“Beautiful hotel in the perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Omni La Mansion del Rio
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   112 College St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #14 of 352 hotels in San Antonio
Bedford, Massachusetts
“Beautiful hotel in the perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family has been visiting San Antonio for over 20 years, and on our most recent trip, we booked the Mansion del Rio. I was delighted and surprised by the staff's attention and beauty of the rooms. The valet chatted with my kids, who have never been to SA before, and gave them each little backpacks with water, treats, games, etc. The front desk clerk honored my request to have my parents' room as close to ours as possible (one room separating, since there are no adjoining double rooms on the property).

The rooms were very beautiful and spacious, and we really enjoyed the semi-private balconies overlooking the river. The hotel is thoughtful enough to provide a sound machine in every room, since the Riverwalk can be noisy, although we didn't need it. We were right in my favorite part of the river, across from County Line BBQ and a few steps away from Rio Rio. Las Canarias in the hotel had a very good breakfast buffet, and it was reasonably priced (as far as such things go).

The only downside to this property was that the lighting was a little too dim, especially in the bathroom. I kept wanting to make it brighter, but there weren't enough lights to achieve that. It was a nice touch that the bedside lamps had dimmers, which allowed us to keep the lights on but low when the kids went to sleep but we weren't ready to turn in yet.

Room Tip: Riverwalk rooms can be noisy, but the view is worth it, and the rooms have sound machines to mask th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1,530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was very impressed with La Mansion on this trip. I walked in and there was agua fresca available. Our room was very impressive, clean, large, and comfortable. The only thing I would have liked was to have the view of the River Walk, which many of the others in our party had. I would request a room in the main town next time. Also, I made sure to sign up for the Select Customer program ahead of time, but was never asked about a member number. Those who did give them their information were given little surprises along the way... I wish I had thought about it. I would definitely stay here again. The staff were all very helpful and the place was very clean. The pool was also nice and refreshing in the evenings before bed.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the riverwalk or in the main tower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Clovis, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed here for a weekend.

The location was ideal, right in the middle of the riverwalk.

The hotel staff was attentive, friendly, and very well trained. From the valet service to the front desk to housekeeping, the entire staff amazed us with their hospitality. You feel welcomed here. BEST HOTEL STAFF anywhere we have stayed and we have stayed at plenty of hotels around the world and in the states. Even when we were coming back to our room at night, housekeeping realized we had a child and we were going into our room. She stopped us and asked, "Oh no, you are in 211? I mixed the rooms up and forgot his (my son's) milk and cookie." My husband and I told her not to worry and joked he doesn't need the sugar anyway. She insisted to get him his nightly treat and within minutes came to our door with milk and cookies for our son. My son felt so special that someone made a fuss over him. Truly this hotel values all the guests staying here from children to the adults. Their efforts are noticed and is the reason why this hotel is exceptional!

The property itself has a mission-style charm. The pool area is clean and enjoyable. The rooms are a little small for my liking with a child (we stayed in the King Deluxe room); however, they were clean, well kept and accommodated our family just fine.

My only complaint about this hotel is the elevator takes awhile.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel was extremely nice and in a social area of the Riverwalk. The atmosphere is very warm and inviting. We stayed in a deluxe suite which was quite spacious. The room had 2 balconies: one into the courtyard and one to the street. Since we faced the street there was quite a bit of street noise but the room contained a white noise machine to block much of this noise. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the bathroom toiletries smelled lovely. The location was great providing access to both the Riverwalk and near by attractions. Valet parking for the hotel is $35 per night but there is a parking garage directly across the street for $9 per day. Every hotel employee we can across asked how we were doing and if we needed anything. This showed the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielDelk, Manager at Omni La Mansion del Rio, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted to hear your experience was so wonderful on so many levels and we definitely look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Omni La Mansion is one of my all time favorite Hotels. Having stayed many places across the country I continue to LOVE the La Mansion. The Hotel has so much history behind it and the atmosphere is just wonderful. The ENTIRE staff at La Mansion is nothing but the best and will go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The rooms that over look the river are spectacular. The access to the River Walk is so easy and you are in the heart of everything that is San Antonio. I cannot say enough good about this hotel or their staff. I would definately recommend a stay here to anyone visiting San Antonio.

Room Tip: The rooms on the river with balconies are AWESOME.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your feedback and we are honored to be one of your all time favorite hotels! We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio and we are pleased the entire staff always provides such memorable experiences. We will ensure your kind words make it back to the team and we definitely look forward welcoming you back very soon!
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I took my mom here over Memorial Day weekend for her 70th birthday. Neither of us had been to San Antonio, we wanted to stay on the River Walk and I found a stellar deal for this property, so we went with it. I must confess, San Antonio turned out not to be my type of town - it's incredibly humid (this was the weekend with the super rains/flooding, so I asked some hotel staff if it was always this humid - they said yes!) and the River Walk was packed like sardines in a can with *many* smokers in the mix - but the Omni La Mansion was a treat, and a nice respite/retreat from the hectic pace outside.

First, they are pet-friendly (yay!) with a one-time fee of $50, not terrible for a high-end hotel. At check-in, the attendant asked if we were there for a special occasion - I told him the details, and he had the kitchen send up 3 complimentary individual birthday cakes with 3 milks: one for mom, one for me and one for my dog! (They were chocolate, so the little honey didn't get more than a small bite, but the gesture was sweet.) The hotel staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Example: we arrived at 11:30pm - about 2 hrs off target due to torrential rains on the trip down - and our valet was so nice, he offered to valet park us for free that night because we were tired and the day was almost over anyway. We got a room that opened out to the courtyard facing Navarro St, but because we requested a higher floor on advice from other tripadvisor reviews, the noise wasn't a huge problem (and it does get noisy on the River Walk & nearby streets on the weekend). I really liked the room - it was well-appointed, clean and depicted the property's rich history as a 19th century boys school/college with wooden ceiling beams and a brick wall (may have been original, may have been subsequent cosmetic updates, but very charming either way). The building design overall is Spanish Colonial.

We got just the standard-size room with two doubles, which accommodated us perfectly but may be a bit snug if you have more than 2 in your party. One thing that made me laugh was that the bathroom door had <1" clearance from the toilet when opening! Water was slightly soft (I'm not a fan of soft water) but not problematic.

As a note, I was concerned after reading one review that complained that to get to their room they had 'walk back through the garage' to get to it - do not worry about this. The valet/porting area is located in the middle of the building, and there is a wing of the hotel on each side of this. We too had to walk across this area to get to our room, but it's actually a beautiful, well-lit, well-attended area no more than maybe 100' in length? I'm not the best judge of distance in feet, but it's short and no problem to walk across at all. As a note, you can valet park your car with the hotel with no charge for exit/re-entry during the day (I think it was $36 per day), but there is a self-park garage just across the street you can park in for ~$20 - they do charge for re-entry if you leave though. We used the latter option for the balance of the stay and while it was cheaper, the parking spots are tight, and let's just say it's not the prettiest garage I've ever seen.

There is a newer and more expensive Omni just across the River Walk from this Omni (the fitness center & rooftop pool servicing both hotels is located on the top floor over there) - while I can't comment on a stay experience there (and may not return to San Antonio for the opportunity, ha!), I can say the Omni La Mansion del Rio was an excellent choice and am glad we picked it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper-level floor to avoid River Walk & street noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a moment to submit feedback from your recent stay at our property and we know other potential guests will appreciate your detailed review as well. We are very pleased you found the location to be so ideal and that you considered your stay to be such a wonderful retreat! We hope if you do ever reconsider another trip to San Antonio, you will choose to stay at the Omni La Mansion del Rio again.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I chose to stay at the Omni because I have previously stayed at the brand and was impressed. I took vacation in san Antonio the week of July 4. My husband also stayed at the Omni, but in a different room with several teen boys chaperoning for a youth trip.
Pros: Staff and service are excellent. It's so important to have good service at a hotel and Omni provides this. The front desk was very helpful and insisted on helping with my bags even though I declined assistance. The room was spacious and clean. My room did not face the riverwalk but did have a terrace to walk out on that overlooked the courtyard. Las Canarias has an extensive breakfast buffet with hot sausage, eggs, potatoes and some other hot options with tortilla chips and some very delicious French toast. The car valet service was johnny on the spot. I have stayed at hotels where they tell you 15 min and it's almost an hour, so it was refreshing to have the car at the ready in 10 or less! I was always asked if I needed directions- again, very helpful staff. The location is also a big plus. Being on the riverwalk is ideal. I really didn't use my car for anything local. From the Omni you are in the heart of the riverwalk and just a couple of blocks from the Alamo. I also recommend a visit to the hotel pool. I went during the day and it was not crowded. It is a salt water pool, so it doesn't ruin your hair or make your clothes smell.
Cons: While my A/C worked just fine, the A/C in my husband's room wouldn't get the room below about 78 no matter how low if was set. There was also no A/C in the hallways/ elevators of the hotel making them hot and stuffy. I had no issue with my room key but my husband and a couple of other groups on the youth trip got new room keys almost daily due to them not working. My room was nice but I had no complimentary shampoo items. I had my own, so I figured the hotel was just trying to save some money and I didn't request them. Also in the bathroom, my door would not close without lifting it due to a problem with the top hinge, I have since noted this in a survey but it was a minor inconvenience and I didn't report it during my stay. My last day, Sunday, breakfast was served at Ostra across the street. It was a little awkward/confusing although the Ostra staff was helpful. the buffet was not as extensive and you had to request hot food as it was not out on the buffet.
Being in the center of town is costly. I used points to pay for my stay but it is pricy, the overnight car valet is $35. I had breakfast vouchers but breakfast without vouchers would cost $20 or $43 dollars on Sunday (which seems very outrageous).
Recommend that you join the select guest program to get free wifi, beverage service, etc..
I hope this gives you a good picture of what to expect. I would stay here again if cost permits but there are so many interesting hotels in San Antonio that I would likely try another hotel for my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the riverwalk if that's what you want. Room 150 is right beside the parking ga...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
We are glad you had such an enjoyable stay overall at the Omni La Mansion del Rio and appreciate all of your feedback! We are delighted to hear all of your interactions with the staff were so wonderful and that so many aspects of your stay from the location of the hotel to the valet were so enjoyable. We do apologize for the aspects of your experience that fell a little short, however, and appreciate you providing us with this feedback. Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon!

Been to Omni La Mansion del Rio? Share your experiences!