“Really like this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Omni La Mansion del Rio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   112 College St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
“Really like this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great location. Cool rooms with the brick walls. I prefer the riverwalk suites. Not sure I would like a room off of the river (never tried it). Great staff. Very friendly and helpful. Did I mention great location?

Room Tip: Go riverwalk.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Friendswood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a first time visit to La Mansion for my husband and myself. With four children, we wanted a couple's getaway to spend some alone time together. Unfortunately, we only had one night to do so. That being said, I researched for the most romantic hotel I could find on the Riverwalk. I've always wanted to stay at the La Mansion, as it seems like such a historic and romantic hotel/location. My advice is to really listen to the reviews - they are not exaggerating. I had high expections of the service at the hotel because of the reviews I had read. We parked at Riverbend Garage garage on E. Commerce for $15 vs. $35 that the hotel charges - keep in mind that we did not have in/out privileges that the hotel offers. We wanted a relaxing stay with walks on the riverwalk, so in/out privileges were not important to our visit. The moment we walked up with our luggage, I felt like we were treated as second class citizens. I assume it was because we walked up, vs. driving up. I get the feeling that the valets resent this because it means there won't be a tip. We saw several guests walking with their luggage to other garages when we checked out. So we are not the only ones to do this - as a matter of fact - it's because of the reviews I read online about Omni's high valet fees that convinced me to not park at La Mansion's garage. If Omni had competitive rates with the other surrounding garages, we would have been happy to use their garage and would have tipped their valets accordingly. When we walked up, we were asked our names - while still standing in the garage. Keep in mind we are sweating from the heat/fumes in the garage. We were never ushered into the lobby. I was told told that they needed my ID. While I totally understand and appreciate the need for security and proof of the guest's identity, I felt that a warm greeting before "business" would have been appropriate. Being we were first time guests, it was a complete turnoff. I assume the valet caught the look I gave my husband, because out of the blue he turned a 180 and was Mr. Manners. All of a sudden we got a smile and questions asking where we were from, restaurant locations, etc. Too late. I was flabbergasted because of all the wonderful reviews I had read about their customer service. Next thing you know, we have our room key, while still standing in the garage, and are on our way to our room - still had not even seen the lobby. Melting from the heat at this point. Speaking of heat..... Every review that you read about the warmth of the rooms is accurate. I realize this hotel is old, however, for being the class of hotel it is, and the room rates they charge, there is no excuse for the high temps. in the hallways. I was literally breaking a sweat every time we left our room before we even got to the first floor. (I am 5'4", and weigh 135# - and exercise regularly- so weight is not an issue here). The room itself is comfortable, however, when we retired for the evening, the room was very, very, warm. We had the thermostat at the lowest it would go - to 60 - but it was doing nothing to cool down our moderate sized room. We fell asleep without any covers, and finally, at about 3am, had to pull the sheets/blanket over us as the room was finally cooling down. We were on the 7th floor, and if you are facing the riverwalk, we were in the left wing of the hotel. They don't tell you that if you are in the left wing - you have to walk through/across the garage to get to the lobby/swimming pool/and riverwalk entrance. Back and forth in your swimsuit/cover up walking past valets and cars crossing back and forth in front of you. My image of romance at this hotel kind of got squashed pretty quickly. The few times we crossed through the lobby, we were once acknowledged by two men in suits who held the door open for us. The rest of the time, no one, including the front desk staff, ever acknowledged our presence. Not that this is a negative, I only mention it because of all of the rave reviews of how the staff is always going out of their way to greet guests, etc. It just didn't happen in our case. We will try a different hotel for our next visit and will pay close attention to all of the pros and cons in the reviews that we read.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
John W, General Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear FWfamily90:
Thank you for staying with us, and for your detailed observations regarding your visit. First, please accept my sincere apologies for your “average experience”. We sincerely strive to deliver exceptionally memorable experiences to all of our guests. I will review your comments, from the less than enthusiastic welcome you describe, to the guestroom air conditioning issue, with our team and assure you we will correct any issues of this type.
I also want to note that our property is a bit different from others in San Antonio. We are the historic location of St. Mary’s Catholic School, with the building that houses our lobby being built in 1852. In fact, the hotel is a Hacienda style building, which means we have corridors and courtyards on either side of the parking garage. Our elevators are located in four different locations of the former campus and they certainly could not be described as high speed. Luckily for us, the majority of the hotel is only 6 stories high, and seven stories on one small wing. The trade off for these physical traits is a property that feels like a Spanish hacienda and represents the cultural landscape of San Antonio and the Paseo del Rio better than any other hotel in our city. It also allows us to have beautiful courtyards and the best views of the riverwalk in town.
We truly regret that we missed the mark in delivering you an authentic San Antonio experience, and commit that we will continue to work at improving our service and friendliness to achieve our goal of exceeding our guest’s expectations.
Rusty Wallace
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place is all about location, location, location.. It's right on the river walk and surrounded by lots of restaurants (it's easy to spend a day or two just wondering around the river walk). The building itself is beautiful and it's Spanish looks epitomize San Antonio. We had a lovely sized room and the service was fantastic, valet parking was handy in central location. The breakfast was great and the pool is a great bonus to cool off in after a hot summer's day. Would stay here again without fail.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denham Springs, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at the Omni the weekend our Grandson graduated from Basic Military Training at Lackland Air Force Base in July.
Check in went very quickly and we were given the opportunity to upgrade to a room overlooking the Riverwalk. It was beautiful to sit out on the balcony early in the morning or late in the evenings and enjoy the scenery and people as it is located in a very nice area of the Riverwalk, close to where the tour boats load and many nice restaurants.
This worked out very well for us as our Grandson got to spend some time away from Base on Friday and Saturday, and it gave us a place to relax and visit as well as the Riverwalk to explore and eat at.
The room was a very nice size and the king bed very comfortable. Our two younger grandsons were very comfortable on the pull out couch and loved watching Sponge Bob being showed at the Swimming Pool one evening.
All the staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome.
We will be back for our next visit to San Antonio!

Room Tip: We were in room 629 and LOVED IT, overlooking the Riverwalk. The bathroom has a separate shower and...
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The staff and hotel are beautiful!! My daughter's wedding was a beautiful and almost effortless event with the banquet and hotel staff! From a spilled bottle of orange nail polish to a wedding reception in El Capistranio - all with ease and beauty. The staff offered suggestions and were there even when I didn't see them making sure things ran smoothly. The courtyard was a bit loud for the ceremony but who can control road noise? The accommodations were absolutely beautiful. The rooms, over 17, were all great. The hotel is older but the staff make up for that a million times over. The balcony rooms are worth the extra money as we enjoyed looking down on the riverwalk and enjoying the music and happiness as everyone celebrated life below. If your planning a wedding or anniversary party.....this is the place!!

Leetonia, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was here for the International Reading Association annual conference in April 2013. The hotel was packed but everyone was still able to make it a pleasant stay. I arrived at 1:30 AM and check-in took about 5 minutes. My room was very comfortable - 2 double beds overlooking the courtyard. I felt that all the hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. I did eat dessert at the bar one night and it was quite delicious. The pool was relaxing. I never used a cab because everything I wanted to see was within walking distance (even the convention center wasn't too far of a walk). All the excitement of The Riverwalk is right out the door! The Alamo is within walking distance. The elevators are old and slow, so I ended up using the stairs more often than not. If I were to go to San Antonio again, I would stay here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pearland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Staying at the Omni would have been a complete fabulous experience!!!! I felt so welcomed by all the employees I came in conact with. Employees went out of there way to speak to me in the halls, lobby, elevators etc. The location on the river is a dream. The hotel is beautiful. My bed was a double and for 2 adults, was a bad idea.....why not queens Omni? There was only a king size option but, traveling with a kid, we needed the 2 double beds. The bed was also much to be desired however, this could be due to the fact I have an ultra fabulous bed at home. With all this being said, I would stay elsewhere during the summer. It's simply too hot for a good nights sleep. When we entered the room, the thermostat was set on 68. We promptly lowered it to 60 and the temperature never lowered in our room the entire stay. I had to keep the blinds drawn the entire time in hopes the room would cool enough for a night sleep....never happened. I firmly believe, there is a centrally controlled thermostat that stays on 68. I think the one on the wall in the rooms is just for show. I absolutely would stay here again in the cooler months however, I will not stay again in the summer months.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Omni La Mansion del Rio? Share your experiences!