I have mixed feelings about this hotel at this location. I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Kiev and the wife did so in Dallas and both were considerably more modern, with better service and breakfast buffet.
We were shocked to learn that room rates literally change by the hour. I had booked our room in August 2012 for New Year's Eve and got a room with AAA rate at $203 per night. A couple of days before departure the wife checked rates online and found they had dropped to $179 with a free breakfast, so I called and they made the change to the lower rate. The day of departure, as we were sitting in the airport waiting for our flight to San Antonio, the wife checked online again and found the rate had dropped to $147 with free breakfast, so I quickly called and they changed to the lower rate again. We arrived in San Antonio an hour later and got the car, and just for fun we checked online again and the rate had gone to $260 per night, no free breakfast! Lesson learned. And we got a deal, the free breakfast included tips to the wait staff, and for some reason we also got a $20 credit for use at the bar. Thank you AAA.
The hotel is showing its age, and although the water features in the lobby and river level are attractive, the hotel would not be considered modern or updated. We encountered numerous problems that prevent me from giving this hotel more than an average rating. Our first room had a nice view of the Alamo but the heat did not work, so we changed rooms and were given one that faced inside toward the elevators and other rooms. No biggie except you have to keep the drapes closed or everyone can see in, and that makes the room very dark. The first night the alarm clock would not illuminate and the second night it shone like the sun. The message light on the phone blinked for two days, except when you pick up the receiver to get messages you are told there are no messages. In the second room, we checked in about 1 pm and the room was cold. We turned up the thermostat--it was regulated and would not go above 78--and 10 hours later the room temp had increased 4 degrees. After our first night I had to track down a maid and ask her to clean the room because no one had done so. We were given multiple card keys that either did not work in the elevator or room.
The other Hyatt Regency hotels where we stayed did not have the multitude of problems in service or amenities. Still, it was not a bad experience and the location cannot be beat, so I would at least consider staying here again in the future. But I would check room rates often!
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency San Antonio Hotel San Antonio
- Hyatt Regency San Antonio Hotel
- San Antonio Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt San Antonio
- San Antonio Hyatt
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the heart of the Riverwalk at Hyatt Regency San Antonio. We are the only San Antonio Riverwalk hotel directly overlooking the historic Alamo and on the Riverwalk, connecting two of San Antonio's top destinations through our 16 story atrium lobby. Be the center of our attention while you are in the center of the action taking advantage of our unequaled location in the heart of dining and entertainment venues surrounding our Riverwalk hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Amex, AAA Travel Services, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Otel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Regency San Antonio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.