“JUST OK -- be sure to get "CITY" or "RIVER" view room!!” 2 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #42 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Villa Park, CA
“JUST OK -- be sure to get "CITY" or "RIVER" view room!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

This is a very average hotel in a great location. This Hyatt is built so that rooms on one side of the hall face outdoors, but the rooms on the other side of the hall only face the interior of the hotel, down to the lobby. I requested a "Cityview" room but when I arrived was given a "Lobbyview". This room was extremely dark and claustrophobic with absolutely no glimpse of daylight. Additionally, our room was the worst of the lobby view rooms because it was situated in a corner of the second floor with a large tiled area (outside our room and the one next door) that is barricaded by huge planters to form a indoor patio/terrace type thing for private functions. So, my sliding door opened up onto this public patio-type thing and didn't even have a view of the lobby, waterfalls, etc.

Furthermore, people on our end of the hall used this terrace thing to cut through to the elevators so we had noise and passersby, as well as bright lights, RIGHT outside this sliding GLASS door 24/7. Thank goodness there wasn't a function scheduled on that terrace!

Our room was another negative. Clean and attractive, however extremely small (especially for an end room). The room appeared to be some sort of "convertible" room that could either be used as a sleeping room or a hospitality room adjacent to that indoor terrace I described above. GET THIS -- the bed was a MURPHY BED and we were sleeping about one FOOT, if that, off the ground. Plus, it was only a DOUBLE bed (I had requested a king). Also, there was track lighting above the bed that could not be switched off completely -- only turned with a dimmer switch to the dimmest setting. In the dark of night, those lights still glowed!

I brought all of these issues to the front desk's attention the second day of my four day stay -- the noise, the lack of privacy, the Murphy bed, the lack of a city view and king as requested. I felt OK with the attitude of the front desk manager, although he told that there were no rooms such as the kind I wanted available. He didn't offer anything but was sincere enough that I decided not to get too worked up.

I wrote to the manager upon my return home and received a return email fairly quickly along with a a one night credit on my charge card, which I thought was an appropriate response.

In my letter, I told the manager that when I was growing up "Hyatt Regency" was the creme de la creme -- a truly upscale chain. Now, it's just another Hilton or Marriott.

I've stayed at the Marriott (the newer of the two on the Riverwalk) and would definitely choose it over the Hyatt should I return.

The Riverwalk is amazing and I highly recommend experiencing it.

• Liked — Location, location,location and quick morning coffee service (Starbucks) downstairs
  • Disliked — Room, general design/layout of hotel, noise level
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business

1,022 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Elkhorn, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

We just returned from the Hyatt Regency San Antonio and were very pleased. We went down with our 2 kids and found the hotel to be fairly kid friendly. We had reserved 2 rooms and requested them to be adjoining and we were delighted that this wasn't a problem so we had 2 connecting rooms for our stay. Our room had a great view of the Alamo and they had floor to ceiling windows which made it really nice.
We spent a lot of time at the hotel pool and our kids loved it, the only complaint about the pool is that it was really small. On the website it appears much bigger but it wasn't a big deal because the kids are small but if they had been older they may not have liked it as much.
The rooms were clean and modern, the grand beds are awesome! There are so many dining options within walking distance we only ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast one time.
Overall this was a good experience and would stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Size of the Pool
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
mechanicsville, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

We stayed at the Hyatt on May 5-8, 2007. I booked the hotel directly on the 800#, used the discount code from the SACVB website. This rate beat any I found on the internet. The room was 2 doubles, standard. Very roomy, clean. We were on the 5th floor and our room overlooked the Alamo. The pool on the roof offered wonderful day and night views of the city. They have a wonderful gym and hot tub on the roof. The Hyatt is right in the middle of the action, we walked everywhere on the Riverwalk. Valet parking is the way to go at the Hyatt. Parking is expensive everywhere in San Antonio, so be prepared. Breakfast in the hotel restaruarnt is expensive- 16.95 for the buffet, but includes all food and drink. Children and Seniors are offered a discount rate. We had "brunch" at the buffett every morning and saved up for dinner at the Riverwalk restarurants. Quite a pleasant stay.

• Liked — Fluffy beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cold in ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

I stayed here May 4th and May 5th in town for my son's air force basic training. I was by myself (female) and had no problem driving back and forth from this hotel to the Lackland base. Used the valet which was always prompt - yeah it was expensive but most big city hotels require valet so I didn't think it was a big deal. Was a great location on the Riverwalk. Picked this htoel for that reason so my son and I could go shopping at the Riverwalk mall, walk the Riverwalk, crash in the room, visit the Alamo. All Hyatt personnel were frinedly and polite. Great stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of valet
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

We arrived at the Hyatt at 12:10 am after a long day of travelling. We had not eaten in many hours. Upon checking in we asked if we could get any kind of food and were told that the restaurant had closed at 12:00am and they could not give us any food at all. Not even a cracker.

The lobby interior is dated and not well kept. The room was on the small side and the parking was far away and expensive.

We asked for another bottle of wine for the mini bar and were told that housekeeping was closed and we could not get anything from them either until the morning.

The phone in our room was not working and we were not allowed to use a phone at the front desk to make a call while we were waiting for the engineer. I was directed to the pay phone.

A very nice security guard overheard my interaction with the very rude front desk staff and offered me his cell phone which I used to call the Westin Hotel. I was able to get a room there for the blaance of my 5 night stay. I had to go to the manager to insist that I not be charged a cancellation fee on my reservation.

Would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The Westin was $50 per night cheaper and absolutely first class and wonderful.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the front desk staff and the dirty outdated lobby
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

I've stayed at several Hyatt properties, and this one is not the best. It has a great location, and is beautiful. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay in the heart of the downtown area. However, they charge for local calls, and also for wireless internet access, even though they advertise both as free on their website. We had problems with housekeeping, and the front desk.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

Just got back from SA where unfortunately we didn't get to enjoy all that the city had to offer because of the cold snap. Nonetheless we had a great time. Got a great deal through priceline. Definitely try to book your trip through them. The Hyatt's best asset is its great location. It's right in the middle of all the tourist spots in SA: it's on the Riverwalk, and literally a five to ten minute walk to the Alamo, Rivercenter Mall, 15 minutes or so to Market Square, and just minutes from great restaurants. The floor below the lobby takes you right on the Riverwalk. If you have trouble with walking, it's only two blocks away from the trolley stops. The room was clean and well appointed with a king size bed that was nice and firm with luxurious sheets and pillows, a leather club chair, and a nice desk. We asked for a room with a city view, although our 'view' was of the roof top of the building where the rainforest cafe was. Front desk and concierge were very helpful.
The cons were that the hotel charged $11 per day for wireless internet, and exorbitant room service meals.
I'd recommend this place and definitely would stay there again.

• Liked — great location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Regency San Antonio? Share your experiences!