“Absolutely Great if you have kids!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #44 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Absolutely Great if you have kids!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

My family(myself, wife, 2 boys 10 - 7) traveled from Chicago and stayed 5 nights at Hyatt Hill Country. It was our first time to Texas and the location of this hotel is great. I wanted a resort and not a downtown hotel and I am glad we picked this hotel. I must warn anyone who stays here, if you dont have kids, you wont be happy. I have stayed at several Disney hotels and i have never seen this many kids in my life. Every couple had at least 2 kids and some families were very large.

The lobby and hallways are bustling with kids especially on the weekend. The pool area looks like a swimin hole and i must say that my kids dont get a kick out of lazy rivers at waterparks, but spent 90% of their pool time in the lazy river having the time of their life. The pool area is a great mix of sun and shade and the temp was 100 each day, but we didnt fry at the pool because there is so many shaded areas.

The location is great. We didnt go to sea world because we have been to them before, but the natural bridge caves were great. The wildlife safari next to the natural bridge was a blast to feed the animals from your car. You are only 20 minutes from san antonio, so we went into town 3 times to shop, eat, riverwalk and visit the alamo.

We ate at the buffet restaurant one time and thought it was pretty awful. Other people mentioned Rudy's in their review. Our ten year old wanted to go there but we were a bit apprehensive because Rudy's is connected to a gas station. I must say that it is the best bbq i have ever had in my life and we ended up eating there 2 times during our trip.

The staff at the hotel was friendly and i must say the whole ---- state seems to be friendly!!

Stay at this hotel but i would not recommend the concierge level of the hotel because it doesnt offer you anything that you dont get on the other floors of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2005

796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

My wife and I enjoyed the overnite experience, however, we felt a little out of place as we travel a good deal and this place, although elegant, is considerably overpriced , in our opinion!
First of all, valet parking only ($10.00)!, this of course requires valet room
service, another few bucks! Then, it's so large, one must walk, walk, walk to go to the lobby, resturant, pool, general store,etc.
The employee's are courteous, the service good (not excellent), but the "inconvience" of valets for "everthing" is to much for us! (For instance, to get a corkscrew, room service was the ONLY available option, that took 30 minutes and a few bucks.. have at it, we like our auto "in sight and available", be able to pick type of resturants, short walk to pool, etc.
We'll stay with Hampton, Wingate type, thankyou!

Stayed June 2005
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2005

This resort is similar to a Disney hotel in the mid-price range or a Gaylord hotel, but more expensive. It's less hectic than going to Disney World, if that's what you want.

This resort is definitely focused on family, for children up to age 10 or so. There are also some attractions for children up to perhaps 14, but I think the younger age group is happier here. The pool is well suited to younger children, although it gets very crowded as does the lazy river. It's like being at a water park

The good: planned daily activities for kids and kid camp. Food served at pool. The pool. The mattresses. Rooms are clean. Antler's restaurant.

The mediocre: the food in the "family" cafe restaurant (I don't recommend the buffet). You get a better value for your money dining at their nicer restaurant, but you have to dress business casual to go there. Room decor and size. Service is friendly, but how good can it get with 100 people needing help at the same time? The lines for towels at the pool or for the snack bar or in the store were slow moving.

The bad: prices were high for food, drinks and rooms -- I don't think any of it was justified. Worst smoothie I have ever tasted! Stick to water, beer and soda here, but it's best if you buy some at a grocery store and bring it with you to avoid the 100%-200% increase in price. Room sizes are small. People hoard poolside space by placing towels and other items as early as 6 AM and then keep the space all day regardless of where they are or what they are doing. The staff should manage the use of space more effectively so that everyone can enjoy the facilities. The large floats that they get kids to beg their parents to buy for them -- it takes them forever to inflate one and then they are really too big for the pool, plus there are easier to use inner tubes available for free. I saw many of these large floats occupying chairs by the pool.

When we arrived, there was a woman crying in the lobby because her reservation had been messed up. I'm not sure what had happened, but apparently they did not have a room big enough for her family available anymore and the hotel was offering to split them into 2 rooms, which obviously is not ideal when you are traveling with young children.

• Stayed July 2005
kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

What an owesome place. We stayed here for four nights and loved every minute of our stay. We made the mistake of going to Sea World right after we checked in however, we shouldn't have left the resort. The pools and lazy river were so great. You don't and you shouldn't even leave this place once you check in. Everything about this place was GREAT!!!! The other nice thing is that it's truely a family resort. I never worried about my kids (9& 12) walking around by themselves. I've stayed at a lot of nice places and this is one of the best. This place is worth every penny. I can't wait to go back.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

This was a treat. The rooms are nicely decorated. The bed very plush with lots of pillows. The staff very friendly and helpful. The maids all said good morning as we walked down the hall. To get the most out this resort plan to get a spa treatment and put the kids in the kids club. Yes there is a fee for everything. But you are there to relax and have fun not worry about the cost. The pools and tubing river are very fun and realaxing. The pool uses river water I think. No chlorine smell. There are several areas to sit like the sandy beach or by the acvitiy pool or back by where the river winds. The adult pool is sperated from the acvitiy pool. (Kid and family area) The food is great. The grill by the pool has hamburgers and nachos ect. with plenty of servers to bring it to you. They offer towels by the pool. We enjoyed the outdoor movie on the lawn, hayride and the samores. My kid said it was the best hotel ever. I would make this a destination place and not plan to go running all over san anontio are sea world which is 10 minutes away. although you will. I dont play golf but the course looked green and made me wish I did. There is an activity sheet by the front desk. get one so you know what is going on. I expected more than usual from a hotel due to the cost. I do think for the service and comfort level it is priced right.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

My husband, 5-year-old daughter and myself stayed at the resort for 4 nights and absolutely loved it. I have been to San Antonio many, many times and usually stay on the Riverwalk, but we wanted a resort-style hotel that had good activities for our daughter, as well as golf and a spa for us. First off, the pool area with the "lazy river" is a blast. The resort grounds are so nicely landscaped with flowers and trees and when we walked around the property it did not feel at all like it was on the edge of a big city. The hotel food was very good -- we ordered room service one night and I had the best chicken fried steak I can remember. We had a package deal that included the breakfast buffet 3 out of our 4 mornings and it was very good. They didn't charge us a buffet price for our daughter since she only ate cereal off the buffet (so hers was free). Our daughter did Camp Hyatt for a day and had a really great time. There were many activities planned during the day and she got to go swimming as well. Our room was on the first floor overlooking the windmill near the spa and we could step right outside and see bunny rabbits in the evening. The lobby is so nicely decorated in real Texas-ranch style decor. Seaworld is only 5 minutes away and we had a great day there. We are planning our family reunion at the Hill Country Hyatt for next year.

• Stayed May 2005
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

We keep coming back year after year to the Hyatt Hill Country as our children love the Lazy River and it is a short drive from Austin. We noticed this Memorial Day weekend a dramatic improvement in the service. The staff were all very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly, a marked improvement from years past. We will be back again. Note to parents, get out to the pool early on busy summer weekends to stake your claim on a chair!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!