“Good, but not yet great.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa

You added Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Hyatt Resort Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Shopping Package
Ranked #18 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Good, but not yet great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I enjoy the park like setting of this hotel, and the manned guard house at the entrance. The food (especially in the cafe downstairs) is some of the best I've had with excellent food and very attentive service. The desk staff is nice. And if something isn't right, (and it hasn't been with the valet parking TWICE already,) the management is very good with communication. It is a Four Star property that could be a Five Star with proper training of staff. It will be interesting to see how it is once all of the renovations are done. I love the pool area, and there are dozens of winding paths to walk and enjoy nature. The grounds are immaculate and peaceful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our first stay in San Antonio, not knowing the area we picked this hotel by chance. The hotel is easy to find by car from the airport, with good access to the freeway network (took less than 30 minutes). Great base for getting to theme parks, sports arenas, shopping malls, town centre, main tourist sites, all of which were no more than 30 minutes by car.

The hotel was in the middle of a major renovation while we were there but was so well managed that there was no negative impact on our stay. The renovation was to revamp the rooms and add slides to the water park.

My son (12) loved the water park, my daughters (20's) loved the spa. We used the free bike rental (30 minutes free) which could be improved if there was more access to the golf course trails.

We used the family-centric buffet for breakfast and a couple of evening meals. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Not the cheapest for those on a budget but certainly less than you'd pay in a major hotel in the centre of town.

Although the customers were a mixture of business visitors, golf players and families, we found the hotel looking after all types in equal measure and were definitely family orientated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful 5 star review of your recent visit. I was so pleased to read that you and your family had a good time. I will share your comments about the breakfast buffet and service with our Springhouse Café staff. We strive to provide warm and authentic hospitality to each guest and I am proud that our team delivered that to you.

You also mentioned our renovation; I am pleased to say we have updated all of our guest rooms with new flooring, Hyatt Grand Beds and fresh tile in the bathrooms. Our waterpark expansion opened over Memorial Day weekend, with a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar. The only incomplete project is the addition of a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens, which is scheduled for completion this fall.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from one night at the Hyatt with wife and 8 year old daughter and we loved it. We stayed at the Hyatt Lost Pines resort in Bastrop last year, which is newer, and I have to say I prefer this one in San Antonio. Perhaps it had something to do with the time we went (beautiful Spring day and evening in the 70s this time versus VERY hot Summer day and evening in the high 90s when we went to Lost Pines) but I think there was more to it than that. This Hyatt property is more mature with more large trees and beautiful hill country scenery surrounding it, the staff was friendlier, the food was better, the pool/lazy river were nicer (even though we didn't get to go in the lazy river because it was too cold; the "adult" pool was heated and children were allowed to play in it). I didn't get to play golf this time but the course looked beautiful. We enjoyed walking the nature trail, swimming in the adult pool, eating smores, and just relaxing. There was some construction going on but we were forewarned about the renovations and they were not too much of an issue. We'll definitely go back to the Hill Country Hyatt, especially if we come across a special. I'm not so sure about Lost Pines.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my husband and soon to be 11 year old daughter. The hotel is being renovated. Room is nice and updated but on the small side. Stayed here because of pool and the lazy river. Weather did not really cooperate but it did not matter. We were told we could go over to the Wild Oak Hyatt vacation resort which had a fantastic heated half indoor and half outdoor pool. There is quite a bit of construction noise but that will be gone. Staff was very friendly and attentive during our stay. I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed in this resort for a meeting, no kids, this spring. We were excited to get away and looked forward to the lovely, luxurious looking property, complete with rockers on the porch, that we had seen on the web site. We were a bit disappointed.
Though the rooms were spacious, and clean, and the beds very comfortable, these were fairly spendy rooms and we felt there should have been more for the price. The first night our room overlooked the "courtyard" which is basically the entrance driveway where the cars come in and out for check-in, check-out and valet parking. We asked to be moved to a quieter room with a better view and were moved to a room overlooking the massive construction project going on for their new wave machine and pool with a giant slide (which started at 8am each day with workmen, concrete trucks and noise). Though we had a nice little balcony, we never used it because there was nothing to look at except construction mess.
The "resort" seems designed for meetings. A whole wing is full of meeting rooms. But the rest of the hotel seems to be geared to families with small children, complete with kids club, crafts by the pool, lazy river and movies on the lawn. (unfortunately, if you want to sit on the porch and enjoy the rockers in the evening, you will have to look at the back of the movie screen and listen to the movie which is quite loud until late into the evening) And with the new "flowrider" and giant slide going in, it will be even more appealing to kids and more noise for the guest rooms. The adult pool, though nicely surrounded by sound absorbing waterfalls, is quite small. The cabanas do not overlook the pools, they are off in a corner, by themselves, between the pools. There is a "nature trail" around the property, but half of it overlooked the parking lot . The golf course looked very nice, though we did not play. And there were bikes that could be checked out to ride.
I had planned to use the spa for a relaxing massage, but when I saw construction workers carrying construction materials through the yard and saw how close it was to the construction, decided to save my money and wait until I came home.
Two restaurants were open when we were there. The more upscale restaurant was very difficult to find and was reachable only by walking quite a way around the outside of the hotel. It was practically empty. Food and service were fair, and expensive. The restaurant downstairs from the lobby was not bad for breakfast or lunch. The general store had good, reasonably priced breakfast sandwiches, pastries and coffee.
The dinner function put on for the meeting was very well done. The food was good and there was plenty of it. The location/outdoor decorations were fun.
If you are travelling with kids wanting to visit SeaWorld, this might be a good (though expensive) place to stay. If you are adults, hoping for a relaxing, quiet vacation, I think you could do better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side all overlook the parking. Most rooms on the back side overlook the construc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
First and foremost, please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire resort for the inconveniences experienced during your recent visit.

Our guests are extremely important to us and I am saddened to hear that we did not convey that to you. We strive to provide each guest with a positively memorable experience and it is clear to me that we did not deliver this to you.

I do appreciate your 4 star ratings of our sleep quality, rooms, cleanliness and service.

I hope you will allow us another opportunity to deliver the wonderful experience you should have enjoyed your first visit.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Upon our arrival we were pleasantly greeted. The staff were very polite and seemed most helpful. We didn't have a booking and decided to stay on the off chance. My husband booked a suit for our daughter and us and what a lovely surprise that was. The valet parking was great, we just jumped out of the car and straight into the hotel.
Once settled we decided we would like to use the spa facilities. We asked reception to send a list of what was offered and prices, they said it would be with us with 10 mins, we gave up waiting after 10mins and walked there to find out for ourselves.
No therapists were on site so we were only able to use the dry sauna, wet room, jacuzzi and private pool. We paid the price and began to enjoy our relaxing break.... The jacuzzi was lovely, the dry sauna was turned off and stone cold, not what we expected so we went on to use the steam room. Then we went out side and to our dismay the pool was full of leaves, to such an extent we didn't even go in. The manager of the spa was very good, she couldn't apologise enough, she refunded the fees we had been charged for the use of the spa equipment and offered free mini treatments the following day to try and make up for our bad experience. This we gratefully excepted but never got the chance to use.
We then decided to go out and arranged for our car to be brought back by the valet. It was filthy. Covered in dust and when it had been left was very clean, we were told to mention it to front desk which we did.
The suit we stayed in was nice, a little dated but pleasant. The grounds are lovely and surrounded by trees and walk ways. You can imagine our surprise when just before 7.30am workmen started, banging, scraping and dragging something around on the floor on what seemed to be the room above us. i called the front desk and the solution to the problem was to move us rooms, AT 7.30 IN THE MORNING .My husband then called again as the noise got worse and asked to speak with the GM and was informed by the front of desk manager it was her problem to deal with and she wouldn't pass the complaint on or give a name of who we could complain too. Needless to say our 'relaxing' stay was not so relaxing. We all got up packed our cases and went to check out. We left very unhappy, very dissatisfied and felt that if we had been informed there were workmen inside the hotel and especially so close to a room we would be staying in we wouldn't have stayed. We left our relaxing break in a filthy car, tired, hungry and very upset at the service The Hyatt chose to give us and we paid for the privilege of.

Room Tip: Ask if work is going on as they did not offer this information to us as we booked.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hyattlover, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for alerting me to the many problems you experienced during your recent visit. I apologize for the lack of service that seems to have followed you throughout your stay. This is certainly not our standard nor is it the way we want our valued guests to feel when looking back on their Hill Country vacation.

I appreciate you taking the time to speak to me today and I welcome the opportunity to schedule your next visit, where I can assure you that we will deliver the excellent customer care we are known for.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We can't say enough nice things about the staff- Manny, Gilbert, and Rico were the best bellmen we ever had at any hotel (beating out even international hotels!). Maria from Camp Hyatt did an amazing job making all the children feel special, including our own 2 and 7 year old. He loved the activities that were held for kids all day. Our 2year old loved the penne pasta that room service brought us anywhere on the property (even while we watched a movie on the lawn). Best hotel we've ever been to!

• Stayed March 2013
I am thrilled and humbled with your generous 5 star review of your recent visit. I am so happy to read that you and your children enjoyed your recent visit. I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind comments with our resort staff and those mentioned specifically will have a copy of this kind review placed in their employee files.

Thank you for recognizing our bellmen, in-room dining team and our recreation/Camp Hyatt staff. Our Hill Country family strives to provide a warm and welcoming experience to every guest, I am pleased that we delivered that to you.

I hope you will visit us next year when we complete our $35 million renovation and enhancement project. By October, 2013 we will have updated all guest rooms with new flooring, beds, updated furniture and fresh tile in the bathrooms, added a FlowRider®, 22' tower slide restaurant and bar to our 5-acre water playground and added a 20,000 square foot ballroom as well as 11,000 square feet of outdoor event lawns and gardens. Our outdoors will be enhanced with additional lighting and landscaping.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

210-520-4022

Been to Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!