am walking in I am told that I have to come back in 15 minutes as they are having a shift change. What???? I go sit and down and proceed to wait and start to talk to the concierge and ask her about the Omni taking over and the experiences I have had in the last 30 minutes. She immediately leaves and gets me a coke and has Grant Farber, the asst front office manager, come and talk to me. He was sincerely apologetic, asked me to report any other problems, and offered us a very generous, complimentary dinner at Las Canarias. Mr. Farber couldn't of been nicer nor more professional. Just for the record, I really do hate to complain, for fear that someone will think I am fishing for a free dinner.
The rest of the vacation was great. Right on the Riverwalk with a view and our private balcony, my husband thought the pool was refreshing (though wished they didn't allow smoking there) and their Sunday brunch is excellent. When we went to Las Canarias(the food is 5 star), they actually knew we were coming and had an inside riverview table waiting for us, as well as when we went to brunch. The staff at the restaurant couldn't be better.
Yes there are things that could be better, like the coffee pots are a pain in the * to use, the showerhead isn't the greatest ,they are a little stingy on the amenities in the bathroom, the elevators are a little slow and there are only two (I wish they would have the staff use the one that is near the restaurant), but I figure it could be worse and besides I was on vacation, not there for the shampoo and lotion.
This is a great building with a lot of history, as it is the site of the old St Mary's College, and it certainly has an old San Antonio character that you will not find at any other hotel! You can always stay at a Hilton, Marriott, etc and they all feel the same, but not at the La Mansion. I will always return here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Omni La Mansion del Rio? Share your experiences!