“Poor service and definitely not for couples” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shopping Package
Ranked #30 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Poor service and definitely not for couples”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

The second we checked into the Hyatt Hill Country, my wife and I knew we were going to have problems.

We visited the resort on our honeymoon and based on the website it looked like a decent place. It has a nice spa and pool etc and so we thought we would spend a few days here for some R&R.

On our arrival though, we were offered a ground floor room next to the children's play area or a room overlooking the pool area. I asked if they were the only rooms and the answer was a very unfriendly "yes". Suffice to say, or room was noisy. Kids were allowed to run riot around the complex, screaming and crashing around until at least 1am. The pool was in constant use throughout the night with ball games being played and constant shouting going on.

Now I'm only 32 and I enjoy a good time but this took the biscuit. The hotel should have control of this but they couldn't care less about what guests do there.

We visited the spa which, to be fair, was amazing. We had loads of treatments and they were all professionally done and we came out refreshed. However on our return to our bedroom at 3pm, our room still hadn't been cleaned or turned down. We were in the room for an hour and a note was shoved under our door saying that they couldn't clean our room because we were in it. That's fine because they said to just call the front desk and they will clean it later on. So we did. On our return at midnight our room still hadn't been cleaned. The front desk said it couldn't have been cleaned as we had the do not disturb sign out. An absolute lie am afraid. The lady who eventually came to give us fresh towels said that the cleaners never come back and often make excuses. Great.

So overall despite paying the huge price tag for the rooms and dropping $800 at the spa the service was poor, the attitude of the staff wasn't great and the noise was ridiculous. The only plus point was a complementary bottle of fizz waiting in our room on the second day as it was our honeymoon.

If you have a family with small children then this may suit you. However there is still going to be escape from the noise or service. I'm sure your children will be better behaved and not crash around at 1am. This hotel is not the place to go for a romantic getaway.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicole G, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hello Simon - First of all, congratulations on your recent marriage! We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your honeymoon stay with us. This is unfortunate to hear, as we do our best to cater to all of our guests, whether families or couples. We truly apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered, and appreciate you letting us know. If there is anything that we can do to rectify the situation and earn back your business in the future, please let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Reservations:
Before selecting this hotel, I sent an email asking questions. My email was answered by reservation Damaris A. Damaris level of customer service that her provided was EXCELLENT! Damaris sent me a follow-up email in which I replied that I had made my reservation. Damaris took it upon himself to pull up my reservation and noticed that I had book incorrectly. He emailed me back to confirm and corrected my error. Thank you so much Damaris A.!

Room:
Booked a suite on the top floor. The room was clean and very nice. There is a living area with a table & chairs, a leather pull out sofa, and the bedroom has a door. The bathroom has a shower and tub combination, with the sink being outside of the bathroom door. Accommodations are modern.

Staff:
Staff was very friendly. Even the landscapers say hello when you walk by.

Food:
Average. Nothing to really write about. The prices were ok.

Activities:
There are activities planned every hour on the hour for starting at 8:00 am ending at 8:30 pm that the kids can participate in at any age. Many of the activities are free of charge and or included in the resort fee. They ranged from volleyball, making smore's, and other fun family activities.There are bicycles of all sizes for the entire family to ride. There is a playground area for the kids along with games stashed around the grounds like horseshoes, ping pong, etc...They also have movie night on the lawn.

Water Park:
Loved the lazy river and the flow rider! There is a beach area with sand. There is a pool with a basketball and volleyball net. There is a water slide, not sure how tall it is. You are able to receive food and beverage services poolside. You have to pay extra money to ride the flow rider but it is worth the experience. By the way, the pools are only 3 ft deep.

My kids ages 8, 10, 13, and 16 enjoyed this resort. They had a blast. I felt safe allowing them to roam around the property in pairs without me.

I would come back to this resort with the family.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Nicole G, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the resort, including our staff and customer service, FlowRider wave machine, family activities and more! Thank you for letting us know about your wonderful experience, and we look forward to the opportunity of having you back!
Greenbrier, AR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The resort is very nice. We loved the landscape & pools. A little disappointed that there is no shuttle to Seaworld. We didn't get a good night sleep any of the 4 nights we stayed. Prices for everything seemed a little high. Then the morning we checked out we get hit with $110 charge for "Resort Fee" that we were never told about. Basically for 2 bottles of water each day that we never drank.

Stayed July 2014
We are so sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your recent stay with us. We apologize for any confusion regarding our daily $26 resort fee, as we try to make this prominent when making a reservation on our website. We appreciate your suggestion regarding shuttle service to SeaWorld, and are glad that you enjoyed the hotel's landscaping and pools. Thank you for your feedback, and please let us know if there is anything we can do to rectify the situation and have you back as our guests again.
Rowlett, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My daughter and I take her two children on a short trip every summer. This was one of our best! This place is awesome! So much fun and so well designed for children! The rooms are beautiful! My four year old grandson cried when we had to leave. We will definitely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

That is so great to hear! We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. Thanks for letting us know, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have had wonderful visits to this hotel over the years, and think it's a lovely property and a fun place, especially for families. However, we are here right now and I wish I could check out. They have air "fresheners" that are so strong I have started having breathing issues, which I haven't had in years. It is impossible for me to enjoy any of the inside areas because the smell is so strong. I am writing this with the hope that someone at the property will read it and do something about it. The lobby is so horrible that I am sitting outside with my computer in the sweltering heat trying to get some work done. I have talked to two people at the concierge desk about this, and nice as they were they didn't seem to think there was anything they could do. Hyatt, help!

Green Features: They must not care for fresh air, as they are choking their guests with artificial air fresheners.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are truly sorry to hear about any inconvenience that our air fresheners caused you during your stay with us. This is obviously not our intention, and we appreciate you letting us know. I will make sure to share your concern with proper hotel management to consider making adjustments based on your feedback. Thank you again, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do.
Lewisville, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had a previous poor experience at this hotel but was asked to come back and experience the greatness of the hotel. Sadly, it was not a good experience. The service was poor, room service was awful (my husband even got ill from the food). The hotel and other activities etc are way overpriced too for what is offered. The noise level in our room was terrible. We couldn't even relax.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

We are truly very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your recent stay with us. This is obviously not the type of feedback that we like to hear, or the experience that we hope our guests have when they choose our resort. We strive to provide the utmost in customer service, accommodations and value at our resort, and are sorry we fell short of that mark with you. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to rectify the situation and earn back your business.
Sugar Land, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Amenities and staff absolutely wonderful. At no time when we needed anything, were we lacking. There are more than enough activities to keep a whole family entertained and on the go 24/7. For an excellent dining experience, the Antler's lodge is a must. The staff at the Antler's Lodge and resort as a whole is exceptional.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay, including the resort's staff, family activities, and Antlers Lodge. Thank you for letting us know and for recommending us to others. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!