“Highly Recommend this Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Omni La Mansion del Rio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   112 College St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Big Spring, United States
“Highly Recommend this Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel is amazing from the location to the employees working. This is the second time to stay in this hotel on a vacation and the experience was even better the second time. I also highly recommend the Sunday brunch!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
La Vernia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We enjoyed our experience and we will will return one day soon. The location was ideal for us as we were attending a concert at the Majestic. The decor and ambiance of the Hotel is worth a mention. Well done!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

First, let me say this is not a terrible hotel and also add that there are no 5 star hotels is San Antonio. Now, why one star? Simply stated, I stay on the river in San Antonio very often (about 24 nights per year over the past 20 years) and the rating that La Mansion currently has is not in keeping with the reality of comparable hotels on the Riverwalk. I suspect that the bulk of people staying at La Mansion are vacationers with no experience at the other hotels and give unrealistically high ratings based on their overall stay. The Riverwalk is a great destination and it will leave a positive experience no matter where you stay.

The Omni La Mansion is an old hotel with some charm, but it has fallen into disrepair and neglect. The staff is excellent but the rooms are no longer what they were at one time. If you do not get a room on the river, at a premium, you will look out you window to a parking garage. Regardless of room location, the rooms show excess wear and tear, poor ventilation, limited internet connectivity and no sound insulation (very important on the Riverwalk). They always manage to not deliver on their loyalty program, Select Guest. Any special arrangements are bungled and your “privileges” are not delivered. So don't rely on their Select Guest representative. On one of my stays, I had three adjacent rooms and left a message with the Select Guest rep that I wanted 8 wine glasses between the three rooms. She left a message on my cell phone stating that they did not allow parties and that only two guest could be in any one room at a time. I wonder why they had four chairs in the suite I was in once? I guess families are not welcome.

If you can get a room at La Mansion for $150, I think you will be pleased, otherwise, stay at one of the other hotels with a 4/5 star rating. The bottom line is that for the money, this hotel is a bust. In my experience, for charm and location, consider the Valencia or the Contessa. You can't go wrong with the Mokara if you want something approaching a 5 star hotel. The two Marriotts are your best bets for staying for conventions, as they are close to the conventions center and deliver a first class experience and meals. The Palacio Del Rio and Hyatt Regency are both nice hotels with a location convenient to river activities and the convention center. There are any number of lesser rated hotels in the sub-$160 range that deliver a lot for the money.

You might ask why I stay at La Mansion. One reason only. When the weather is nice, they have balconies that you can go out on to get some fresh air and watch the people on the river, which I like. But unless you know which rooms to get, you are likely to get one of the balconies that is too small to even turn around on.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
John W, General Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Wayne:
While we certainly appreciate your review, we would respectfully disagree with your assertion that there are "better options".

You are correct that La Mansion is a historic hotel, and as such the style of our property is most definitely unique, with a Spanish Colonial design and color palette that makes for a romantic setting. The vast majority of our guests appreciate the design and feel of our property, as they believe the hotel feels like San Antonio, and has an authenticity and "soul" that is unmatched on the riverwalk. We have invested millions of dollars over the past few years to renovate our rooms, install sound insulation, a more robust wireless internet system, high definition television, etc., to insure that our property is constantly improving.

The maintenance of our property, our attention to personalized service and the highest quality of food and beverage service is, and has always been, a priority for our associates. That we may have fallen short of your expectations in July is truly regrettable, and I sincerely apologize that we let you down.

We will take your review, as we do all of our reviews, as reminder that we must work hard every day to improve our hotel for you, and our other future guests at La Mansion del Rio.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Omni la mansion is our favorite place to stay while in San Antonio. We have stayed here several times, and will continue to in the future. It is a beautiful, clean hotel with great access to the river walk. Great valet accommodations. Would recommend!

• Stayed November 2013
mission, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels during my lifetime and the Omni hotel & resort in San Antonio Texas is in the top of my list. Main reason I love this place is the ease of having any request at immediate disposal from express check-in, express checkout, room service at any time of the day or night, baggage handling from room to vehicle with the ease of picking up the phone. Every stay by the time I'm ready to check out I just pick up the phone talk to the front desk my bags are picked up in my room, and my truck is ready in the front entrance for me just to get in and go. It is a very comforting feel and makes me want to go back every single time I'm in San Antonio.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

A carachter hotel with excellent amenities and with friendly efficient staff. Location is excellent as the rear backs on to the Riverwalk with plenty bars and a wide choice oif restaurants. Rooms are pleasant with everything required for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Tyler, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a trip to San Antonio for a wedding. This was the hotel used by family and friends of the couple. The hotel is directly on the River Walk. The staff were very friendly and competent. The room, while not large, was very clean and comfortable. The closet was somewhat small for a couple with the several changes of clothes a wedding and surrounding events requires. However, this was a very minor factor. La Mansion Del Rio is not a newer hotel. However, it is very well maintained. Our room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel. Everything worked as it should and the service was excellent. Some of our party complained about noisy neighbors coming in well after mid-night and hall doors slamming for a couple of hours. This was not a problem for us, but it must be remembered where this hotel is located-on the River Walk, where not only does the river flow freely but the alcohol as well. My only criticism would be the $31 a day valet parking. That is a bit steep, but I paid it for the security of hotel parking. Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay. If you wish to experience San Antonio's River Walk, this is a very good choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Lucie A, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear John H.,

We are so glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience in our home.

We take a lot of pride in the service we provide and are happy to hear you felt our hospitality professionals were both friendly and competent.

Our housekeeping team works very hard to keep our historic home in tip top shape therefore also very glad to see that you experienced some of our best work in cleanliness.

On your next visit, please do not hesitate to request a room with a larger closet or larger room in general. Due to the fact that we are a hotel dating back to 1968 with portions dating even further to 1852, we have over 30 different room types.

We look forward to welcoming you back to San Antonio on your next visit.

Lucie A.

Been to Omni La Mansion del Rio? Share your experiences!