Last year, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt which was a 10-15 minute walk to the restaurants on the Riverwalk. For this Hyatt, you take the elevator near the Einstein bagel, walk through the lovely shopping lobby with the fountain, and right out to the Riverwalk with restaurants right and left outside the door. The shopping lobby had a nice looking spa and an ice cream store. The hotel is just around the block from the Alamo.
The gym was smaller and not as fancy as the Hyatt The rooftop pool was smaller as well and had lounge chairs around it. It wasn't luxurius looking, but it looked clean and a nice place to take a dip. The chairs were closer together, so you would be close to your neighbor in the next chair.
In addition to the Einstein bagel which had breakfast food and coffee, it also served sandwiches for lunch. No real eating area though. The bar was smaller than the Grand Hyatt, but it was a good place to sit and chat with attentive service. The food looked good.
The Q Restaurant had a small, but very enjoyable buffet with made to order pasta. You could just order the salad and desert buffet or off the menu. I really liked the freshness of the salad and fruit There were not a huge amount of salad toppings, but made to order pasta was really the star with a large number of toppings you could add. The desserts were fresh and tasty such as brownies and various desert bars or tiramisu.
I attended a conference for several days. It could have just been with the organizers picked but the breakfast buffet near the conference got tired after the third day - scrambled eggs (sometimes with peppers), bacon, sausage, fruit plate, muffins, yogurt (maybe one kind), OJ, and coffee/tea. I thought it was nice there were also gluten free muffins which were tasty. I remember the Grand Hyatt breakfast being better with more variety, like waffles or pancakes one day. The snacks in the afternoon were cookes, fruit, and packages of trail mix which were more portable and easier to eat than the scooped out snacks at the Grand Hyatt.
The conference dinner was fine. I asked for a pasta that was a side on another entree but never got it. The coffee took a while to make its rounds and there were never any refills. Overall, the conference wait staff were friendly, helpful, and kept the used plates and glsses cleaned up.
The room was fine and had a coffee maker and the refrigerator mini-bar. The maid did a good job and left extra creamer packets like I requested. I had a view of the city, but there were also interior rooms that looked down into the lobby and conference room area.
If you come out of the hotel on the Riverwalk, you can turn left and walk to the Grand Hyatt (about 10-15 minutes away), go past it to the Conference Center, go past the water streams, and up the stairs and walk to the left for several minutes to the Tower of America to see a great view of San Antonio.
For a good, but expensive dinner at the Chart House revolving restaurant at top of Tower of America, call ahead to make a reservation. I called on a Sunday for a party of one and was able to get a reservation for 5 minutes after I called. However, I saw a party of four walk up and was told the wait was over an hour. When I was upstairs, there were several empty tables around me that did not get filled. Last year, when I came and walked up (without calling ahead), I had a 45 minute wait, although when I got to my table, there were several empty tables.
TIp: Make sure you go at least an hour before sunset, so you can see the fantastic city as the restaurant revolves. Also, after dinner, you can take the elevator down to the Observation Level which normally you have to pay for if you want to come up for the view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the heart of the Riverwalk at Hyatt Regency San Antonio. We are the only San Antonio Riverwalk hotel directly overlooking the historic Alamo and on the Riverwalk, connecting two of San Antonio's top destinations through our 16 story atrium lobby. Be the center of our attention while you are in the center of the action taking advantage of our unequaled location in the heart of dining and entertainment venues surrounding our Riverwalk hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, AAA Travel Services, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Regency San Antonio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency San Antonio Hotel San Antonio
- San Antonio Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt San Antonio