“Luxury and tranquility all wrapped into one!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shopping Package
Ranked #18 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Luxury and tranquility all wrapped into one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Spend a weekend or just an overnight at this upscale, newly renovated hotel that features quiet. clean and comfortably appointed rooms! This was an opportunity for the adults to get away for a brief stay to enjoy the spa and the amenities of the resort. It was delightful! We enjoyed cuisine from the restaurants in the establishment, room service, the spa and so much more! Country setting with expansive fireplaces in the lobby, a spa offering luxurious pampering and a great atmosphere for a getaway lasting one night or several. Truly a special place to visit!

Room Tip: Some rooms boast hill country views, others overlook the water features on the property. Ask to det...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HRHC_PRTeam, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and the generous five star review. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and had a delightful experience at the spa and the resort for your adult getaway. Thank you for the complimentary words regarding the restaurants and the overall feel and atmosphere of the resort. This is truly a special place to all of our employees and we are so happy to share that feeling with our guests!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Gause, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I spent one night at this resort and were disappointed. While it was nice, and we did enjoy our visit, it was not worth the money. Hyatt is real bad about charging extra fees for things that most other places provide as part of the room cost. The room itself was outrageously priced, but on top of that Hyatt has a "Resort Fee" to cover 2 bottles of water, a golf bag tag, Internet, use of their laundry facilities, and a couple more similar non-benefits. This is their way of robbing you blind and anybody who stays at a Hyatt should be willing to just throw money away. I am NOT one of those people.

In fact, after my last Hyatt stay at a different location I said I would never stay at a Hyatt again. Well, I forgot about that and paid dearly for my mistake. Maybe my memory will get better in the future!

The staff was nice and helpful, but when we checked in the clerk wrote down the wrong room number on the envelope. So, we carried our luggage all the way to the room only to have to go back to the lobby and then back to the correct room. He apologized profusely and we recognize it was just a mistake, but at those prices I expect better. The room was nicely decorated and quite comfortable. However, the frame around the mirror over the bathroom lavatory was filthy - spots from water/toothpaste/whatever had splashed on it from prior guests in the room. Makes you wonder how clean everything else was.

In my opinion, the resort building is poorly designed because it takes a LONG walk to get to wherever you are going. On the other hand, the exercise is healthy. All through the resort they have decorated the walls with photos, maps, and information about the ranch that was there prior to Hyatt buying the property. Not only was in very interesting, but is an excellent way to preserve the history of the land and provides something truly interesting on the walls rather than just normal art work. Very nice touch.

Parking was ample and close. Valet service was available, but we did not use it. The resort also has many amenities such as a water park, golf course, hiking trails, etc. Being an overnight stay, we did not get to see our use those amenities, but they appeared to be top notch.

So, I cannot recommend this or any Hyatt property and do not plan to return. But, if you understand what you are getting into with regard to price vs value and you have no problem with that, then you should really enjoy this resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Your review is important to us, so we can provide the best guest experiences possible. We are grateful that you chose to stay with us, and are sad to know you weren't completely satisfied with your experience.

We are so sorry to learn that you had a less than satisfactory check-in experience. It is our desire to provide unmatched customer service to all of our guests form the moment they arrive, and we offer a sincere apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

As you stated, the $26 resort fee includes two complimentary bottles of water in your guestroom, in-room internet access, golf bag storage, complimentary access to the driving range, putting and chipping greens, a bucket of golf balls, as well as bike rental during your stay. I apologize if any of this information was not clear on your reservation confirmation and wish that you could have stayed with us longer to utilize our many amenities. Also, we strive to provide each guest with a pristine and clean guestroom, and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you and your wife. I will make sure to pass your concerns about the bathrooms along to our management committee.

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed reading about the history of the resort and the Rogers-Wiseman family that lived on the ranch land our property is built on. It is very important to us to preserve that history and to deliver a feeling of “coming home” when guests stay with us. We hope that you will come back for a longer stay so you can take full advantage of the resort amenities and all we have to offer, including the water park, biking and grounds. We hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I came here for a conference but I brought my family along for the ride. The room was very comfortable, decor was elegant rustic, and I loved that we had a balcony. Every person we came in contact with at the hotel exuded customer service. I think it is the first family oriented hotel we went to where the bellman unloaded and then reloaded the car, and I have been at some pretty nice hotels. There are two reasons I did not give this hotel an excellent rating. One was the non-washable cowhide pillow that was on the bed up against the fresh clean pillow cases. I don't know where that thing has been or how many times it has been on the floor. I think it is best used on furniture like a sofa. Second, one of the on-site restaurants, Springhouse Cafe, does not match the quality of the hotel, other than its very high prices. I had two of the worst meals ever, there. I think the food quality was worse than that of our high school cafeteria. $18.95 for a food buffet with entrees and sides that were barely edible or not at all, is too much to pay. I should have asked for my money back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback with us. We are delighted to hear that you experienced great customer service and a family-oriented environment during your stay. Our team strives to provide warm and authentic hospitality to each guest every day, and I am proud that our team delivered that to you.

Thank you for your feedback on the cowhide pillows. The pillows were an addition during the renovation intended to improve the aesthetics of the room (we eliminated the original duvets for a cleaner guest bed.) The cleanliness of guestrooms is a top priority, and we are sorry if you feel this was compromised; we will do our best to correct this issue. Also, please accept my sincerest apology for your experience in Springhouse Cafe. We are so sorry to hear that your meals were below satisfactory. We strive to provide our guests with the best quality of food during their stay, and we are disappointed we fell short. The menu in Springhouse is currently under review, and a copy of your feedback will be shared with our management committee including our Culinary, Rooms and Housekeeping teams.

We appreciate knowing your thoughts, and we sincerely hope you will make plans to come back and enjoy a positively memorable Hyatt Hill Country experience.
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

As a local, I haven't had the pleasure of playing the better resort courses in San Antonio. I was lucky to play at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort Course this past December. Even though San Antonio has been hit hard with the drought, the course is in great shape. We played the Oaks and the Lakes 9-hole sections that day and had a great time. The guys at the pro shop were nice and knowledgeable. The practice range is right near the pro shop so you can easily warm up before your tee time.

Our overall time spent at the Hyatt HC GC was very good, however I would recommend that they do a better job at preparing quicker, simpler meals for golfers making the turn. After the first 9 holes we waited for too long for a couple of sandwiches at the Cactus Oak Tavern. If there had been more golfers around that day, we would have been passed up by at least three groups. The food quality was great but staff needs to work on timeliness. I know the course is a resort style but having simple pre-maid meals for hungry golfers might be a good idea.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of our Hill Country golf course. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your experience.

I think your suggestion of a "pre-made" lunch is a great idea and I will share it with our food and beverage team.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed here in Jan-2014 and could not believe how thin the walls were. I could hear people on both sides of me talking at normal volume as if they were in the same room with me. If you're looking for quite accommodations avoid this place.

Aside from that, the staff were very friendly and the food was decent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent Hill Country visit. Allow me to apologize to you on behalf of the resort for the noise you experienced during your stay. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you personally and find out which room you occupied so we can make sure we are doing everything we can to prevent this experience from happening again.

Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, each of our Hill Country team is dedicated to making each guest feel welcomed and appreciated. I am glad we delivered that to you.

We value your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn a repeat visit.

Pearland, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed 5 nights in January, 2014 at this Hyatt for a Conference I was attending where my father was speaking. Honestly, I didn't expect much as I'm not much on hotel or restaurant chains and usually opt for small boutique hotels and bed & breakfasts. But I was in for a surprise. This is an amazing property with beautiful scenery including the golf course and numerous huge old oak trees. I'm a walker and truly enjoyed the natural beauty. For families, there are swimming pools, water slides, playground equipment, a place to learn wake boarding and a lazy waterway in which to ride an inner tube. There are several restaurants with different price points giving you different options and even a General Store where you can order sandwiches to go. And there must have been at least three (3) gift shops where you could pick up toiletries and/or over the counter medications plus clothing and gift items. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and well thought out. A wall separates the bed and bathroom/dressing so light is not an issue for someone sleeping. The sink and a long counter top are located in the main dressing area and the tub and toilet are in a room together allowing one to get ready, blow dry hair, dress, etc while the other is in the bathroom or taking a shower or bath. And there's a separate counter space for the coffee pot, ice bucket, etc. I also love the balcony where you can sit outside and overlook the beautiful views. My sister and husband were in a connecting room which made the visit so nice as well!
And the staff is well trained! Everyone I encountered was very helpful and friendly. I have stayed at MANY upscale hotels and the staff at this resort was exceptional.
The only down side is if you plan to travel off the resort grounds more than once, you will need to rent a car. Distance to the nearest restaurant off the grounds is a short drive but not really within walking distance. And although everything seems to be a relatively short drive (I live in Houston), a cab can add up fast. My sister and her husband paid $60 for a cab from the airport to the hotel one way.
All in all, I would highly recommend the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and intend to come back with my husband and more of my family the next time and will try to do so during a warmer month.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 3916 and overlooked the wake board area and several huge oak trees. The view was ni...
Green Features: By the way, I LOVE that this hotel has cardboard recycling receptacles throughout the property for soft drink cans, plastic bottles and paper.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your generous 4 star review of your recent visit and for taking the time to share your experience with other tripadvisor travelers.

Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the resort for the intrusion to your sleeping. I had the engineering department inspect the heating/ac unit in the room you referenced and they have replaced the necessary parts to ensure that no other guest has to endure a night of not being able to sleep.

I truly appreciate the kindness in your review and want you to know that your experience was an isolated incident and certainly not the relaxing getaway we strive to provide for our guests.

I hope you will contact me personally so I can assist you with scheduling your next Hill Country visit.

I hope to earn your business again.

Magnolia, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

A good friend recommend this hotel and we had an excellent stay there. The staff was very friendly, courteous, and helpful. The entire hotel and rooms were very clean and beautiful as well. The amenities at the resort were phenomenal. The weather left us unable to enjoy all of it, but we look forward to staying there again when the weather is hopefully better.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your generous 5 star review of your recent visit and for sharing your experience with other tripadvisor travelers.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your time with us, in spite of the weather. I appreciate you mentioning our "great service" our Hill Country family truly enjoys making each guests' visit memorable and I am proud we delivered that to you.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

melody.goeken@hyatt.com

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!