“tubing without the big crowds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #37 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“tubing without the big crowds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is an awesome family resort. They have their own private tubing "river". It's not too big or too small. You can let the kids loose and still be in very clost touch with them. At dusk everyone lines up for smores and for the 12 and under crowd a movie on the lawn right outside the tubing area. The older kids get to hang out at the teen game room untill about 11pm. Everything is right there, once we parked, we never had to leave again. Fun shopping at gift shops also.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

808 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Vacationed here with wife and 2 year old, overall a great place - my son loved the beach and the nightly smores (it's free, included in the resort fee I think). Perhaps couple of things could've been better.

1. Came during a RROC convention and didn't know where to check in - took a while before someone directed me
2. Didn't get welcome amenity as a diamond member (though did get the points after I mentioned this at check out)
3. Room was dirty, had stains on curtains, pillows, bed and was a little run down.

I did talk to one of the managers and head of housekeeping - they did come in and replace the curtains, replaced all the sheets within an hour. They were very apologetic and did a fantastic job every day after that, so kudos for the prompt service.

Didn't get the room upgrade as was told on the phone but that's fine - just a little disappointed.
Couple of things were under construction - it was super busy but not too noisy. When there is a major event the front is closed so we had to walk around the back -- not fun with a toddler.

The regency club was also closed - so I was supposed to get free breakfast yet I was still charged.

Had to call back after I got home to get it corrected - was fixed partially, was charged for service/gratuity for a buffet even though the Hyatt GP states otherwise.

Overall - I'd come back to this place, maybe it won't be so busy. I usually have good luck with Hyatt GR so this could've just been a busy weekend for them.

Pros:
Great location
Wonderful staffs
Waterpark (though part of it was under construction)

Cons:
Busy on weekends

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach towel shack are quiet and nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
First and foremost, please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire resort for the many issues experienced during your recent business trip.

We strive to provide each guest with a pristine and clean guestroom, and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you. As a Diamond Gold Passport member you should have enjoyed the following enhancements during your stay;
• Achieve rewards even faster with a 30% point bonus when choosing points
• Enjoy the best room available upon arrival, excluding suites
• Receive exclusive access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge featuring complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres 2. Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge
• Treat yourself to a suite upgrade at the time of reservation four times annually on eligible paid nights
• Receive a special welcome point bonus or food and beverage amenity during each stay
• Receive a nightly room refresh
• Receive the confirmed bed type at check-in
• Stay connected with complimentary in-room Internet access
• Expedite check-in at a dedicated area for elite members
• Ensure a room is always available with our 48-hour guarantee
• Extend your stay until 4:00 p.m. with a late check-out request
• Book reservations through an exclusive Diamond line

I apologize for the many enhancements that you did not receive during your stay.Your business is very important to us and I want to assure you that we have addressed your concerns issues with our front desk and housekeeping departments and have taken immediate steps to ensure that no other valuable guest experiences what you did. Our goal is for guests to have an enjoyable, relaxing and wonderful experience and obviously we did not deliver this to you.

I hope that you will be willing to provide us another opportunity to deliver the experience you should have received. I assure you on your next visit we will not make the same mistakes.

Melody Goeken, director of public relations
melody.goeken@hyatt.com
210-520-4022
Frisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

A good place to visit. Went for a conference, Staff and Security are the best at providing smiles AND service!
You've got to like a lot of walking if you are exhibiting or attending a conference as it is a ways from the center of things.

Room Tip: Ones facing the woodlands are great. Lots of chairs and patios to sit out on.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your recent Hill Country visit.

I was thrilled to see that you gave us a 5 star in service! Our Hill Country family is dedicated to ensuring that every guest has a memorable experience, and I am proud that we delivered that to you.

I hope you will plan to visit us next fall to see all of the amazing enhancements throughout the property!

By the beginning of May we will have refreshed all guest rooms with new flooring, wall coverings, Hyatt Grand beds, and fresh tile in the bathrooms. Over Memorial Day weekend we will open Edge Falls, the expansion of our 5 acre park featuring a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide, and Vince’s Watering Hole restaurant and bar. Our outdoors will have been enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping and in the fall we will unveil a brand new 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
Melody Goeken, director of public relations
melody.goeken@hyatt.com
210-520-4022
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The grounds, the staff, the breakfast are all excellent. We were there during a quiet non peak week so cannot comment on how the place is when full (some how I get the feeling it could be chaotic).

The rooms are nice and spacious and many have balconies/outdoor space. A lot of stuff to do for kids both young and old. The grounds are excellent and I am sure will only improve once the water park is opened.

Breakfast buffet is excellent and definitely one of the best I have seen.

Two issues were the water was shut off one day when we were there from 9-4- we were not informed of this and we got multiple different reports from different staff members. Ended actually being a 9-5 situation. Besides an apology nothing else was offered.

The other issue is the constant calls and being stopped by the timeshare sales people. I really did not enjoy the constant hard sell tactics. This is a minor thing but I think the hotel needs to handle this better.

Overall would recommend and will return but I think I will avoid peak season because I think it will sour my opinion- no firm basis for that just that several people told me in summer it is sometimes tough to find a pool chair.

San Diego, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

High country is far removed from the Downtown which is good and bad. Good if you want to keep isolated, bad in that it is a slep to go to Riverwalk and other downtown venues. The property is large with a huge selection of meeting rooms, restaurants, golf, and water park. The rooms are spacious, but tired and being renovated--I'm disappointed that at Hyatt property let it get this rundown before renovation.
The highest note was the front desk staff. So friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can't say enough about our stay this weekend. We had four rooms among our wedding party (on the bride's side; I don't know if the groom's side also stayed there). We also held a dinner for 40 in the Sunspot Patio without going through banquet services (due to originally thinking we'd only have 20 people), and Craig Wurster was phenomenal, as were all of our waitstaff, from Jessica and Liz to Christopher. Jessica came and spoke to me personally about little details, like when they were rolling out the meals themselves after the salad. She also spent 15 minutes rigging up an open to-go container for the top cake layer that the wedding couple wanted to save for later. She put in little sticks to hold it open, taped them down, and then saran-wrapped the whole thing.

That was just one of the many touches that made the evening a fantastic, lifetime memory for the bride, groom, family, and wedding guests. Another were the candles that were set out, and the way the bride & groom table was set up, all things that were offered but not asked for.

I can't say enough about Craig; he went out of his way to help us work within the one-week time frame we had to plan the wedding, and helped us stay within budget. He bent over backward to make sure our experience was truly phenomenal. It's clear that he is meant for his job; his hospitality was so professional and helpful, and his PR skills are through the roof. He and the waitstaff even took our bride and groom placards from us, and all our dinner menus for the specific meal they were serving, and set everything out ahead of time while we were at the actual wedding.

The rest of the hotel staff were great as well. Jesse was friendly to me the many times I called the hotel to touch base with Craig. Saturday afternoon (April 13th, around 4-5 pm), the other person at the front desk besides Jesse, called for engineering to bring me a screwdriver to fix my curling iron. (I did not catch his name)

John (Garcia?) was our "bellhop," along with another short gentleman (he's the guy who brought me the screwdriver and helped with other things) was very sensitive to our needs, and when he realized our hotel room was the furthest one away from the elevators and saw we had a 70 year old aunt with us, he asked if we wanted to see if we could switch rooms, and switched us not only to a room that was right next to the elevator (on an EXTREMELY booked day with 3 high schools and at least two weddings!), it was a nicer room, with a patio and nicer view, which he pointed out to me.

Jon (Baldwin?) was a security head who came up at 2 am to work with me on trying to get my coaxial cables of my camera to connect to the right ports on the back of the tv so I could view all the wedding pictures on the tv. We were never successful, but he was ever the gentleman and gave it his best shot, spending a good 20-30 minutes trying to make it work via coaxial and usb cables that I had.

There was yet another front desk person, whose name I didn't catch, perhaps James or something, who was very helpful and friendly when we called down with issues, and also worked hard to make us happy. One of the times I called down, from someone else's room, he jovially answered the phone and asked "What can I do for you, Ms. Bland?" He remembered the name of the person who had been calling him from that room. When I announced I was just visiting her room but needed help, he was just as hospitable to me.

Thank you. I rarely use hotels, and this was also a special occasion, and I will forever remember it as a wonderful experience. Kudos to your fantastic employees for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Calling ahead is very helpful in understanding details of your trip. Sometimes it's hard to get...
Framingham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country for a business conference and was impressed by the quality of its facilities for the business traveler. Check-in was quick and easy, the staff was friendly and the room was spacious and comfortable. The grounds outside my room featured a large play area for kids, which was in frequent use.

The in-room Wi-Fi was probably the best I've ever seen in a hotel. That may sound like a small detail, but for the business traveler with a lot of work to do, it makes a difference.

Location is great. The grounds are large enough to give you a sense of isolation, but there are a couple of large shopping areas within two miles.

I'm not a big fan of country music, so having it piped into all the common areas is a little intrusive to me. However, that seems to be the norm in Texas hotels, so get used to it.

The only thing that keeps this from being a five-star review is that the housekeeping staff failed to make up my room the first I was night there. The chambermaid knocked, I said give me 15 minutes and she never came back. I assume this was just an oversight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!